[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
Old Norse - Learning software in the works - UniLang

Old Norse - Learning software in the works

netsmage

Old Norse - Learning software in the works

Postby netsmage » 2013-05-24, 19:37

Hello all,

First I just wanted to state that I am still teaching myself Old Norse (western) dialect and know very little at this point.

I come to this forum because I wanted to ask for help. I am asking for help in pronunciation and learning in general.

I am writing a software application that is to try and help someone learn Old Norse. The problem is I barely know any of it myself.

This software will be released to the public for free and I will gladly put anyone’s name on it that helps me in the process.

So if you are available to help with pronunciation and can actually read and write Old Western Norse, please message me here on the forums and I will get back to you.

V/R

Robert

dunkelwald

Re: Old Norse - Learning software in the works

Postby dunkelwald » 2013-05-26, 0:10

While I have more on my hands to do than would reasonably allow me to help anyone with a major project, your request seems to be highly underspecified, especially given that you are trying to "write an application" that is helping someone to learn Old (West) Norse. Are you looking at Standard Old Icelandic? At all varieties of Old West Norse (i.e. Old Norwegian and Old Icelandic from the 9th until ~14th century)? What kind of pronunciation advice are you looking for? What kinds of texts do you want to read? Basic saga poetry or poetry written in all styles up to dróttkvætt which was difficult to understand even for speakers of the language at the time?

netsmage

Postby netsmage » 2013-05-26, 19:44

Thank you for the response.

Yes it would be tailored to the Old Norse, with the western dialect.

The request that I ask of anyone to help with is primarily pronunciation. I am a software developer and what I do is write code all day every day. So do not worry about the software development aspect.

I am going to record audio clips as helping tools so you can click a button and it will play the audio sample. For myself, I currently have to read the rules and syntax of the sentence structure and constantly review it to make sure I am even on the correct path. It would be very nice if I had software that I could look at a giant dictionary and actually hear the words.

I am also asking very little of anyone’s time, as both parties time are valuable and respected.

dunkelwald

Postby dunkelwald » 2013-06-11, 1:15

Well, 'the western dialect' still means a lot of things. The pronunciation of 9th century Old West Norse is quite different of what you get in the 13th century where Old Icelandic and Old Norwegian already have started to divert quite significantly. Icelandic starts to merge long œ and long æ around for example, the nasal vowels were present in the mid-12th century in Old Icelandic and we have no clue how much longer they persisted in Old Icelandic and whether they had gone in Old Norwegian by then, and many Old Norwegian dialects don't show u-Umlaut in many cases where Old Icelandic does, as a few examples of vowel changes. Consonant changes also exist, and also a couple of morphological changes.

So it's really important to make sure which variety you are actually talking about.

Return to “Icelandic (Íslenska)”