[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
משחק־תרגום - UniLang

משחק־תרגום

Moderator: Babelfish

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

משחק־תרגום

Postby księżycowy » 2013-11-11, 18:17

Chances are pretty good I got that title wrong. If so, please let me know. Anywho . . . .

While I'm more then happy with the "son of man" below me game (yeah, I like how that works in Hebrew :lol: ), I figured this would be fun too. What think ye?

Standard rules as the other translation games, first person posts a sentence in English to be translated in Hebrew, and from then on out the next person translates the previous English sentence into Hebrew, and then provides a sentence for the next person to translate. Be creative, but let's not kill the game. 8-)

I'll start.

All the wheels on my bike are square!
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Re: משחק־תרגום

Postby Babelfish » 2013-11-15, 17:34

:thread:
כל הגלגלים באופניים שלי מרובעים!

I can already read and write in Hebrew.
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2013-11-16, 13:45

:D

אני כבר קורא וכותב עברית.

All of this driving is making my head spin.
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2013-11-22, 17:29

כל הנהיגה הזו גורמת לי סחרחורת.

And now I'd really like a nice hot cup of coffee.

Nalee

Postby Nalee » 2013-11-26, 7:47

ועכשיו אני ממש רוצה כוס קפה שחמה ונחמדה.
(that probably wasn't the best translation ever; if anyone can help to improve it please tell me!)

On the night of the full moon, the dog barked crazily.

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2013-11-29, 13:47

Actually your translation was completely fine 8-) The only error is the ש in שחמה which is completely redundant (a typo, I hope?).
בליל הירח המלא, הכלב נבח בטירוף.

And now to something completely different ( :wink: )

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2013-11-30, 13:22

ועכשו לדבר חדש. :?:

(That seemed quite idiomatic, so I probably got it wrong)

The sun shining through the window illuminates the room quite nicely.

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2013-12-06, 14:58

It is indeed the name of a Monty Python movie, and it is translated ועכשיו למשהו שונה לגמרי.

השמש [שמאירה] דרך החלון מאירה את החדר די טוב.

The vast majority of movies based on books aren't as good as the books.

Golv

Postby Golv » 2014-03-27, 18:53

רוב רובם של הסרטים המבוססים על ספרים אינם טובים כמו הספר.

It has been more than a year since my last visit to the dentist.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-06-17, 12:22

Golv wrote:It has been more than a year since my last visit to the dentist.

זה כבר יותר משנה מאז הייתי אצל הרופא שיניים פעם אחרונה. :?:

The higher one aims, the more he is likely to overlook his humble beginnings, which accompanied him at the dawn of his promising career.
Native:  (sk)  (cs)
Advanced (C1):  (us)
Intermediate(B1): (fr)
Level Bet:  (he)

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-06-17, 20:44

I just noticed that there appear to be two threads for the same game, the one I created here, and one Eibhlin created shortly before. Maybe we should merge them?

Golv

Postby Golv » 2014-06-17, 21:08

Mikey93 wrote:עברה יותר משנה מאז שהייתי אצל הרופא שיניים בפעם אחרונה.

Though common colloquially, putting the article in front of the modified noun instead of the modifier is still considered bad form in writing. (but you already know this)

Also, the expression "זה יותר מ" is usually used to emphasis the duration that something has been going on for, rather than the time that elapsed since it last took place. But I can't say it sounds flat out wrong here, just a bit unfitting in the current wording of the sentence.

The higher one aims, the more he is likely to overlook his humble beginnings, which accompanied him at the dawn of his promising career.

ככל שאדם מכוון גבוה יותר, כך עלולה להשתכח ממנו ראשיתו הצנועה, אשר ליוותהו בשחר קריירתו המבטיחה.

I will have you know that this is the third time already it is happening and I'll take no more of it.

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2014-06-20, 14:42

księżycowy wrote:I just noticed that there appear to be two threads for the same game, the one I created here, and one Eibhlin created shortly before. Maybe we should merge them?

I agree. Unfortunately, when trying to merge them through the Moderator Control Panel, nothing happens... Anyway I'm not sure the result would be pleasing, if the posts in the merged topic would be ordered by date, then sentences and their translations would be separated. How about I lock one of them, and answer both sentences on the other, so that we may continue there?

