[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
Sociolects in English - UniLang

Sociolects in English

Moderators: dEhiN, JackFrost

Lisi

Sociolects in English

Postby Lisi » 2015-01-21, 16:21

Hello everybody!

As an english learner I only know the "standard" language but don't know much about sociolects such as "miners language", "sufers language" and so on.

Could you teach me some cool words from a sociolect? Thanks! :)

linguoboy

Re: Sociolects in English

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-21, 17:40

I'm only familiar with boring sociolects, those of teachers and librarians.

For contemporary youth sociolects, Urban Dictionary is a fantastic source.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ciarán12 » 2015-01-21, 19:25

Of course, there are also different sociolects within dialects, so you'd have to pick which dialect you are looking for too ;)
Beidh Gaeilge líofa chruinn bhlasta agam nó go bhfaighe mé bás san iarracht!

Lisi

Postby Lisi » 2015-01-21, 19:43

Thanks for your answers.

Okay... what would be interesting? Welsh miner and Hawaian surfer guy (or any other sociolect if none of you speaks one of these).

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ciarán12 » 2015-01-21, 19:54

Lisi wrote:Thanks for your answers.

Okay... what would be interesting? Welsh miner and Hawaian surfer guy (or any other sociolect if none of you speaks one of these).

:lol:

I would be very surprised if there were any Welsh miners here. Hawaian Surfers are somehow more likely, but I still don't know of any here.

I can give you working class and "posh" Dublin, that's about it.
Beidh Gaeilge líofa chruinn bhlasta agam nó go bhfaighe mé bás san iarracht!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-21, 20:16

Lisi wrote:Okay... what would be interesting? Welsh miner and Hawaian surfer guy (or any other sociolect if none of you speaks one of these).
Here's a brief guide to the lexicon of surfing in American English: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_surfing.

There was a fun television spot several years ago which had businessmen negotiating a deal entirely in surf jargon. I'll see if I can't track it down.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

languagelearner33

Postby languagelearner33 » 2015-01-24, 19:09

I agree with that post a few up. urbandictionary.com is a GREAT place to pick up slang terms and such. As someone who's fairly young, I can tell you that it's not every day that I hear someone using "surfer" sociolect/jargon/whatever. I guess it is really dependent on what kind of situation you would like to use your sociolect in. If you're going to a nice dinner with friends or family the sociolect you use is going to differ from what you would use if you were going to a party or to the bars.
Learning Spanish with Conversation Piece

Return to “English”