[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 214: Undefined offset: 1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
The How do you Pronounce X Thread - Page 173 - UniLang

The How do you Pronounce X Thread

Moderators: JackFrost, dEhiN

linguoboy

Re: The How do you Pronounce X Thread

Postby linguoboy » 2014-09-21, 18:50

Koko wrote:How do you drop the first /r/ in hamburger and surprise? Lengthen the vowel instead?

Why would I lengthen the vowel? These are unstressed syllables. You just reduce everything following the onset to a shwa.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-09-21, 19:32

I've never said /ˈlaɪbɛriː/ or heard /ˈlaɪbriː/, nor have I heard /ˈhæmbəɡɚ/. How about /ˈnuːkjəlɚ/? I used to say that until I taught myself to sayˈ/nuːkliːr/.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-09-21, 19:50

mōdgethanc wrote:I've never said /ˈlaɪbɛriː/ or heard /ˈlaɪbriː/, nor have I heard /ˈhæmbəɡɚ/. How about /ˈnuːkjəlɚ/? I used to say that until I taught myself to sayˈ/nuːkliːr/.

I say /ˈnuːkliər/. I think everyone said /ˈnuːkjəlɚ/ at one point until they found out it was wrong. For me, it didn't help that my gr.1-2/3/4 teachers had resources (gr.1 more so) using the "nucular" spelling.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-09-22, 16:14

How do you pronounce interesting and comfortable in North American English?

/ˈɪnərestɪŋ/ or /ˈɪntrəstɪŋ/
/ˈkʌmftɚbəl/ or /ˈkʌmftəbəl/

:hmm:
learning:  (ne)  (sv)  (es-ar)  (hi) (Assamese, Gujarati, Hindi, Telugu)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-09-22, 16:18

TeneReef wrote:How do you pronounce interesting and comfortable in North American English?

Are you asking us to choose one of each pair? In that case, I don't know if I can, because I'm pretty sure I use both, with a tendency to favour /ˈɪnərestɪŋ/ and /ˈkʌmftɚbəl/.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2014-09-22, 16:43

Koko wrote:You've been taught to pronounce the a as /a/ in that word?

Most English teachers in Italy have a heavy Italian accent. Or don't bother to correct the accent in their students.

How do you drop the first /r/ in hamburger and surprise? Lengthen the vowel instead?

No, I don't. Of course, my non-native pronunciation is full of oddities. :lol:

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-09-22, 18:44

TeneReef wrote:How do you pronounce interesting and comfortable in North American English?

:hmm:

The second (the /ə/ in interesting more front) for both. If I'm really careful: /ˈɪntərˌɛstɪŋ/. However, I usually go for /ˈɪnnəɹstɪŋ/ (or /ˈɪntəɹstɪŋ/) spelt intersting or (if I'm going for a more phonemic one when I spelling when I want to write /ˈɪnnəɹstɪŋ/) innersting. I may also raise the /s/ if I'm in a more casual setting or just want to.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-09-25, 15:51

Koko wrote:However, I usually go for /ˈɪnnəɹstɪŋ/
I doubt you have a real geminated /n/ there.
I may also raise the /s/ if I'm in a more casual setting or just want to.
I don't know what this means. Explain, please.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-09-26, 6:59

mōdgethanc wrote:
Koko wrote:However, I usually go for /ˈɪnnəɹstɪŋ/
I doubt you have a real geminated /n/ there.
Doubt all you want, it's one of the few words I have a geminate consonant. I sometimes geminate a /s/ and (only) across word boundaries a final consonant is sometimes geminated before a vowel. This is probably why I find the geminates easier to pronounce than most native English speakers would, no matter how rare it occurs in my speech. It may also be (along with my more conservative allophones) why a few (2) people think I have an accent.

I may also raise the /s/ if I'm in a more casual setting or just want to.
I don't know what this means. Explain, please.

