[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Sveiki - UniLang

Sveiki

Moderator: Sol Invictus

Cesare M.

Sveiki

Postby Cesare M. » 2011-07-03, 19:09

Please correct my Latvian if it has any mistakes because it looks like it has a lot of them, and also when you correct my Latvian, please also translate the English words in the brackets. Thanks.

Sveiki. Manu Latviešu nelabai, ir noriau (to practice) Latviešu (on) UniLang. Lūdzu, (if) manu Latviešu vai (any errors), ludzu korrekte. Paldies. :)

mak

Re: Sveiki

Postby mak » 2011-07-04, 6:10

What you wrote is incomprehensible. Can you provide an English translation?

Cesare M.

Postby Cesare M. » 2011-07-05, 17:13

mak wrote:What you wrote is incomprehensible. Can you provide an English translation?

Sure, my Latvian sucks! :D

What I wanted to write was:

"Hello, my Latvian is not very good, so I wanted to practice Latvian on UniLang. Please, if my Latvian has any mistakes, please correct them. Thanks."

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2011-07-15, 22:27

nelabai, ir noriau ? :biglol: Look given the differences in languages, it isn't as easy to translate so you would understand and it would be gramaticaly correct. I for one would be much more motivated to do it, if you at least would have the courtesy to look in the right dictionary

But, bweh... That would be:

Sveiki. Mana latviešu valoda ir slikta, tāpēc es vēlos pamācīties UniLang. Ja manā latviešu valodā ir kļūdas, lūdzu, labojiet, paldies!
I speak:  (lv) (en) I understand some:  (de) (ru) Toying with:  (es)

Cesare M.

Postby Cesare M. » 2011-11-29, 18:11

Sol Invictus wrote:nelabai, ir noriau ? :biglol: Look given the differences in languages, it isn't as easy to translate so you would understand and it would be gramaticaly correct. I for one would be much more motivated to do it, if you at least would have the courtesy to look in the right dictionary

But, bweh... That would be:

Sveiki. Mana latviešu valoda ir slikta, tāpēc es vēlos pamācīties UniLang. Ja manā latviešu valodā ir kļūdas, lūdzu, labojiet, paldies!

Paldies, es nezinu, bet es domāju, ka varu runati labāku latviešu valoda tagad, bet atkal, es nezinu. Es iedzēru tiešsaistes kursu uzlabot mana latviešu valoda. ;)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2011-11-29, 18:43

Cesare M. wrote:Paldies, es nezinu, bet es domāju, ka varu runati labāku latviešu valoda tagad, bet atkal, es nezinu. Es iedzēru tiešsaistes kursu uzlabot mana latviešu valoda. ;)

Tajā kursā nemācījos akuzatīvu?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Cesare M.

Postby Cesare M. » 2011-11-29, 19:03

linguoboy wrote:
Cesare M. wrote:Paldies, es nezinu, bet es domāju, ka varu runati labāku latviešu valoda tagad, bet atkal, es nezinu. Es iedzēru tiešsaistes kursu uzlabot mana latviešu valoda. ;)

Tajā kursā nemācījos akuzatīvu?

Jā, es domāju...

mak

Postby mak » 2011-11-29, 19:44

Hahahahahaha! iedzert kursu. I'm borrowing this one. From now on I'll be saying es iedzēru tiešsaistes kursu, lai uzlabotu savas prasmes :D

Look up dzert or iedzert in the dictionary.

linguoboy wrote:Tajā kursā nemācija/neiemācija/neiemācījies akuzatīvu?

Cesare M.

Postby Cesare M. » 2011-11-29, 20:35

mak wrote:
Hahahahahaha! iedzert kursu. I'm borrowing this one. From now on I'll be saying es iedzēru tiešsaistes kursu, lai uzlabotu savas prasmes :D

Look up dzert or iedzert in the dictionary.

linguoboy wrote:Tajā kursā nemācija/neiemācija/neiemācījies akuzatīvu?

Atvainojiet, es gribēju teikt, "es uzzināju no tiešsaistes kursu".

