[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
The word "monkey". - UniLang

The word "monkey".

Moderators: JackFrost, dEhiN

Mars80

The word "monkey".

Postby Mars80 » 2014-10-04, 17:20

Does it include apes? I would say cladistically speaking apes are a type of monkey. "Simian" is a synonym for "monkey" much like "hominoid" is a synonym for "ape". I remember somewhere where I saw it stated that it was incorrect to refer to a chimpanzee as a "monkey" and that seemed strange to me, because cladistically speaking it makes sense to refer to chimps as monkeys.

TeneReef

Re: The word "monkey".

Postby TeneReef » 2014-10-04, 17:34

Technically, these two mean different things, but in general use many people fail to make the distinction, which is similar to the rat/mouse merger in popular registers of some languages (Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, Japanese)...In Brazil, most people consider mice a kind/species of rat, even though they don't have the same genome, the number of chromosomes and cannot mate.

Monkey

1. A small to medium-sized primate that typically has a long tail, most kinds of which live in trees in tropical countries. ● Families Cebidae and Callitrichidae (or Callithricidae) (New World monkeys, with prehensile tails), and Cercopithecidae (Old World monkeys, without prehensile tails).
2. (in general use) any primate.
(NOAD)

Ape
▶ noun a large primate that lacks a tail, including the gorilla, chimpanzees, orangutan, and gibbons. See also great ape, gibbon. ● Families Pongidae and Hylobatidae.
• used in names of macaque monkeys with short tails, e.g., Barbary ape.
• (in general use) any monkey.
(NOAD)
learning:  (ne)  (sv)  (es-ar)  (hi) (Assamese, Gujarati, Hindi, Telugu)

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2014-10-05, 10:12

Mars80 wrote:Does it include apes? I would say cladistically speaking apes are a type of monkey. "Simian" is a synonym for "monkey" much like "hominoid" is a synonym for "ape". I remember somewhere where I saw it stated that it was incorrect to refer to a chimpanzee as a "monkey" and that seemed strange to me, because cladistically speaking it makes sense to refer to chimps as monkeys.
You're correct: speaking purely in cladistic terms, apes would be a kind of monkey, and humans would be a kind of ape. However, like "reptile" and "dinosaur", these terms have been defined paraphyletically, so that not all branches from a common ancestor are included. So in practice, "monkey" means "any simian that's not a hominoid", and "ape" means "any hominoid that's not a human".

To explain a bit further, there was no species that diverged into an all-monkeys lineage and an ape lineage, as many would think. Rather, the common ancestor of all monkeys split first into New World monkeys and Old World monkeys, and it was only later that the apes split from the latter branch.

Similarly, there wasn't one species that diverged into an all-apes lineage and a human lineage. The common ancestor of humans and chimpanzees was itself descended from the common ancestor of chimpanzees and gorillas – and earlier still, from the common ancestor of gorillas and orangutans.

(So we have the interesting fact that a chimp is more closely related to us than to a gorilla, and that a macaque is more closely related to us than to a spider monkey.)
Native:  (en-us) Good:  (es)  (fr) Okay:  (de)  (la) Beginning:  (it) Interested in:  (he)  (hi)  (ru)

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

LishaZen48

Postby LishaZen48 » 2014-10-29, 0:58

It’s a common mistake in media: In commercials, films, and books, chimpanzees are often erroneously called monkeys. While related to monkeys, chimps aren’t actually monkeys at all. Instead, they’re part of a completely separate group of primates known as the great apes.
Lisha
To interpret your dreams click here for a great dream dictionary which is free to analyze dreams at www.dreamdictionarynow.com as it has many dreams a-z and what dreams really mean.

James_Tarrier

Postby James_Tarrier » 2014-12-05, 7:37

I think we think about human category then we see money. There is no difference only categories are different just like human.

Return to “English”