[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Cinema - UniLang

Cinema

Moderator: Babelfish

Lemanensis
Country: CH Switzerland (Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Svizra)

Cinema

Postby Lemanensis » 2008-10-20, 14:29

We're lucky in Switzerland that we can easily see lots of arthouse cinema in the original language with subtitles.
I always watch out for Israeli films now and see whatever I can. Films I've seen so far over the past few years are (roughly in ascending order):

Waltz with Bashir
The Band's Visit
Lemon Tree
Close to Home
Walk on Water
The Bubble
Time of Favour
Yossi & Jagger

It's interesting to see my progress, as even though I can't manage without the subtitles, when I know what they're saying I now recognize lots of words. And can even fill in the blanks when the subtitles don't translate everything that's said. It's very rewarding.
If anyone has any particular recommendations, I'd be happy to hear.

BezierCurve

Re: Cinema

Postby BezierCurve » 2008-10-20, 22:33

Unfortunatelly, where I live it is not easy to get those movies - or books. I tried already 5 or 6 Internet shops - always got disappointed to learn that they didn't ship to Ireland (even after giving them my credit card numbers :evil: ) Finally I found very few books on amazon_com, bought one and the rest that looked interesting was already unavailable :roll: That really let me down.

As for the movies - I haven't ordered one yet, since I want to be sure that I'll be able to understand most of it. I usually watch movies with English soundtrack and switch to Hebrew subtitles - where available. That works the other way round, but in that way I learn how to say usual things, like, say, "turn off the light!" - which I wouldn't find in any dictionary. The only problem is the pronunciation - subtitles have no nikkud.

Sometimes I watch short fragments of some Israeli soap operas or other movies on YouTube. There are many such clips posted there by HOT - many of them even have the Hebrew subtitles.
Brejkam wszystkie rule.

"I love tautologies, they're so ... tautological." Hunef

Lemanensis

Postby Lemanensis » 2008-10-21, 6:07

BezierCurve wrote:Unfortunatelly, where I live it is not easy to get those movies - or books. I tried already 5 or 6 Internet shops - always got disappointed to learn that they didn't ship to Ireland (even after giving them my credit card numbers :evil: ) Finally I found very few books on amazon_com, bought one and the rest that looked interesting was already unavailable :roll: That really let me down.

That's odd - I''ve bought DVDs from Amazon in the States. E.g.
http://www.amazon.com/Close-Home-Neama- ... 368&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Bubble-Ohad-Knoll ... 407&sr=1-1
Trouble with that is that the Swiss customs service charges loads of duty on DVDs. It's cheaper to buy from FNAC than to buy direct! So I stock up when visiting friends in the USA - sometimes less than 50% of the price we pay here (depending on age of film).

BezierCurve wrote:As for the movies - I haven't ordered one yet, since I want to be sure that I'll be able to understand most of it. I usually watch movies with English soundtrack and switch to Hebrew subtitles - where available. That works the other way round, but in that way I learn how to say usual things, like, say, "turn off the light!" - which I wouldn't find in any dictionary. The only problem is the pronunciation - subtitles have no nikkud.

You must be able to read Hebrew script so quickly!! :shock: My reading would be too slow at the moment, but I have a fast ear :lol: I've done this with several of the languages I've learnt - reading the English/French/German subtitles while listening carefully for the words and expressions I know. Works well for me. The advantage of owning the DVD of course is being able to watch over and over.

BezierCurve wrote:Sometimes I watch short fragments of some Israeli soap operas or other movies on YouTube. There are many such clips posted there by HOT - many of them even have the Hebrew subtitles.

BC, could you pleeeese :doggy: post a link. YouTube is so difficult to find users on... and you can imagine, searching for 'HOT' turns up just sooooo many varied results :blush:
I've found pop songs with subtitles, but soap operas and movies would be great.
I once found almost all of The Bubble (in segments) on YouTube, but I don't know if it's still there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwWZLPMpZa0

BezierCurve

Postby BezierCurve » 2008-10-21, 16:27

Brejkam wszystkie rule.

Lemanensis

Postby Lemanensis » 2008-10-22, 20:01

BezierCurve wrote:You can find many of those clips searching by keywords like סרט,

or directly the titles of the movie (here's for example הכל דבש):

Once you've found one of them, you just keep looking for related videos, it will never end :)

True. YouTube surfing can be very addictive and a total time-waster! :D

Some of your links are a bit odd, though. The ones ending in '... related' give the error message and just send to a page where there don't appear to be anything other than Spanish videos...
"The URL contained a malformed video ID." :?

But thank you very much all the same (for the ones that work)...

I watched this very odd romantic scene from one of the soaps. A couple were in bed being... well romantic, then all of a sudden the guy grabbed the woman's hair and started bashing her head against the headboard... Very odd. Israeli foreplay, I take it. Though she wasn't too pleased, he appeared to think it was totally normal. :shock:

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2008-10-24, 17:29

It surely ain't "normal", you might have stumbled upon a satiric scene, or one describing a beaten wife :?

BezierCurve

Postby BezierCurve » 2008-10-24, 18:06

The ones ending in '... related' give the error message

Sorry, I just copied the address from the address bar as it was, never checked them. :oops:

As for the foreplay, I'd say it was rather him being paranoid or something. :silly:
Brejkam wszystkie rule.

Lemanensis

Postby Lemanensis » 2008-10-24, 18:29

Babelfish wrote:It surely ain't "normal", you might have stumbled upon a satiric scene, or one describing a beaten wife :?

I was joking :silly: . But the scene was very odd especially as he was acting so cool about it - not angry at all. It was that soap opera Everything's Honey.
It just gives a strange impression of Israeli society... :)

Lemanensis

Postby Lemanensis » 2008-10-29, 10:11

I had the opportunity to go to a 'world première' at a local 'all-screens' festival (cinema, TV productions, and now mobile device productions too).

The film was 'Brothers' (only English title though the film was in Hebrew).

Interesting, though not a major film. The story of two brothers, one religious and the other not, and Israel's status and whether it should be a lay State or a religious one.

http://www.cinema-tout-ecran.ch/2008/in ... =35&lan=fr

Lemanensis

Postby Lemanensis » 2009-11-08, 11:40

Our local 'All Screens' film festival showed a première of the new Israeli film Eynayim Pkukhot (Eyes Wide Open), about a homosexual relationship in the Khasidim community. Interesting, well acted, with the younger gay Khasid played by Dan Ranker, though not outstanding it is worth seeing for those of us less familiar with the Khasidim. I've seen three or four films featuring this community so far and it's interesting to get some insight into their life.

The director was present and explained some of the reasons behind wanting to make the film (his first as director), reactions to it, issues, and so on.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1424327/

Lemanensis

Postby Lemanensis » 2009-11-08, 11:45

Along the same lines, in some ways in the plot, though not in the social environment I also saw Round Trip, a film about a lesbian relationship between an Israeli mother and her African nanny, set in Tel Aviv. Again well acted, and worth seeing, though again not outstanding.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433043/

Ester-Maria

Postby Ester-Maria » 2009-11-12, 23:47

fbisearchengine.com :whistle:
*hint, hint*

kloie

Postby kloie » 2010-08-18, 17:14

I think i have seen eyes wide open and the other these movies will be on logo an all glbt channel g=gay l=lesbian b=bisexual t=transgender good movies and i did not know that was ran danker :D :)

dzrihen

Postby dzrihen » 2011-03-22, 7:49

What did you think about Waltz with Bashir?

aviko81

Postby aviko81 » 2011-04-10, 12:28

Nice list

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”