[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Youngfun - English - UniLang

Youngfun - English

Moderators: JackFrost, dEhiN

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Youngfun - English

Postby Youngfun » 2015-02-24, 15:27

Hello! Welcome to my first personal thread ever in any language forum.

As I already said in the handwritings thread, I've just finished reading the book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey, and I have taken notes about words and sentences that I didn't know.

I will type them here. RED = I'd like to ask you guys what it means.

• But you'd be hard-pressed to find a liar who achieved success over the long haul. =in the long run
  • [When] I crept up on him and took him in my arms [...] =to go like a snake
  • When you do your chores1 at home, or work tonight, try the principle of hard-working. Go the extra mile2 and do more than is expected.
    1tasks
    2do more than usual
  • I didn't know if I would ever get a chance to be first string1, but if I didn't, at least I was going to strike out swinging.
    1regular player
  • As the season began, and the games rolled by one by one, I sat on my bench.
  • The other sea is shrewder1, hoarding2 its income jealously.
    1more clever
    2keeping for future, collecting
  • We should learn from our mistakes, but we shouldn't beat the tar out of ourselves over them. =to figuratively batter ourselves severely?
  • The Grand Teton juts 13,776 feet above sea level. =protrudes, sticks out

Then I have a list of words and idioms, but I was too lazy to copy the context sentence too.

• make amends: to compensate, as for an injury, loss, or insult
  • barnacles: a kind of Crustacea
  • many a sad soul - what's the difference with "many sad souls"?
  • picture-perfect baseball swing - picture perfect means completely perfect, flawless; swing is hitting the ball in baseball.
  • BB gun: a type of air gun
  • carabiners, chalks, pitons: tools for rock climbing
  • hook up a harness and rappel
  • knack: a special skill, talent, or ability
  • runt: small animal; or fig. one who is small
  • switchback trails
  • glacial moraines: glacially formed accumulation of unconsolidated glacial debris
  • saddle: seat on a horse
  • steep: sharply sloped; or brew, infuse
  • strides: to walk with a long step or steps; long step; a step in progress
  • oxygen depletion: running out of oxygen
  • amid cheers
  • thrashed tennis shoes - it doesn't make sense with the dictionary definition of "thrash"
  • embellish: adorn
  • lethargic: drowsy; sluggish; causing lethargy
  • hindsight: the ability to understand something after it has occurred
  • flunk: to fail in school
  • slam on your brakes: to push on a vehicle's brakes suddenly and hard
  • fly off the mouth
  • give the bird: to make a very impolite sign by raising your middle finger towards someone in order to show that you are angry with them
  • take off the lid: to remove the lid* from something; fig. to reveal a set of previously concealed problems
    *lid: cover
  • coveted: greatly desired, strongly or eagerly wished for
  • scrutinize: examine closely
  • slack off: avoid work; loosen
  • rub off: (fig.) be transmitted
  • 40-yard-dash
  • boxed-up: packed
  • rebut: refute, disprove
  • pound (the guy): beat (?)
  • lighten up: take less seriously
  • ring up (groceries): enter price on cash register
  • lash out: attack verbally; try to strike
  • doormat: small carpet inside an entrance; downtrodden person ( (it) zerbino)
  • spend the rest of the week stewing
  • setback: a stopping or delay in one's progress; reverse or defeat.

Then I took note of a sentence that I liked:
The real tragedy is the tragedy of the man who never in his life braces* himself for his supreme effort - he never stretches for his full capacity, never stands up to his full stature.
*brace: to prepare for something unpleasant.

... and of a paragraph that I liked, i.e. this story.
Especially the sentence "Splashes of green adorn its banks [of the sea]" is quite poetic.
Last edited by Youngfun on 2015-02-25, 7:50, edited 1 time in total.

linguoboy

Re: Youngfun - English

Postby linguoboy » 2015-02-24, 15:37

Youngfun wrote:[*]I didn't know if I would ever get a chance to be first string1, but if I didn't, at least I was going to strike out swinging.
A baseball metaphor. A strike is a pitch thrown within the batter's strike zone which the batter does not hit. A batter is not required to swing at any pitch and will often hold off in the hope that the pitcher will throw a ball (a pitch outside of the strike zone). Thus, to "strike out swinging" is to earn your third strike while swinging at a ball rather than letting it glide past you. An equivalent way of expressing the same idea is "go down fighting".

Youngfun wrote:[*]As the season began, and the games rolled by one by one, I sat on my bench.
"Pass individually". Roll by implies a lack of involvement, as if you are just watching passively as they occur.

Youngfun wrote:[*]We should learn from our mistakes, but we shouldn't beat the tar out of ourselves over them. =to figuratively batter ourselves severely?
Exactly.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-02-24, 15:44

Youngfun wrote:many a sad soul - what's the difference with "many sad souls"?
"Many a" is a bit more poetic.

Youngfun wrote:switchback trails
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/switchback

Youngfun wrote:saddle: seat on a horse
If the context is hiking, then this could also refer to a sloped section between two peaks. (I believe sella is used the same way in Italian.)

Youngfun wrote:amid cheers
In the middle of cheers, with cheers happening all around.

Youngfun wrote:thrashed tennis shoes - it doesn't make sense with the dictionary definition of "thrash"
Perhaps "badly worn"? Could use the example sentence here.

Youngfun wrote:fly off the mouth
This doesn't really make sense to me without context.

Youngfun wrote:pound (the guy): beat (?)
Yes.

Youngfun wrote:spend the rest of the week stewing
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/stew#Verb (def. 4)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

ling

Postby ling » 2015-02-25, 5:22

linguoboy wrote:
Youngfun wrote:saddle: seat on a horse
If the context is hiking, then this could also refer to a sloped section between two peaks. (I believe sella is used the same way in Italian.)

Same in Chinese: 鞍部
Native:  (en) Advanced:  (zh) Actively studying:  (th) (id) Passively dabbling:  (lkt)

ling

Postby ling » 2015-02-25, 6:20

Youngfun wrote:Go the extra mile2 and do more than is expected.

Covey's statement is actually redundant, because "go the extra mile" means "do more than is expected".

The phrase "go the extra mile" has its origins in the Bible:

"And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain." (And if someone forces you to go a mile, go two miles with him.) - Matthew 5:41
Native:  (en) Advanced:  (zh) Actively studying:  (th) (id) Passively dabbling:  (lkt)

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2015-02-25, 9:56

Thank you both!

Funnily, I didn't know either of Italian sella and of Chinese 鞍部 used that way.

"Fly off the mouth" will remain on hold, as I don't feel like going through the whole book to find the whole sentence. But I could also have made a mistake when transcribing it on my notes.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-02-25, 15:13

Youngfun wrote:"Fly off the mouth" will remain on hold, as I don't feel like going through the whole book to find the whole sentence. But I could also have made a mistake when transcribing it on my notes.
Could it have been "fly off at the mouth"? "Fly off the handle" is an idiom for "become angry". To "fly off at the mouth" is to verbally express that anger, generally by means of expletives and imprecations.

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2015-02-26, 9:22

Apparently, Googling "fly off the mouth" with quotation marks gives 6 results.

But you were right. It's "fly off at the mouth". So thank you again.
I managed to find the passage on Google Books:

What do you do? Do you fly off at the mouth? Give 'em the bird? Let it ruin your day? Lose bladder control? Or do you just let it go? Laugh about it. Move on.

Return to “English”