[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Dialects of English - UniLang

Dialects of English

Moderators: JackFrost, dEhiN

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Dialects of English

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-26, 4:21

I'm intrigued by dialect variation in English. Some of the languages I study are English-based creoles that began forming often long before English started to become a standardized language. The dialect variation in England was so extreme in Chaucer's time that people traveling from one town to another often had trouble making themselves understood, and even today, in England, there is an incredible variety of dialects spoken that are not necessarily mutually intelligible. The people who arrived in some of the areas where English-based creoles began forming spoke various dialects of English and probably formed a contact variety that they could use to communicate with each other; it was this variety that contributed to the development of these creoles, and English as we know it would play a role only much later (if at all).

Anyway, I'm just opening this thread so we can have a space to talk about dialect differences in English. :) Are there any differences you know between dialects of English that are interesting to you?

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Dialects of English

Postby Ciarán12 » 2014-11-27, 1:00

I do find the variation in English interesting. Unfortunately, I haven't done much reading on the topic, so my knowledge and interest is mainly impressionistic, not sure how useful that will be to any discussion of this here (but I'll be interested to see others' responses). I find the diversity of Anglic dialects in England and Scotland particularly interesting both because of the age of their independent development and the extent to which they have diverged. England has a rich dialectal diversity, I often get a kind of wanderlust for Geordie and "Black" London English! :) Contact situations are interesting in their own way, but the "ancientness" of the British Anglic dialects (apart from those of Wales and Western Scotland, were the divergence could more likely be influence from the indigenous Celtic languages) to be somehow more appealing. Obviously Irish English is the exception, I'm interested in it because it's what I speak.

Speaking of which, Britain isn't the only place with dialects that are so divergent that speakers can't necessarily understand one another, the clip below is of people from the Cork-Kerry border in Ireland, I have serious difficulty understanding them (especially the guy in the hat)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omtfe7lb-gE
Beidh Gaeilge líofa chruinn bhlasta agam nó go bhfaighe mé bás san iarracht!

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-12-15, 7:45

The differences between Canadian and American are surprising. There's the obvious pop > soda, chocolate bar > candy bar, and others. But I didn't think "soccer-baseball" would be misunderstood. It's literally what it is! It's soccer played like baseball.

Even the lexical differences of Canadian dialects are strange: I didn't know what a bunny hug was until last week.

Can anybody guess what a Canadian-Texan is?
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2014-12-15, 8:09

Koko wrote:The differences between Canadian and American are surprising. There's the obvious pop > soda, chocolate bar > candy bar, and others. But I didn't think "soccer-baseball" would be misunderstood. It's literally what it is! It's soccer played like baseball.
How does that work?

Koko wrote:Can anybody guess what a Canadian-Texan is?
A Texan from Canada and/or whose ancestors are from Canada?
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-12-15, 8:24

Dormouse559 wrote:
Koko wrote:The differences between Canadian and American are surprising. There's the obvious pop > soda, chocolate bar > candy bar, and others. But I didn't think "soccer-baseball" would be misunderstood. It's literally what it is! It's soccer played like baseball.
How does that work?

You know the game "kickball?" Same thing. If not, you play in a baseball diamond and you kick the ball that is rolled in your direction and the rules are basically the same as baseball but the batter kicks.

A Texan from Canada and/or whose ancestors are from Canada?

Nope. Though I do get why you'd think that. Also called Canadian cowboys, Canadian-Texans are Albertans to us BCers :P . Actually, I know only my mom to call them that. "Canadian cowboys" is by far the most common alias for Albertans.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2014-12-15, 17:21

Koko wrote:You know the game "kickball?" Same thing. If not, you play in a baseball diamond and you kick the ball that is rolled in your direction and the rules are basically the same as baseball but the batter kicks.
Oh, well, I don't associate kickball with soccer at all. When I played it, we used a red rubber ball, never a soccer ball. And I don't see much other connection to soccer beyond one person kicking the ball. I mean, all the other players use their hands.

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ciarán12 » 2014-12-15, 18:48

Koko wrote: pop > soda

I thought both of these were (also) found in America, no? I've even heard "soda-pop". Also, we call them "fizzy drinks".

Koko wrote:chocolate bar > candy bar

Which is which? I'm pretty much 100% that AmEng uses "candy bar", and I think everyone else in the Anglosphere says "Chocolate bar".

"kickball"

I've heard this on TV but it never occurred to me that this was a separate game, I thought it was just slang for "soccer" or possibly "American football". I've never heard of the game you guys are describing.
Beidh Gaeilge líofa chruinn bhlasta agam nó go bhfaighe mé bás san iarracht!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-12-15, 22:45

Koko wrote:The differences between Canadian and American are surprising. There's the obvious pop > soda

Dude, everyone around here says "pop". I come from a "soda" region and they act like I'm speaking Martian.

"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-12-16, 3:04

Dormouse559 wrote:
Koko wrote:You know the game "kickball?" Same thing. If not, you play in a baseball diamond and you kick the ball that is rolled in your direction and the rules are basically the same as baseball but the batter kicks.
Oh, well, I don't associate kickball with soccer at all. When I played it, we used a red rubber ball, never a soccer ball. And I don't see much other connection to soccer beyond one person kicking the ball. I mean, all the other players use their hands.

We use a red rubber ball too :lol: . To me, both "kickball" and "football" seem like synonyms to "soccer." I understand "football" for soccer, but the game in NA is better called "handball" IMO (in fact, everyone I know finds it stupid to call a game after the length of the ball used even though we use it whenever reference to football is needed).

Considering you're basically combing the two games (soccer and baseball), to join them together for the name is much more reasonable than calling it kickball because the latter appears to allude to soccer.
linguoboy wrote:Dude, everyone around here says "pop". I come from a "soda" region and they act like I'm speaking Martian.

Everyone here considers "soda" an American term. I have just been proven that's a generalization.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2014-12-16, 6:15

Koko wrote:We use a red rubber ball too :lol: . To me, both "kickball" and "football" seem like synonyms to "soccer." I understand "football" for soccer, but the game in NA is better called "handball" IMO (in fact, everyone I know finds it stupid to call a game after the length of the ball used even though we use it whenever reference to football is needed).
Where did you get the "length of the ball" etymology? I'm not seeing it. As far as I can tell, American football takes its name from soccer.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-12-16, 6:23

Is it not considered a fact where you live? Strange, from various shows we've been told that the name comes from the ball's length.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-12-16, 16:38

Koko wrote:Is it not considered a fact where you live? Strange, from various shows we've been told that the name comes from the ball's length.

I have literally never heard this explanation before in my entire life.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-12-16, 17:01

Dormouse559 wrote:
Koko wrote:We use a red rubber ball too :lol: . To me, both "kickball" and "football" seem like synonyms to "soccer." I understand "football" for soccer, but the game in NA is better called "handball" IMO (in fact, everyone I know finds it stupid to call a game after the length of the ball used even though we use it whenever reference to football is needed).
Where did you get the "length of the ball" etymology? I'm not seeing it. As far as I can tell, American football takes its name from soccer.

Those games are all called football because they simply are different codes of it. American football originated from rugby football, which originally wasn't clearly distinguished from association football (where the word soccer comes from).

See also the Wikipedia article on football.

I'd say it can be compared to a last name: They share the same (last) name because of their common ancestry.
Please correct my mistakes!

Return to “English”