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2011-11-30, 8:20

apguvu kursu, lai uzlabotu savu :wink: +tagad varu runāt labāk

At least know it's comprehensible and not part Lithuanian

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2011-11-30, 21:16

Sol Invictus wrote:At least know it's comprehensible and not part Lithuanian

Vai tu vari lasīt Lietuviešu valodu?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2011-12-01, 11:57

Lasīt jau var daudz ko ;) es neprotu lietuviešu valodu, bet māku to atšķirt no citām (un protams es zinu kādu vārdu manā dzimtajā valodā nav)

Cesare M.

Postby Cesare M. » 2011-12-02, 0:57

Paldies. Atkal, atvainojiet par nepareiza tulkojuma. Nekad neesmu apmeklējuši Latvija agrāk, un es gribu tur apmeklēt vienu dienu. Es gribu zinat, vai jums ir sniega ar Latvija tagad, kā Kanāda?

mak

Postby mak » 2011-12-02, 5:02

Hey, Cesare.

I don't know how much you already know about languages but I would like to point out that since Latvian and English belong to different language families (Baltic and Germanic respectively) it's often not possible to translate word for word. While the translation might be understandable, it doesn't really sound natural.

Here are my suggestions how to make your text sound more natural.

Paldies. Atkal, atvainojiet par nepareiza tulkojuma.
We don't use Again, ... like this in Latvian. You have to use a different expression like Kā jau teicu, ... (as I said, ...). However, it doesn't work in this sentence and I can't think of any other expressions right now.

Atvaino and atvainojiet mean I apologize or Execuse me. To say you're sorry, you can say piedod, piedodiet or piedošanu. Also, I don't think we say sorry as much as you do in English. Piedod, piedodiet, atvaino, atvainojiet are all in the imperative mood and we use an exclamation mark at the end of the sentence.

I'm not 100% sure but I think par always takes the accusative. You used the genitive case.

Nekad neesmu apmeklējuši Latvija agrāk, un es gribu tur apmeklēt vienu dienu.
To say you've never been to a country you should say I've never been in Latvia which is Nekad neesmu bijis Latvijā. in <location> is almost always translated as a noun in the locative case. Since almost all countries and cities are feminine in Latvian, it means changing the final -a or -e to -ā or -ē.

Use the -is ending if you're male and -usi if you're female. -uši is masculine plural, but es is singular.

You are contrasting two things (never been to a country, would like to visit it) so it's better to use but instead of and. Did you know that bet and taču are interchangable?

Here are different ways to say I want and I would like in Latvian, ordered by "politeness": man gribas, es gribu, es vēlos, es gribētu, es vēlētos. All of these verbs can be followed by a noun in the accusative case or a verb in the infinitive. Typically you'd use the first only in a conversation and for some reason I dislike the second one. The third literaly means I wish but we use it to say I want as well. The last two mean I'd like.

"I've never been to a country, but I'd like to visit it". visit there or apmeklēt tur doesn't make much sense so I used visit it or to apmeklēt in the corrected text below.

I think one day is idiomatic in English since it doesn't make logical sense. If it's not logical, try to avoid it since it might be idiomatic. In Latvian you can say kādu dienu which means some day.

Es gribu zinat, vai jums ir sniega ar Latvija tagad, kā Kanāda?
It should be jums ir sniegs because possession in Latvian is expressed as dative (subject) + ir + nominative (object). sniega is in the genetive case. You only use the genetive if you mean you don't have snow i.e. jums nav sniega.

Place adverbs before a verb not at the end of a sentence like in English unless you have a very good reason not to.

Also, in Latvian sentences are separated by a single space not two.

Paldies! Piedodiet par nepareizo tulkojumu! Nekad neesmu bijis Latvijā, taču gribētu to kādu dienu apmeklēt. Es gribu zināt, vai jums Latvijā tagad ir sniegs tāpat kā Kanādā?

