[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Levi's Questions - UniLang

Levi's Questions

Moderators: JackFrost, dEhiN

Levike

Levi's Questions

Postby Levike » 2014-02-23, 15:40

I'm planning to try the Cambridge Proficiency Test so I'm going to need a lot of help.
So I decided it would be better to make a separate thread since I'll be posting a lot of questions.

From now on please correct my English, every little and tiny mistake.
Even esthetical things or commas and such.
Last edited by Levike on 2014-12-24, 0:14, edited 3 times in total.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

Levike

Re: Levi's Questions

Postby Levike » 2014-02-23, 15:41

Choose the correct word:

___________ you get the job. Where would you go and live?

a. provided
b. supposing
c. as long as
d. unless

I figured out that c. and d. very kind of non-sense so I got stuck between a. and b.
I finally chose a. because it was more appealing.
I later found out that b. is the correct one but I can't comprehend why?

Don't they both mean "With the condition that"?

At a similar sentence "provided" was the correct one.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ciarán12 » 2014-02-23, 20:02

To be honest, I think either would be okay colloquially. I think I would be more likely to say "Supposing you got...".
Beidh Gaeilge líofa chruinn bhlasta agam nó go bhfaighe mé bás san iarracht!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-02-23, 20:59

Levente wrote:Choose the correct word:

___________ you get the job. Where would you go and live?

a. provided
b. supposing
c. as long as
d. unless

I figured out that c. and d. very kind of non-sense so I got stuck between a. and b.
I finally chose a. because it was more appealing.
I later found out that b. is the correct one but I can't comprehend why?

Don't they both mean "With the condition that"?

At a similar sentence "provided" was the correct one.

I think the distinction they're trying to draw is that supposing is more speculative, which matches better with the use of non-past in the same sentence and conditional in the next. That's simply a guess, though.

Wiktionary defines provided as meaning "only if what follows is true" and gives the example sentence "You can go to the party provided you finish all your homework first." A parallel construction with supposing would be something like, "Supposing you finish all your homework, then you could go to the party." ("can" would sound jarring to me here.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-03-01, 1:45

Question:
I'm a native English speaker, and I immediately spotted that this:
Levente wrote:___________ you get the job. Where would you go and live?

a. provided
b. supposing
c. as long as
d. unless
should be this:
Levente wrote:Choose the correct word:

___________ you get the job, where would you go and live?

a. provided
b. supposing
c. as long as
d. unless
Why does the proficiency test contain such a blatant error as a fragment instead of a sentence, especially when it doesn't even represent how people talk?
Well, that was a thing.
speak:  (en) (eo)
learning:  (fr) (de) (ru) (pt) (es) (ro) (art-jbo)
hiatus:  (fi) (it) (la) (wa) (sv) (eu) (zh.Hans) (is)
want to learn:  (fo) (be) (ko) (he) (sw) (hi) (tr) (nl) (cy) (hu)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-03-01, 2:27

I didn't copy-paste it so that's most probably my error.

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-03-01, 2:47

Oh, OK then. It's understandable. :) Just remember this: participles are not verbs.
It's just that I'þ had many bad experiences with standardized tests.
Quick follow-up question: was there anything about a conditional/speculative tense? (because we have that too! :twisted: ). If so, the present participle is almost always the answer. Anyway, I know: so many tenses (and configurations)! Don't worry if it takes a while. Most native speakers don't get it until they're 12. :?
Well, that was a thing.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-03-01, 15:13

Okay, that's very encouraging. :shock:

About the conditional/speculative one I don't remember seeing anything.

One of the hardest exercises I have been doing lately are the ones
where I have to guess which word fits perfectly into a sentence.
There's a long text with gaps ( like 20 ).

Even in Hungarian I'm horrible at crossword-like stuff.

How is it correct:
1. I don't remember seeing it.
2. I don't remember to have seen it.
3. I don't remember having seen it.

