[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
Use of 'nor' - UniLang

Use of 'nor'

Moderators: dEhiN, JackFrost

Fabiola79

Use of 'nor'

Postby Fabiola79 » 2015-03-15, 16:33

Hi !

Is this sentence correct:

[ ʃ ] in Polish is pronounced without any trace of palatalisation, unlike in English nor in Hebrew.

Have I used here 'nor' correctly ?

Thank you for your answer

Levike

Re: Use of 'nor'

Postby Levike » 2015-03-15, 16:47

Unlike in English or in Hebrew

"Nor" you would use in situations like: Neither Poland nor the Czech Republic got into the finals
Meaning that none of them got into the finals.
So I think it comes together with "neither".

So you should use it in constructions like: Neither A nor B

I'm not native so I could be wrong.
Hungarian (hu) Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára. _______German (de) Wo ein Wille ist, da ist auch ein Weg.
English (en) Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. __Spanish (es) No hay ceguera peor que no querer mirar.
Romanian (ro) Nu întinde arcul până nu este bine aşezată săgeata.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-15, 16:51

Fabiola79 wrote:Is this sentence correct:

[ ʃ ] in Polish is pronounced without any trace of palatalisation, unlike in English nor in Hebrew.

Have I used here 'nor' correctly?
No, you have not. "Unlike" is not a negative word like "neither", so it pairs with "or" rather than "nor".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-03-15, 16:59

Levike wrote:Unlike in English or in Hebrew

"Nor" you would use in situations like: Neither Poland nor the Czech Republic got into the finals
Meaning that none of them got into the finals.
So I think it comes together with "neither".

So you should use it in constructions like: Neither A nor B

That's not the only case where you can use nor.

Nor appears as a coordinator paired correlatively with neither ([50.i]), or non-correlatively as a variant of or in negative contexts ([50.ii]):

[50]

i.a-b . . .

ii.a The change won't be as abrupt as in 1958 nor as severe as in 1959.

ii.b No state shall have a share less than 50% nor more than 70%.

ii.c Serious art is not for the lazy, nor for the untrained.

In [ii] nor could be replaced by or, which is much more common: the version with nor perhaps gives added emphasis to the negation. . . . The difference is that in [i] all the coordinates are marked as negative, whereas in the non-correlative [ii] the first coordinate (as abrupt as in 1958, etc.) is not marked as negative within the coordination itself, but falls within the scope of a preceding negative.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... or-correct

JackFrost
Global Moderator

Postby JackFrost » 2015-03-15, 18:05

Yes, it can be used with any negative word, not just neither.

Yet, for sure don't be surprised to see "or" instead. "Nor" is simply more on the formal side and is not always used in everyday speech at least in my personal experience.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Return to “English”