Golv

Postby Golv » 2014-06-20, 16:18

Babelfish wrote:Anyway I'm not sure the result would be pleasing, if the posts in the merged topic would be ordered by date, then sentences and their translations would be separated.

How so? Until the recent revival of the other thread, the two were never active at the same time, so the latest post there still predated the first here and there is no risk of posts mixing up with each other if ordered by date.

Anyway, just do whatever, I don't think anyone really minds one way or the other.

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2014-06-20, 16:45

Yeah, well, maybe next time... I'm tired :tired:

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-06-20, 18:03

Yeah, I don't really mind either way. One can be locked or they can be merged, which ever is easier to you as a mod Bablefish. :wink:

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-06-21, 16:04

Golv wrote:

ככל שאדם מכוון גבוה יותר, כך עלולה להשתכח ממנו ראשיתו הצנועה, אשר ליוותהו בשחר קריירתו המבטיחה.

אוי כל כך הרבה מילים חדשות ... אבל זה הרי מה שרציתי
I will have you know that this is the third time already it is happening and I'll take no more of it.

להווי ידוע לך (אני מודיע לך, לידיעתך זו?) שזו כבר פעם שלישית שזה קרה (קורה?) ואני לא סובל את זה יותר (ודיי?).

Funny you should ask. (like in the following: How can I possibly help you?; Funny you should ask. Do you have a car?)

Golv

Postby Golv » 2014-06-26, 15:24

Mikey93, you dangerous, modless, agent of chaos you! Have you not been following the thread? This one is to be disposed of.

Anyway, I'll just correct your translation and translate your sentence:
Mikey93 wrote:להווי ידוע לך (אני מודיע לך, לידיעתך זו?) שזו כבר פעם שלישית שזה קרה (קורה?) ואני לא סובל את זה יותר (ודיי?).

- "הייתי משתמש ב "שתדע" או "לידיעתך". מעולם לא נתקלתי בביטוי "להווי ידוע" קודם, אם כי מספר התוצאות שמעלה חיפוש בגוגל אודותיו אומר לי שעובדה זו אמורה להביך אותי. בכל אופן, עושה הרושם ששימושך בו נכון.
- קורה
- אסבול
- בלי "די"

Mikey93 wrote:Funny you should ask.

מצחיק שאתה שואל.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-06-26, 22:01

Golv wrote:Mikey93, you dangerous, modless, agent of chaos you! Have you not been following the thread? This one is to be disposed of.

How poetic of you, but I am not as indifferent as I seem to be. I thought this would be a little "manifestation of mutiny." For a little while I’ve found myself not studying Hebrew, so I thought I could catch up like this, and besides I myself won’t post here every day nor can I await responds abruptly. IMHO, one of the threads could be dedicated to conversational Hebrew, that is, translations useful for everyday conversations (more interesting and engaging to broader audience I guess), whereas the other one would be dedicated to words and sentences you are most likely to encounter in the books. Since no matter what textbook I would use I won’t find words like those there and looking into the dictionary all the time, that I find a little ponderous. However, I see, it’s not up to me to decide, because it’s just your benevolence that you provide me with these translations. So if you discard this one then so be it.

Anyway, I'll just correct your translation and translate your sentence:
Mikey93 wrote:להווי ידוע לך (אני מודיע לך, לידיעתך זו?) שזו כבר פעם שלישית שזה קרה (קורה?) ואני לא סובל את זה יותר (ודיי?).

- "הייתי משתמש ב "שתדע" או "לידיעתך". מעולם לא נתקלתי בביטוי "להווי ידוע" קודם, אם כי מספר התוצאות שמעלה חיפוש בגוגל אודותיו אומר לי שעובדה זו אמורה להביך אותי. בכל אופן, עושה הרושם ששימושך בו נכון.

אז זה אומר שלא משתמשים בו הרבה, אני מניח?

Take that (a slap or sth of that kind), you devil!

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2014-06-27, 15:55

Locking this thread, will continue in the other one.

You're a devil indeed, Mikey93, posting sentences in both threads!
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”