Spriežot pēc Sol Invictus norādītās atrašanās vietas, ne viņa, ne es, neesam bijuši Latvijā kādu laiku, un mums nav ne jausmas, vai Latvijā tagad ir sniegs. Pie manis Itālijā katru dienu ir saulains, un tuvākajā slēpošanas kūrortā sezona tiek atlikta jau kuro reizi sniega trūkuma dēļ.

Man katru dienu sanākt pusdienot vai sastapt lietuviešus, un es nesaprotu ne vārda, ko viņi runā. Kā arī parastākie priekšmetu nosaukumi (nazis, dakša, karote, šķīvis u.tml.) nav ne tuvu līdzīgi nosaukumiem lietviešu valodā, un nezkāpēc latviešu vārdi lietuviešos vienmēr izraisa pamatīgu smieklu lēkmi.

ciuppo2000

Postby ciuppo2000 » 2011-12-02, 7:34

...pašreiz Latvijā sniega nav... :wink:

...Mak...kā parasti biji ļoti kodolīgs un precīzs... :yep:

Cesare! Lūdzu, iztulko sekojošo angļu valodas teikumu latviešu valodā:

''The lion is eating a sheep''.

ciuppo2000 :)

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2011-12-02, 10:58

mak wrote:I think one day is idiomatic in English since it doesn't make logical sense.

Oh, no it does - I thought he means the duration of his stay in Latvia

And mak, your sentence on snow still looks artificial, I think "do you have" is also English and we probably wouldn't really use jums un, šķiet Kanādai ir jābūt teikuma vidū - Es gribētu zināt, vai Latvijā, tāpat kā Kanādā, tagad ir sniegs?

Sol Invictus dzīvojas pa abām valstīm, bet to profilā nevar norādīt :D Igaunijā ir ļoti silts, tāpēc stipri šaubos vai Latvijā snieg, nekas tāds vismaz nav dzirdēts. Globālā sasilšana.

Un leiši... agrāk bieži lasīju uz iepakojumiem lietuviešu tekstu (jo ne jau tikai viņiem latviešu vārdi jautri) pēc kā tas aptuveni izskatās apmēram skaidrs, pat attāli var saprast par ko ir runa, bet kad viņi atver muti neko nesaprast :lol:

ciuppo2000

Postby ciuppo2000 » 2011-12-02, 11:10

...un kā parasti Sol Invictus bija...ļoti piekasīga :wink:

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2011-12-02, 11:17

ciuppo2000 wrote:...un kā parasti Sol Invictus bija...ļoti piekasīga :wink:

Par ko tad? Ja tas par sniegu, tad mak pirmais sāka precizēt. Un es varbūt gatavojos mirklim kad tiks iztulkots teikums ko tu ieteici :roll: ko tu ceri ar to panākt?

Cesare M.

Postby Cesare M. » 2011-12-02, 13:58

Paldies par jūsu labojumus. Jā, es zinu daudz par valodām, bet, es nevaru runāt tekoši latviešu valoda, un tāpēc es nezinu daudz par alternatīviem izteiksmes. Es saprotu, ka angļu un latviešu valodā nāk no dažādām valodu grupām, neuztraucieties. ;)
Last edited by Cesare M. on 2011-12-07, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.

mak

Postby mak » 2011-12-02, 15:53

Much better :waytogo:

Cesare M. wrote:Paldies par jūsu labojumiem! Jā, es zinu daudz par valodām, bet, es nevaru runāt tekoši latviešu valodā, un tāpēc es nezinu daudz par alternatīvām izteiksmēm. Es saprotu, ka angļu un latviešu valodas nāk no dažādām valodu grupām, neuztraucieties! ;)

OK, I lied about par always taking the accusative. It looks like it's the accusative case in the singular and the dative case in the plural. But the question word is always in the accusative.

Paldies par labojumu (sg, acc) / paldies par labojumiem (pl, dat)
Par ko (acc) tu saki paldies? Par labojumu. / Par ko (acc) tu saki paldies? Par labojumiem.

Funny that you got par valodām right :D

Here's a table of the cases that prepositions take.

P.S. Can you please from now on NOT quote THE ENTIRE post when it's longer than a couple of
paragraphs?

Return to “Latvian (Latviešu valoda)”