[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
I have some questions - Page 30 - UniLang

I have some questions

Moderators: JackFrost, dEhiN

LifeDeath

Re: I have some questions

Postby LifeDeath » 2015-01-08, 8:48

Thank you guys so much!

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2015-01-10, 21:28

Now I'm taking an English test and in a text I found this sentence: "The new economy has created great business opportunities as well as great turmoil. Not since the Industrial Revolution have the stakes of dealing with change been so high."
That's what I asked about once. You see the word "been" is used as the free participle, I mean without any form of "have". Can you tell me what it means, beccause I can't understand the second part of the sentence.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2015-01-10, 23:27

LifeDeath wrote:Now I'm taking an English test and in a text I found this sentence: "The new economy has created great business opportunities as well as great turmoil. Not since the Industrial Revolution have the stakes of dealing with change been so high."
That's what I asked about once. You see the word "been" is used as the a free participle. I mean without any form of "have". Can you tell me what it means, because I can't understand the second part of the sentence.
"Been" is being used with "have".

"Not since the Industrial Revolution have the stakes of dealing with change been so high."

That sentence uses an idiomatic word order to change the emphasis. A less marked way of writing the same thing would be:

"The stakes of dealing with change have not been so high since the Industrial Revolution."
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

ling

Postby ling » 2015-01-13, 1:57

LifeDeath wrote:Now I'm taking an English test and in a text I found this sentence: "The new economy has created great business opportunities as well as great turmoil. Not since the Industrial Revolution have the stakes of dealing with change been so high."
That's what I asked about once. You see the word "been" is used as the free participle, I mean without any form of "have". Can you tell me what it means, beccause I can't understand the second part of the sentence.

The "have" is there:

"Not since the Industrial Revolution have the stakes of dealing with change been so high."

It's equivalent to "The stakes of dealing with change have not been so high since the Industrial Revolution."

EDIT: Oh, I see your question has already been answered!
Native:  (en) Advanced:  (zh) Actively studying:  (th) (id) Passively dabbling:  (lkt)

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2015-01-15, 12:53

Thank you all guys!

So one known teacher in her video wrote this sentence: "I am working for them for 2 years already". When people in comments started stirring and resenting(about why she didn't use "have been working"), she said that native speakers usually don't think about any rules. That there's almost no difference between pr. continious and pr. perfect continious for them, and some of them maybe don't even know these words. So I got really interested in that case. Can you tell me, which sentence sounds better and which maybe is incorrect?

"I am working for them for 2 years already."
"I have been working for them for two years already."

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-15, 14:28

LifeDeath wrote:"I am working for them for 2 years already."
"I have been working for them for two years already."

Whenever I hear the first version, I know without a doubt that the speaker is non-native. This is one of the most common errors I hear from learners of English, even those who are fairly advanced otherwise. But I've never once heard a native speaker say it, not ever. Your "teacher" doesn't know what she's talking about. (It's not that annoying Russian woman who's videos you've posted before, is it?)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2015-01-15, 14:50

Yes. That's even was an advanced lesson. So I sometimes watch this lesson with the aim to find any mistakes. I think it's one of important skills - be able to find mistakes. So now I found only one, it's "in the internet". My last question is a mistake too, but people still discuss that.

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2015-01-19, 15:37

Is that possible to say?

"-Do you watch TV?
-No, me not"

I'm asking about the second sentence.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-19, 16:01

LifeDeath wrote:Is that possible to say?

"-Do you watch TV?
-No, me not"

I'm asking about the second sentence.

Absolutely not. Either "No, not me" or "No, I don't". The second is more neutral. The first implies a contrast, e.g. "No, not me, you're thinking of my brother." That because it's an abbreviated form of an emphatic sentence like, "It's not me who watches TV."
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2015-01-25, 20:46

So you once said "never once", I just want to understand the difference between that and just "once". Can you please tell me?
Should I always use an inversion after "never once"?
Can I use an unversion after just "never"?
Like: "Never did I see her smiling".

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-25, 21:12

LifeDeath wrote:So you once said "never once", I just want to understand the difference between that and just "once". Can you please tell me?
"Never once" is both negative and emphatic. The use of "never" as an emphatic replacement for "not" is common colloquially, particularly in British English, e.g.:

"I never said that!" (= "I didn't say that")
"Never again will I mix whiskey and Red Bull!" ("I won't mix whiskey and Red Bull ever again.")

LifeDeath wrote:Should I always use an inversion after "never once"?
Can I use an inversion after just "never"?
Like: "Never did I see her smiling".
You can, but this is elevated/poetic.

If "never once" is the first element in a clause, it triggers inversion, but not if the subject comes before it, e.g. "I never once saw her smiling", "I never saw her smiling once".

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2015-01-27, 18:28

Thanks!