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ciarán12 » 2014-03-01, 15:26

Levente wrote:How is it correct:

1 and 3 are both correct, 2 is wrong. I supposed 3 might be slightly more colloquial, but I would say it in most contexts, including in formal/careful speech.
Beidh Gaeilge líofa chruinn bhlasta agam nó go bhfaighe mé bás san iarracht!

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-03-01, 17:24

The best distinction I can see:
2 is wrong. 1 is a specific point in the past (response to: Did you just see a ballerina fly by?). 3 is a broad range of the past (response to: Did you see my keys anywhere?).
It really doesn't matter in everyday speech, though.
Well, that was a thing.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-03-01, 21:02

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:

The best distinction I can see:
2 is wrong. 1 is a specific point in the past (response to: Did you just see a ballerina fly by?). 3 is a broad range of the past (response to: Did you see my keys anywhere?).

(3) couldn't be a response to "Did you see my keys anywhere?" because keys is plural. It also sounds like the querier and the respondent are speakers of divergent dialects. (IMD, the question would be, "Have you seen my keys anywhere?")

There may be cases where the distinction between V + GERUNDIVE and V + having + PARTICIPLE is grammaticalised, but I'd have to check a reference since nothing definitive occurs to me. Pretty much any example I can think of with the latter can be replaced with the former with no real change in meaning.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-03-02, 2:34

linguoboy wrote:(3) couldn't be a response to "Did you see my keys anywhere?" because keys is plural.
Sorry, "Did you see my smartphone anywhere?".
linguoboy wrote:It also sounds like the querier and the respondent are speakers of divergent dialects. (IMD, the question would be, "Have you seen my keys anywhere?")
Either is fine. In English (at least, Denver English, since there seems to a significant gap between that and your Chicagoan English if other threads are anything to go by), I don't see much trans-sentence verb agreement. Instead, I actually see an opposite trend, where a simple verb question gets a perfect verb response, and vice-versa. That said, it could just be a regional thing.
linguoboy wrote:There may be cases where the distinction between V + GERUNDIVE and V + having + PARTICIPLE is grammaticalised, but I'd have to check a reference since nothing definitive occurs to me. Pretty much any example I can think of with the latter can be replaced with the former with no real change in meaning.
Yeah, pretty much.
Well, that was a thing.

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2014-03-03, 6:59

A side note: Cambridge's tests are based on Standard British English.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-03-03, 11:07

You can use American spelling by the way in the written part
and also American pronunciation at the speaking part.

I'm mostly afraid of the listening and reading parts.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-03-07, 14:12

To try my reading skills I tried to read an unknown text.

I posted it in the "How do you sound in the languages you know " thread,
please check it out and tell me what were my mistakes and how could I improve/correct them.

Last time I sounded like a Swedish/Hindi speaker, how about now?

http://unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39320&start=340

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-03-10, 21:37

I could understand you pretty well, but it seemed like you were mumbling words a lot. Annunciation helps a lot for English speakers who aren't used to faster languages.
As for accent, I'd have to say Eastern European, which matches your thingy on the side (>>>). Btw, does anyone know what that's called?
Only one "mistake": don't emphasize adjectives as much unless to distinguish from something else either in context or for a common/proper distinction.
Otherwise, good! Just work on the whole mumbling thing. :wink:
Well, that was a thing.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-03-10, 22:33

Thanks. :D

What do you mean by annunciation?

What thingy on the side?

The emphasis is a problem that I have in every language, it's always randomly up and down. :mrgreen:
I should try to fix that.

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-03-10, 22:51

You're welcome. :)

annunciation:
noun form of "to annunciate"

to annunciate:
to form words clearly; to exaggerate mouth movement

thingy:
Levente

Well, that was a thing.

PiotrR

Postby PiotrR » 2014-03-10, 23:14

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
Last edited by PiotrR on 2014-04-02, 2:02, edited 1 time in total.

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-03-11, 15:56

aaaaaahhhhhh....
my bad! sorry. I get the "e"s and "a"s mixed up a lot. :oops:
Well, that was a thing.

Return to “English”