[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Korean addreses, geographical names - UniLang

Korean addreses, geographical names

Levo

Korean addreses, geographical names

Postby Levo » 2013-09-02, 9:03

Hi!

Could you please help me with some Korean?

I need to work with Korean addresses at my job. There are some terms that regularly come back, but no English terms used and it makes a hard time for us to find the correct address.

For example:
Ku San Ri Deok San Myun ChinChon Gun, ChinChon Choon, Cheong Book Do

In this one above,
What is the street?
The building
The county/province
The town

Thank you for your help!

Also, there are these Korean terms regularly coming back:
Ri
Do
Book
etc..

Could you please tell me what are the words for "street", "conty", "town", "tower", "square", "district", etc.
Thank you very much!

linguoboy

Re: Korean addreses, geographical names

Postby linguoboy » 2013-09-02, 13:16

Levo wrote:I need to work with Korean addresses at my job. There are some terms that regularly come back, but no English terms used and it makes a hard time for us to find the correct address.

For example:
Ku San Ri Deok San Myun ChinChon Gun, ChinChon Choon, Cheong Book Do

Damn, that is some ugly-ass romanisation. The correct form in the official system would be:

Kusan-ri, Deoksan-myeon, Jincheon-gun, Chungcheongbuk-do

This is written smallest to largest (village to province) in what looks like a concession to Western practice, since traditionally the East Asian system is big-endian. The suffixes are respectively: village (ri), township (myeon), county (gun), and province (do). Traditional addresses don't include street numbers but rather the building name and/or lot number.

Here are some links which should help you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addresses_in_South_Korea
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_divisions_of_South_Korea
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Korean (한국어)”