[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Pronunciation of Spanish 'j'? - Page 2 - UniLang

Pronunciation of Spanish 'j'?

Moderators: Iván, loqu

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Pronunciation of Spanish 'j'?

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-02, 15:59

Iparxi_Zoi wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Wow, I didn't know that [x] was the pronunciation of <j> in most of Mexico. :shock:

Is that sarcasm? :lol:

No, it's really not. Looking at the earlier posts in this thread almost makes it sound like you're the first person who noticed it even existed in Mexican Spanish. :para: But maybe that's just me misinterpreting those posts, idk. :oops: I even tried looking for examples of [x] in videos of Mexican Spanish on YouTube and couldn't seem to find any for some reason, at least not with the [x] I've heard Spaniards pronounce. :hmm: But I'm willing to blame my ears for that. EDIT: Or my laziness in looking around. Or the fact that I'm not a native speaker. Or something. :lol:

Iparxi_Zoi

Re: Pronunciation of Spanish 'j'?

Postby Iparxi_Zoi » 2015-03-02, 20:18

vijayjohn wrote:No, it's really not. Looking at the earlier posts in this thread almost makes it sound like you're the first person who noticed it even existed in Mexican Spanish. :para: But maybe that's just me misinterpreting those posts, idk. :oops: I even tried looking for examples of [x] in videos of Mexican Spanish on YouTube and couldn't seem to find any for some reason, at least not with the [x] I've heard Spaniards pronounce. :hmm: But I'm willing to blame my ears for that. EDIT: Or my laziness in looking around. Or the fact that I'm not a native speaker. Or something. :lol:

I also read that in Spain it can be anywhere from velar, to post-velar to uvular (sorry for not including it earlier, I was trying to get my point across). Or maybe it's because people are thinking of a somewhat harsh, guttural sound when they think of /x/ when it really is softer. Take it from someone who's heard this sound his whole life :wink:

I would also suggest listening to Modern Greek; it also has /x/, and it's the same sound I've heard and used all my life. If that isn't a voiceless velar fricative /x/, I don't know what is. :lol:
Native/Mis lenguas maternas: español mexicano (Mexican Spanish) (es-MX) español (Spanish) (es) American English (en-US) English (en)
Advanced (I hope)/Espero que no se me olvide: français (French) (fr)
In love with/Me encantan: ελληνικά (Greek) (el) português (Portuguese) (pt)
Also intested in/También me interesarían: العربية (Arabic) (ar) italiano (Italian) (it) Türkçe (Turkish) (tr)

Return to “Spanish (Español)”