[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
The How do you Pronounce X Thread - Page 172 - UniLang

The How do you Pronounce X Thread

Moderators: JackFrost, dEhiN

thepolishguy

Re: The How do you Pronounce X Thread

Postby thepolishguy » 2014-08-30, 22:17

If we're talking about yod coalesceners, I'd say no. People who maintain the /tj/ - /tʃ/ contrast have (probably not that many) minimal pairs like tew /tjuː/ - chew /tʃuː/. For yod coalescencers both words are always pronounced /tʃuː/.

Even Wells in the third edition of LPD shows the yod coalescence as a phonemic change, at least that's how I interpret it:
tjuː → tʃuː

No square brackets, and he states that his transcriptions are phonemic, rather than phonetic.
Please correct my mistakes!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-08-30, 23:02

How does he deal with yod coalescence across morpheme boundaries?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2014-08-31, 0:08

As in "caught you"? Presumably that would still be explained by allophony, as in any other dialect, since an underlying /t/ would be clear if the speaker said the first word in isolation. But if that speaker has consistent yod coalescence within words and always says the first syllable of "Tuesday" homophonous with "choose", and "dune" homophonous with "June", then I don't see why those words would be analyzed with anything but /tʃ/ and /dʒ/. AmEng has yod coalescence too, though more limited, and nobody analyzes "situation" as having /tj/, or "education" as having /dj/.
Native:  (en-us) Good:  (es)  (fr) Okay:  (de)  (la) Beginning:  (it) Interested in:  (he)  (hi)  (ru)

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

thepolishguy

Postby thepolishguy » 2014-08-31, 5:28

linguoboy wrote:How does he deal with yod coalescence across morpheme boundaries?

It's optional, at least in case of /t/: without you /wɪð.aʊt.juː/, [wɪð.aʊʔ.juː] ~ [wɪð.aʊtʃ.(j)uː]. [wɪðaʊt(ʲ).juː] is probably possible for yod coalesceners, but probably rarer than the second form.
I need you is commonly pronounced [aɪ.niːdʒ.(j)uː].

Sequences /t.ɹ/ and /d.ɹ/ behave similarly:
might ride /maɪt.ɹaɪt/, [maɪʔ.ɹaɪd] ~ [maɪtɹ̝̊.(ɹ)aɪd];
I need Ryan /aɪ.niːd.ɹaɪ(.)ən/, [aɪ.niːd.ɹaɪ(.)ən] ~ [aɪ.niːdɹ̝.(ɹ)aɪ(.)ən].

I'm not actually sure if /tɹ/, /dɹ/ are pure affricates or sequences of affricates and approximants. It probably depends on the tempo of speech; you'd expect less precise realizations when speaking faster.

So, to answer your question, he doesn't transcribe it other than /t.j/ and /d.j/.

Lazar Taxon wrote:But if that speaker has consistent yod coalescence within words and always says the first syllable of "Tuesday" homophonous with "choose", and "dune" homophonous with "June", then I don't see why those words would be analyzed with anything but /tʃ/ and /dʒ/.

That is exactly the case in much of the southern UK (Norfolk excluded, of course :D) and most of Australia.
Please correct my mistakes!

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-09-01, 0:40

thepolishguy wrote:[maɪtɹ̝̊.(ɹ)aɪd];
[aɪ.niːdɹ̝.(ɹ)aɪ(.)ən].

Am I the only one who thinks these sound like "my tried" and "I knee dryin'"?

telruen

Postby telruen » 2014-09-01, 16:02

I don't do that with /t.r/ and /d.r/. Doesn't sound right at all.
But I do affricate /tr/ and /dr/ clusters, as in "train", "dream", "stream", etc.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-09-01, 17:32

Yeah, it only happens (AFAIK, anyway) in the syllable onset, not across word boundaries. But that could just be me generalizing from limited data.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-09-17, 0:04

For me, yod coalescence happens across word boundaries very rarely. The same with /tr//dr/ affrication.

Change of subject: how do you pronounce "February?"

I say [ˈfɛˑ.bju.ˌ(w)ɛriː].

This was brought to mind when I found in my dictionary that it should be either /ˈfɛbjʊrɪ/ or /ˈfɛbɹʊərɪ/. Both sounded just so bizarre and outlandish I had to ask how you all pronounce the month's name. Of course, I know they can't perfectly show how it should pronounced, but something more likely would be helpful.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

hashi
Language Forum Moderator

Postby hashi » 2014-09-17, 6:39

When I say it fast: ['febəɹi]
When I "annunciate" properly: ['febjʉɹi]

ling

Postby ling » 2014-09-17, 6:49

Koko wrote:For me, yod coalescence happens across word boundaries very rarely. The same with /tr//dr/ affrication.

Change of subject: how do you pronounce "February?"

