[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
the person after me game - Page 404 - UniLang

the person after me game

Moderators: JackFrost, dEhiN

linguoboy

Re: the person after me game

Postby linguoboy » 2015-02-27, 16:16

TheStrayCat wrote:No, I wouldn't like. But I like writing and talking about my traveling experiences, so I probably could make a good blogger... if I weren't that lazy.

The person after me has regular curtains (not jalousie or anything like that) at their home.
IpseDixit wrote:I have curtains and louvers.
Just so we're clear on terminology here. This is what a louvered/jalousie window looks like:Image

If what you have in mind is something like this:Image
then you're talking about "(Venetian) blinds".

The person below me is happy about the latest progresses in their language(s).[/quote](Progress is not pluralisable in English.)

I'm feeling pretty stagnant, actually. I haven't done much studying lately and it feels like all my competencies are eroding.

The person after me is taking today off.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-02-27, 19:48

I have something of this kind (persiana in Italian):

The person after me is taking today off.

Yes, I took today off.

The person below me will tell us which state / region / province of their country they find the least attractive tourism-wise.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-02-27, 20:20

IpseDixit wrote:I have something of this kind (persiana in Italian):
We call those "shutters".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-02-27, 20:38

IpseDixit wrote:The person below me will tell us which state / region / province of their country they find the least attractive tourism-wise.
Definitely Vallachia.

Which is the most attractive region of the country where the following person lives.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-02-27, 21:45

linguoboy wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:I have something of this kind (persiana in Italian):
We call those "shutters".

What's the difference between a louver and a shutter?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-02-27, 21:50

IpseDixit wrote:What's the difference between a louver and a shutter?
For a start, not all shutters are louvered. (I would suggest that we continue this discussion in a more suitable thread, but I fear being found guilty of "backseat moderating" if I do. So I won't.)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-02-27, 21:57

(I would suggest that we continue this discussion in a more suitable thread, but I fear being found guilty of "backseat moderating" if I do. So I won't.)

Clever tactic! :lol:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-02-27, 22:07

IpseDixit wrote:Clever tactic!
One I learned from the great Cicero himself.

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Lada » 2015-02-28, 10:17

Levike wrote:Which is the most attractive region of the country where the following person lives.

I haven't been to all Russian regions, but among those I've visited I would pick Moscow, St. Petersburg, Karelia, North Caucasus (namely Sochi) and Cheboksary (capital of Chuvashia). It's quite difficult to select only one region as all of them are different and have unique beauty.

The person after me has visited all regions in his country.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-02-28, 17:35

I've spent much of my life in Transylvania and visited Dobruja a good couple of times.
Then I stopped at Wallachia once or twice, but I never got to visit Moldova.

The person below me used to be very picky when he was a child.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.

Viridzen

Postby Viridzen » 2015-03-01, 23:48

Not much, as far as I can remember.

The person after me will say what colour they thought The Dress was.
Please, correct my errors. S'il vous plaît, corrigez mes erreurs.
C2:  (en) B1: Focusing on:  (fr) (A2),  (got)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-03-02, 0:30

White and gold >:(

The person after me has tried to found their own religion.
Last edited by IpseDixit on 2015-03-08, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

hashi
Language Forum Moderator

Postby hashi » 2015-03-02, 1:22

Viridzen wrote:Not much really/often, as far as I can remember.

'Not much' is obviously grammatical, but it feels awkward to say as a response to the question that was put before it. I would only use 'much/many' when describing something quantifiable; being picky does not fall into this. Therefore I would use 'really', or if you want to specify the instances you were picky, then 'often'.

IpseDixit wrote:The person after me has tried to found their own religion.

I have not.

The person after me practices a polytheist religion.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-03-02, 5:39

I don't practice any religion, I only go to churches and temples as a tourist.

The person below me loves maths.

TheStrayCat

Postby TheStrayCat » 2015-03-02, 23:59

I have moved to another continent to study it. Do you think I might not love it? :lol:

The person after me would like to become a snowman.

Viridzen

Postby Viridzen » 2015-03-03, 2:43

hashi wrote:

'Not much' is obviously grammatical, but it feels awkward to say as a response to the question that was put before it. I would only use 'much/many' when describing something quantifiable; being picky does not fall into this. Therefore I would use 'really', or if you want to specify the instances you were picky, then 'often'.

...You do realise English is my native language, right? :)

TheStrayCat wrote:The person after me would like to become a snowman.

No. After his Winter, I never want to be cold again.

The person after me will tell us what book they are reading.
Please, correct my errors. S'il vous plaît, corrigez mes erreurs.
C2:  (en) B1: Focusing on:  (fr) (A2),  (got)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2015-03-03, 3:04

Gender by Greville Corbett. Grammatical gender is just yummy. :mrgreen:

The person after me gets mistaken for someone else when they answer the phone.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

hashi
Language Forum Moderator

Postby hashi » 2015-03-03, 3:37

Viridzen wrote:
hashi wrote:

...You do realise English is my native language, right? :)
Natives still say things awkwardly sometimes ;)

Dormouse559 wrote:The person after me gets mistaken for someone else when they answer the phone.

Apparently I sound very different on the phone to in real life, however I can't say that I've been mistaken for someone else.

The person after me loves libraries.

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Lada » 2015-03-06, 14:52

No, I prefer book stores :)

The person after me can listen to the same song over and over again the whole day long.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-03-06, 15:05

Mostly, that's why I get sick of them pretty fast.

The person below me always gets super-excited before job interviews.

Return to “English”