[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
네 vs 내 pronunciation - UniLang

네 vs 내 pronunciation

jiback7

네 vs 내 pronunciation

Postby jiback7 » 2013-06-18, 16:18

Do people pronounce "네" and "내" differently? Or are they always just inferred by context?
Thanks!

mōdgethanc

Re: 네 vs 내 pronunciation

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-06-18, 16:45

jiback7 wrote:Do people pronounce "네" and "내" differently? Or are they always just inferred by context?
Thanks!
The distinction between /e/ and /ɛ/ is another decreasing element in the speech of some younger speakers, mostly in the area of Seoul, whereas in other dialectal areas the two vowels can be distinctly heard. For those speakers who do not make the difference, [e̞] seems to be the dominant form.

Just for reference, /e/ is the vowel in "네" and /ɛ/ is the vowel in "내". They sound roughly like English play and bet.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-06-18, 18:05

jiback7 wrote:Do people pronounce "네" and "내" differently? Or are they always just inferred by context?
Thanks!

Especially among younger speakers, "니" often substitutes for "네" in order to prevent confusion. In informal contexts, you'll even see it written this way.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

aforl

Postby aforl » 2013-07-20, 8:04

Since the difference is becoming increasing blurry with the younger generations, 네 is often pronounced as 니.

So... 네가 그린 기린 그림 (The giraffe drawing that you've drawn) will be pronounced as 니가 그린 기린 그림.
Native:  (en) (zh) (tw)
B1/B2:  (ko)
A1:  (yue.Hant) (ja) (ms)
TAC 2014 (II):  (es) (ko)

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2014-01-27, 4:55

As a native speaker, of Seoulite dialect, I don't make the distinction.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

trliber

Postby trliber » 2014-08-23, 6:22

I live in Seoul, in my twenties and everyone my age pronounces 네 as 니.

I have asked Korean friends my age about the difference between the sound of ㅔ and ㅐ in general and they told me to them there is no difference, so I don't sweat it.
I welcome corrections in any language, even English (if you find any mistakes).

اهلا وسهلا. دائما بدور المساعدة مع العربي العامية وكمان الفصحى.

Return to “Korean (한국어)”