[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
High Advanced Textbook Recommendations - UniLang

High Advanced Textbook Recommendations

brian4244

High Advanced Textbook Recommendations

Postby brian4244 » 2013-09-22, 1:30

I've found plenty of discussions about what Korean textbooks to use; but most if not all of the recommendations in all of the threads I have read are for beginners or intermediate learners. Any self learn recommendations for learners for have over 2000 class hours. Former DLI(Defense Language Institute) grad looking for some suggestions of a structured approach to further my language studies. 잘 부탁해요!

Lauren

Re: High Advanced Textbook Recommendations

Postby Lauren » 2013-09-22, 1:53

Have you read about Continuing Korean? Not sure what level it is - at least intermediate.
     Native:  (en-US)
Advanced:  (eu)
 Learning:  (la)

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2013-09-22, 16:38

There aren't many advanced materials because once you reach the advanced stage, textbooks and the like don't help a whole lot. You just need to read lots of native level texts with a good dictionary at your side. And listen to the language a lot. Here are a couple of intermediate level textbooks in case you're interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Korean-Comprehensive-Grammar-Routledge-Grammars/dp/0415603854/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_3
http://www.amazon.com/Routledge-Intermediate-Korean-Reader-Language/dp/041569535X/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365135014&sr=1-6&keywords=korean+reader
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2013-09-23, 0:38

KLEAR - Integrated Korean (by the U of Hawaii) has some advanced level textbooks. At your level they might be useful, though they are really designed for classroom use.
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

eddeux

Postby eddeux » 2013-09-23, 1:58

Have you considered studying Hanja? I run across only a few on Korean news websites (Chosun Ilbo), but I've heard it really is beneficial for advancing your vocabulary.

Besides this perhas as mentioned reading Korean text will help. Also, have you considered watching any Korean tv? I watched dramas (thrillers mostly like Heartless City [무정도시], Scandal, Iris/Iris 2/Athena: Goddess of War, etc.).... I don't understand everything, and there are english subs, but it has definitely helped me tune in on spoken Korean at its natural pace. I watch on Hulu Plus but you could always go to Drama Fever (the company that subs the shows) for a larger variety.
Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2013-09-23, 3:12

Lots of good shows here. Could not recommend Boys over Flowers enough, it was awesome. :D Iris is good too, but never finished it.
     Native:  (en-US)
Advanced:  (eu)
 Learning:  (la)

brian4244

Postby brian4244 » 2013-09-23, 11:36

Thanks for the recommendations! I checked out continuing Korean, and the intermediate level texts recommended. I actually had my eye on the KLEAR series but was reluctant to buy it because i have tentative plans of maybe trying to get into the masters program at University of Hawaii in the future and I would hate to be using a textbook there that I've already read in and out while paying exuberant amounts of money to do so. I know reading native material with a dictionary etc is the best way; I just like structured learning a lot and it's really hard for me to make a structured approach to learning through just reading whatever I come across online. Studying some hanja (something I normally try to avoid like the plague ><) and reading some native material might be my best bet. Also watching dramas is really fun; but I don't really learn too much when watching them when compared to the entire hour that i spend to watch an episode. 아무튼 추천을 많이 해줘서 고맙습니다

OneFreeKorea

Postby OneFreeKorea » 2013-12-06, 21:33

http://www.lingq.com

This website should prove to be an unbelievable resource for you if you haven't already discovered it. Any advanced Korean content you end up finding, you can dump in there, and highlight words you don't know (you can select Naver as your dictionary of choice, and the program will automatically look up each word's meaning for you -- or you can enter your own customized meaning if necessary). If the unknown words appear in subsequent texts you upload to the site, they will appear highlighted in those passages as well, "linking" them together and allowing you to see the words in different contexts.

I would also recommend you try to get your hands on some books on Korean linguistics written in Korean.

By the way, I am not nearly at your level, but I have a solid foundation in the language and want to have another "breakthrough" in my studies, which is going to require a more systematic, regimented plan.

If you have the time, would you mind helping me construct my own study plan that emulates the DLI program as much as possible? I know it's ridiculously intense (my dad graduated from DLI and learned Mandarin) and you guys studied like 8 hours a day, but I would at least love to have an idea of what you actually did during that timeframe each day (regarding content studies and drills implemented to improve listening, speaking reading and writing skills) so I can develop my own customized study plan that actually has a snowball's chance in hell of being effective. I'm particularly motivated to develop my listening and speaking skills, which still are mired in the beginning level due to lack of focused drills.

My goal is to start studying the language 5 hours a day during the week and 8-10 hours a day on the weekends.

If you can help, I would greatly appreciate it! 정말 감사합니다!
오늘 나는 올리브 가지와 자유 투사의 총을 갖고 왔다.

Return to “Korean (한국어)”