[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions - Page 29 - UniLang

Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Moderator: Babelfish

AlanF_US

Re: Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Postby AlanF_US » 2014-08-17, 14:09

Okay, great!

My next question has to do with ways to say "call" (on the telephone). I know that the following verbs are used in Hebrew:

לצלצל אל מישהו
לטלפן אל מישהו
להתקשר אל מישהו

I've been told that the first two are not used very much anymore. Is this true? Also, I was never very sure about how to pronounce לטלפן in its various conjugated forms: was the פ always, sometimes, or never pronounced as a "p"?

Thanks in advance and in retrospect!

AlanF_US

טף

Postby AlanF_US » 2014-08-19, 22:09

Another question: is the word טף commonly used? Can you simply use it anywhere that "kids" can be used to mean "children" in English?

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2014-08-22, 14:26

I think לצלצל and לטלפן are indeed significantly rarer today than להתקשר (and the expression להרים טלפון which I've heard quite a few times, although I don't use it myself).
The פ in לטלפן is properly always pronounced as P, following the conjugation rules, although in speech people sometimes pronounce it as F as in the original word, telephone.

The word טף is rarely used today, and pretty much only in writing. Usually ילדים is used.

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2014-09-11, 1:13

Many thanks, as always!

Could you please clarify for me the meanings of the verbs that have the root הדר? In particular, could you please tell me which ones (in which בנינים) correspond to "compile" and which to "exclude"?

The reason I ask is that in this sentence:

הנתונים עוד לא הודרו.

I'm pretty sure that the last word translates to "compiled", but the Morfix online dictionary, which I generally trust, says that it's "excluded".

Thanks again!

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2014-09-12, 15:35

The roots are actually different. הִדֵּר (hider) is the verb for compile and its root is הדר, conjugation pi'el, the passive would be הֻדַּר (hudar); those verbs are very rarely used actually, we just say קִמְפֵּל from the English word... So your guess is correct, it's just that Morfix didn't bother to provide this option. The verb for exclude is הִדִּיר from the root נדר, conjugation hif'il.

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2014-09-16, 22:32

I see. Thanks for that explanation.

New question: Why are male cousins "בני דודים" and female cousins "בנות דודות"? I would expect both to end in "דודים" (that is, "בני דודים" and "בנות דודים"). After all, in both cases, you're referring to children of an uncle+aunt, and you would refer to that pair as "דודים". Or maybe they should be "בני דוד" and "בנות דוד". After all, a single male cousin is "בן דוד" (not "בן דודים") and a single female cousin is "בת דוד" (not "בת דודה" or "בת דודים" or "בת דודות").

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2014-09-19, 15:28

These are colloquial expressions (the formal words are דודן and דודנית, hardly used in speech), and I'm not sure how correct they are considered. This "dragging" of gender appears also in an expression which really hurts my ears, "בת זוגתו" - supposedly his female partner, it's a mix of זוגתו and בת-זוגו, both of which are correct, resulting in a messy double-feminine :ohno:

Ektoras

Postby Ektoras » 2014-09-21, 17:04

Hello, I have a small dialogue with the recording:

- רחל, את רוצה לאכול משהו אחר?

- תודה, אני לא רעבה עכשיו.

Please, how do you read עכשיו? I hear something like akhshav, but I don't understand how that's possible. Do you completely ignore the yod?
And how would you 'nuqqud'ize this word?

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2014-09-25, 13:18

We read it exactly like you heard: akhshav. The yod is silent and the preceding letter takes patakh: עַכְשָיו (it can also be spelled עַכְשָו without the yod, more commonly in vocalized text).

This יו- spelling also appears in the plural possessive ending for 'his' (3rd person singular masculine), e.g. 'his hands': ידיו yadav, and more commonly in some prepositions, e.g. 'to him/it': אליו elav.

Ektoras

Postby Ektoras » 2014-09-25, 14:16

Thanks Babelfish ! Much obliged! :-]

An off-topic question. Is there a way I can check the niqqud of a word online? Any such dictionaries that you know of? Thank you again! :-]

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-09-25, 15:06

Ektoras wrote:An off-topic question. Is there a way I can check the niqqud of a word online? Any such dictionaries that you know of? Thank you again! :-]

Google Translate

Ektoras

Postby Ektoras » 2014-09-25, 15:45

Oh… That's neat!
I didn't know it showed the nuqqud. Thank you.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-09-25, 15:50

Sometimes it does (usually when it gives more than one translation).

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2014-10-06, 19:31

Morfix shows ניקוד, too. For example, here's what's shown when you look up the translation of "now":

http://www.morfix.co.il/en/now

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2014-10-06, 19:38

Babelfish wrote:These are colloquial expressions (the formal words are דודן and דודנית, hardly used in speech), and I'm not sure how correct they are considered. This "dragging" of gender appears also in an expression which really hurts my ears, "בת זוגתו" - supposedly his female partner, it's a mix of זוגתו and בת-זוגו, both of which are correct, resulting in a messy double-feminine :ohno:

I see. So what would you, personally, say in colloquial speech for "my female cousin" and "my female cousins"?

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2014-10-09, 17:28

Another question: Does סקר cover the multiple meanings of the English "review"? In English, one can use "review" to mean either a more passive activity (look over) or a more active one (write a critique):

"I reviewed my essay." = "I looked at my essay again."

or

"The book was reviewed in a leading magazine." = "A critique of the book appeared in a leading magazine."

Could סקר be used for both?

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2014-10-10, 14:05

AlanF_US wrote:
Babelfish wrote:These are colloquial expressions (the formal words are דודן and דודנית, hardly used in speech), and I'm not sure how correct they are considered. This "dragging" of gender appears also in an expression which really hurts my ears, "בת זוגתו" - supposedly his female partner, it's a mix of זוגתו and בת-זוגו, both of which are correct, resulting in a messy double-feminine :ohno:

I see. So what would you, personally, say in colloquial speech for "my female cousin" and "my female cousins"?

I suppose I'd just use בת דודה and בנות דודות (or perhaps בנות דודה or even בנות דוד), following the usual colloquial speech... I'm also not sure they're incorrect.

As for סקר, no, it hardly corresponds to English "review" outside its most basic sense of "overview". To read something again, I guess I'd say קרא מחדש, literally. To write a critique would be ביקר or כתב ביקורת (which often has a negative connotation, but not always).

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2014-11-10, 15:18

What's the best word to translate "quest" in the sense of a mission that may or may not include a physical journey? For instance, "the quest to make the perfect baked potato" or "the quest to find the perfect baked potato"?

משימה?‏
חיפוש?‏
מסע?‏

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2014-11-15, 13:18

I guess "מסע" would be the best... It means a physical journey, but our familiarity with the word "quest" may make it easier to become metaphorical. There's no really good translation...

AlanF_US

Postby AlanF_US » 2014-11-19, 23:08

Thanks!

Next question: Could this sentence:

הבוס שלי דחה את התקציב לפרויקט החדש.

be translated as either "My boss rejected..." or "My boss postponed..."? If so, would more context need to be added to distinguish between them?

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”