I say [ˈfɛˑ.bju.ˌ(w)ɛriː].

This was brought to mind when I found in my dictionary that it should be either /ˈfɛbjʊrɪ/ or /ˈfɛbɹʊərɪ/. Both sounded just so bizarre and outlandish I had to ask how you all pronounce the month's name. Of course, I know they can't perfectly show how it should pronounced, but something more likely would be helpful.

I say [ˈfɛb. ju.ˌer. iː].

I'm belong to the contingent of speakers who treat the first "r" in February as silent. And yes, it's 4 syllables when enunciated: FEB-yoo-Air-ee. Any fewer is quick and/or lazy speech.

No idea why the dictionary would end the syllable with [ɪ]. I can't think of any word (in standard American English at least) that ends with that vowel. It should be [i].
Native:  (en) Advanced:  (zh) Actively studying:  (th) (id) Passively dabbling:  (lkt)

telruen

Postby telruen » 2014-09-17, 9:22

I pronounce it more like /fɛbjʊ(w)eri/

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-09-17, 10:34

Koko wrote:This was brought to mind when I found in my dictionary that it should be either /ˈfɛbjʊrɪ/ or /ˈfɛbɹʊərɪ/.

According to the Canadian Oxford Dictionary, it's
ˈfebju:eri, ˈfebru:-

usage: To pronounce February in the way traditionally regarded as correct is not easy. It requires the explicit pronunciation of both the r following the Feb- and the r in -ary, with an unstressed vowel in between. In popular pronunciation, the rə following Feb- has been replaced by a yoo sound: Feb-yoo- rather than Feb-roo-. This change is due to two processes: dissimilation, in which one sound identical with or similar to an adjacent sound is replaced by a different sound, and analogy, in which a member of a series, in this case January, affects the sound of another member (February) of the series. Feb-yoo- is now the norm, esp. in spontaneous speech, and is fast becoming a standard pronunciation.

(New Oxford American Dictionary)
learning:  (ne)  (sv)  (es-ar)  (hi) (Assamese, Gujarati, Hindi, Telugu)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-09-17, 17:28

Listening more carefully, I actually say [ˈfɛbju(ː)ˌ(w)eɹi]. Still, so far what my dictionary says has been proven bizarre…

Should mention that it's a dictionary that uses something like:

/y speek ing-glish and hav an in-trest in ling-gwis-tiks/

And uses <er> for /ər/ and /ɜr/. So its finally /-i/ (<i>=/I/) may just be me technicalising the given phonemes: it's really difficult to tell what they mean when they use anything but IPA.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-09-20, 4:46

/ˈfɛbjuːɛriː/ or /ˈfɛbruːɛriː/ if I'm being careful.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-09-20, 13:37

ling wrote:No idea why the dictionary would end the syllable with [ɪ]. I can't think of any word (in standard American English at least) that ends with that vowel. It should be [i].

Final [ɪ] is a British English feature. I don't know if Koko was looking at a British dictionary or just one which has been influenced by British models.

The version with one /r/ is part of my native dialect, but I taught myself to say February just as I learned to say library and hamburger. The reason is that in my milieu, these are all shibboleths. (By contrast I continue to drop the first /r/ in surprise--something I've never been corrected on and didn't even realise I was doing until relatively recently.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-09-20, 19:22

Weird. To pronounce the first /r/ in February needs a little effort for me. I thought that it became just an etymological thing that it remains in the word.

linguoboy wrote:The version with one /r/ is part of my native dialect, but I taught myself to say February just as I learned to say library and hamburger. The reason is that in my milieu, these are all shibboleths. (By contrast I continue to drop the first /r/ in surprise--something I've never been corrected on and didn't even realise I was doing until relatively recently.)

I absolutely hate hearing libary and not librrrrrrrrrrrrrrrary. The r should never be dropped there: you sound like a child who hasn't quite learned the word yet.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-09-20, 23:48

Koko wrote:I absolutely hate hearing libary and not librrrrrrrrrrrrrrrary. The r should never be dropped there: you sound like a child who hasn't quite learned the word yet.

Like I said, it's a shibboleth. And--as you've just demonstrated--people can be quite judgmental about it.

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2014-09-21, 11:38

I'm trying to pronounce the r in hamburger and surprise, and it's hard...

Febyuary sounds weird to me ....... our English teachers in Italy have always taught us /'fɛbruari/

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-09-21, 18:10

You've been taught to pronounce the a as /a/ in that word?

How do you drop the first /r/ in hamburger and surprise? Lengthen the vowel instead?

Ektoras

Postby Ektoras » 2014-09-21, 18:24

Our English teacher used to pronounce 'library' as: lie-bree, without the extra luh in the middle. So I kinda pronounce it that way. How bad is it?

Return to “English”