So I just wanted to ask about the word "yet". I once asked something abot that here but it was not enough. Since I realized that I don't know much, my question will consist of two parts:

a. I was always taught that "yet" is used usually in perfect tenses. "He has not come yet", this sentence means that someone is expected, but he is not here by the moment of speaking. Something like that. I'm not sure but maybe I can use it with others tenses like: "He doesn't come yet" or "He didn't come yet". I was taught that we use this word with negative, like it means "still not".
"He has not come yet" = "He still doesn't come". But you remember I asked about the sentence "But I still don't miss you yet", so that's why it confuses me. Either "I don't miss you yet" or "I still don't miss you" are acceptable and mean the same thing to me. That's why the given sentence sounds bad to me. Maybe I do not understand something so please tell me about that.

b. I told you how I was taught to use, but since I started reading books, I have been coming across "yet" in the begining of a sentense or while being used with no negative at all. So that sounds strange to me because I've never learnt how to use in that way. I cannot create an example but I hope that you understand what I'm talking about and help me.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-27, 18:37

LifeDeath wrote:b. I told you how I was taught to use it, but since I started reading books, I have been coming across "yet" in the beginning of a sentence or while being used with no negative at all. SoThat sounds strange to me because I've never learnt how to use it in that way. I cannot create an example but I hope that you understand what I'm talking about and help me.

See: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/yet#Conjunction. (Checking Wiktionary before you pose questions here is never going to be a bad plan.)

As for the rest, I'll respond later.

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2015-01-27, 18:44

Okay. I already read this, but things aren't still understood. I mean not fully. Maybe I don't know where to use "but' and where "yet" (in the middle of a sentence)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-27, 19:34

LifeDeath wrote:Okay. I already read this, but things still aren't still understoodclear to me. I mean not fully. Maybe I don't know where to use "but' and where "yet" (in the middle of a sentence)
There are no firm rules about that; it's purely a matter of style. "Yet" is slightly higher register. In general, I see people using "yet" and "however" to avoid having too many "buts" in the same paragraph or set of paragraphs.

LifeDeath wrote:So I just wanted to ask about the word "yet". I once asked something about that here but it was not enough. Since I realized that I don't know much, my question will consist of two parts:

a. I was always taught that "yet" is used usually in perfect tenses. "He has not come yet"--this sentence means that someone is expected, but he is not here by the moment of speaking. Something like that. I'm not sure but maybe I can use it with others tenses like: "He doesn't come yet" or "He didn't come yet".
Neither sentence would be acceptable IMD. There are other dialects which prefer simple past where I would use the perfect, and "He didn't come yet" would be idiomatic in those. The first sentence sounds non-native. I can imagine a variation of this which works, though:

"It doesn't come in black yet."

In this particular usage, come has the meaning "be available". The interpretation is that a certain product is going to be available in black, but that these models haven't come on the market yet. The verb here is stative, not dynamic, and so allows the use of yet with the present tense. Compare "I don't know yet if he's coming". (Again, know is stative: it indicates a state of possessing a certain knowledge.)

LifeDeath wrote:I was taught that we use this word with a negative, like it means "still not". "He has not come yet" = "He still doesn't come".
Not the same meaning. "He still doesn't come" would be habitual. If you're talking about a single instance, proper usage demands a perfect, i.e. "He still hasn't come."

LifeDeath wrote:But you remember I asked about the sentence "But I still don't miss you yet", so that's why it confuses me. Either "I don't miss you yet" or "I still don't miss you" are acceptable and mean the same thing to me. That's why the given sentence sounds bad to me. Maybe I do not understand something so please tell me about that.
You don't understand emphasis. It's not necessary to have both "still" and "yet" in the same sentence, but using both emphasises the temporary nature of this state of affairs. As you say above, yet implies an expectation that something will happen. Still implies that something might happen but hasn't. It doesn't carry the same sense of inevitability.

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2015-01-27, 22:25

Thank you!

Do you think "yet" can always replace "but"?
For example: "I read that book, yet I didn't understand it". That sounds kind of unnatural to me

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-27, 22:35

LifeDeath wrote:Do you think "yet" can always replace "but"?
No. If one word could always replace another, there'd be no reason to have two words, would there?

LifeDeath wrote:For example: "I read that book, yet I didn't understand it". That sounds kind of unnatural to me
It's not particularly colloquial, but I wouldn't call it "unnatural". Then again, I'm the sort of person who says lest and whilst in ordinary conversation.

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2015-01-28, 15:05

So I found a strange dialog:

"-I want him to respect me
-Then respect you he shall"

Shouldn't it be "Then he shall respect you"?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-28, 15:14

LifeDeath wrote:So I found a strange dialog:

"-I want him to respect me
-Then respect you he shall"

Shouldn't it be "Then he shall respect you"?
Not it you want to topicalise the act of respect. This is called "fronting" and it's reasonably common in colloquial English (although not nearly as common as many other languages). Another example:

"I want you to respect her."
"You I respect, but not her."

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2015-01-28, 15:43

It's just a kind of inversion, isn't it? I think one can also say "I respect you, but not her". Maybe it's a kind of the literature language?

Return to “English”