I think I meant "lower the /s/," when the phoneme sounds somewhere between an esse and an esh, but pronounced like /s/. Sorry for my horrible description, I just know it's apical and sounds like an esh.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-09-27, 4:56

Koko wrote:Doubt all you want, it's one of the few words I have a geminate consonant.
Recordings or it didn't happen.
I sometimes geminate a /s/ and (only) across word boundaries a final consonant is sometimes geminated before a vowel. This is probably why I find the geminates easier to pronounce than most native English speakers would, no matter how rare it occurs in my speech. It may also be (along with my more conservative allophones) why a few (2) people think I have an accent.
What are you, an Italian or something?
I think I meant "lower the /s/," when the phoneme sounds somewhere between an esse and an esh, but pronounced like /s/. Sorry for my horrible description, I just know it's apical and sounds like an esh.
To be frank, this is why I'm doubtful of your claims above. I think you mean retracted, by the way.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-09-27, 5:36

I'm a quarter Italian actually. And just because I can't describe how I slur my /s/ in "innersting" properly doesn't seem a good reason not to believe that I geminate consonants sometimes, because a) the two have nothing in common b) the /s/ I suck at describing is forced, not allophonic and finally c) since I've began linguistics, I've noticed some things about my speech and I realised final consonants can be geminated across word boundaries before a vowel-initial word. This usually happens with fricatives and when I stress (not place accent on) a plosive.

A recording wouldn't help, as the gemination is unpredictable.

telruen

Postby telruen » 2014-09-28, 12:48

A geminated /n/ in "interesting" would sound so weird that people would be giving you strange looks all the time.
Here's what a geminated /n/ sounds like:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... -panna.ogg

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-09-28, 17:58

I know what gemination sounds like on /n/. And nobody gives me weird looks, I doubt they even notice that much.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-09-28, 23:13

Oh, I apparently didn't mention that /ˈɪnnəɹstɪŋ/ is also my pronunciation when I want to pronounce the word stupidly. So it's meant to sound weird anyways if one were to notice the double /n/ (geminate consonants don't sound weird). An intervocalic /l/ is sometimes geminated, too; I noticed this today when I said a brand name to myself and later in a sentence.

The fact that a forced pronunciation causes such skepticism baffles me: I stated before that it's forced, so it's not like you could've thought it was how I actual pronounce the word (I did say I pronounce "interesting" as /ˈɪntrəstɪŋ/). I even gave you a spelling of my idiotic variation: intersting and innersting (the latter being the more controversial).

hashi
Language Forum Moderator

Postby hashi » 2014-09-28, 23:24

[ɪntʃɹɪstiŋ] for me if anyone is [ɪntʃɹɪstɪd]. The [ɪ] may be [ɘ], but I can't tell.

dEhiN
Language Forum Moderator

Postby dEhiN » 2014-09-30, 14:20

hashi wrote:[ɪntʃɹɪstiŋ] for me if anyone is [ɪntʃɹɪstɪd]. The [ɪ] may be [ɘ], but I can't tell.

For me, it's both [ɪntɹɘstiŋ] and [ɪntɹɘstɘd].
Je veux parler toutes les langues dans le monde!

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-10-01, 15:55

dEhiN wrote:
hashi wrote:[ɪntʃɹɪstiŋ] for me if anyone is [ɪntʃɹɪstɪd]. The [ɪ] may be [ɘ], but I can't tell.

For me, it's both [ɪntɹɘstiŋ] and [ɪntɹɘstɘd].
Innaresting!

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2014-10-02, 5:03

And you're both from Tuh-ronno!

Mars80

Postby Mars80 » 2014-10-04, 17:10

How is the word "broccoli" pronounced for those with the lot-cloth split? Is it pronounced "brawkly" or "brockly"?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-10-04, 19:03

Mars80 wrote:How is the word "broccoli" pronounced for those with the lot-cloth split? Is it pronounced "brawkly" or "brockly"?

For me, it goes with lot (i.e. /ɑ/).

Return to “English”