[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions - Page 31 - UniLang

Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Moderator: Babelfish

AlanF_US

Re: Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Postby AlanF_US » 2015-02-15, 15:41

Thanks for that description. It seems to match what I encounter.

Here's another question: is there a lot of variation out there regarding whether to use a yod to represent a tseire ("ei" vowel) in ktiv maleh, or just to leave it out? I ask this because I feel as though I can never win on this point: when I insert a yod, I'm told I should leave it out, and when I leave it out, I'm told I should put it in. (I'll try to think of examples.) Is this a point on which there's consensus on a set of rules that I don't know, or is it primarily a matter of taste? I have a similar question about the initial yod in a hiphil form, but in that case it seems as though there's something closer to a majority opinion, namely to leave it out.

Finally, it seems to me as though נסגר has some kind of slang meaning that I don't see in the dictionary, something like the "happened" in "What happened here?" Is that right?

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2015-02-15, 20:56

Another question: what does כוס אמק mean?

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-02-15, 21:15

AlanF_US wrote:Another question: what does כוס אמק mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlEC0bS2UMw

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2015-02-16, 2:42

Ah, it's Arabic. No wonder I didn't understand it and couldn't look it up. Thanks.

So I'll dump another question on top of the stack of unanswered ones: What's the difference between the various words that translate as "sophisticated"?

- מתוחכם
- משוכלל
- מעודכן

I guess that the last one has more of a connotation of "up-to-date"?

Golv

Postby Golv » 2015-02-16, 8:42

AlanF_US wrote:Here's another question: is there a lot of variation out there regarding whether to use a yod to represent a tseire ("ei" vowel) in ktiv maleh, or just to leave it out?

Have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzere
I have a similar question about the initial yod in a hiphil form, but in that case it seems as though there's something closer to a majority opinion, namely to leave it out.

Definitely leave it out.
Finally, it seems to me as though נסגר has some kind of slang meaning that I don't see in the dictionary, something like the "happened" in "What happened here?" Is that right?

Quite. לסגור could figuratively mean "to agree on" (as in, or inspired from the phrase לסגור עסקה).
?מה נסגר translates to "what's the deal?" or "what has been decided?"
Ah, it's Arabic. No wonder I didn't understand it and couldn't look it up.

Most Hebrew speakers aren't aware of the literal meaning of the majority of swear words they use.

I'd say:
מתוחכם - cleverly planned or able to plan cleverly (used to describe both animate and inanimate objects)
משוכלל - complex and advanced in design; refined (said of machines or techniques only)
מעודכן - up-to-date, modern

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2015-03-02, 15:46

Thanks for that. An Israeli software engineer also tells me that משוכלל tends to suggest "having lots of features". That seems consistent with what you are saying.

Here's another question: can תריסים refer to both shutters (which close off a window from the outside) and Venetian blinds (which close it off from the inside)?

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2015-03-06, 17:27

Yes :) Simple.
(I think I might have encountered the calque תריס ונציאני, but it's not in common use)
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”