[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Anyone have extensive verb charts (declensions)?? - UniLang

Anyone have extensive verb charts (declensions)??

Moderator: Babelfish

jdmhotness

Anyone have extensive verb charts (declensions)??

Postby jdmhotness » 2014-06-25, 2:31

In short I am looking for complete verb declension charts. For example a standard/regular declension such as קטל in the Qal, Piel, Hiphal, participle, imperative, etc (in suffix/perfect, prefix/imperfect, etc.). Then verbs such as 1-waw, 1-guttural, 3-heh, and so on. I have been looking online without much luck and both the modern Hebrew grammar books I have do not list anything this extensive. Anyone have a pdf or an online resource such as this?? I'm a classicist and I need my thorough charts!!
best

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Anyone have extensive verb charts (declensions)??

Postby księżycowy » 2014-06-25, 12:45

I have to admit I'm a bit confused by which stage of Hebrew you're looking for. Is it Classical Hebrew or Modern Hebrew? I suppose it seems more likely you're looking more Classical Hebrew as Modern Hebrew is understood in terms or tenses (past, present, furture) rather then aspect (perfect, imperfect).

Anywho, it largely doesn't matter. The forms are largely the same, they are just fit into a different system in the Modern age.

There are fantastic verb conjugation charts (nouns decline, verbs conjugate) in Biblical Hebrew: An Introductory Grammar by Kelley. Though I take it you are looking for free resources. I'll see if I can dig something up.
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

jdmhotness

Postby jdmhotness » 2014-06-25, 17:43

Sorry for the confusion. No, I am looking for modern Hebrew charts. I have been studying classical for years, so I tend to learn from these charts.

I have been encountering (modern) verbs that seem to follow different patterns depending on their stem. If they are indeed more or less the same, is there some sort of 'master' chart for one stem that you have/know of? I have been using this, which is quite helpful (though it does not include any such charts!):
http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Hebrew-Ess ... ern+hebrew

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-06-25, 18:02

Ah, I see. No problem.

The main problem with Modern Hebrew verbs is the different vocabulary and there are more verbs with more then three roots (as I understand it). Though I must confess I know more about Classical Hebrew verbs at the moment then I do Modern.

I know of one site that has Modern Hebrew verbs conjugated in all the different tenses, but that it is verb by verb. It doesn't have a "master chart" for all tenses and binyanim. There is also Barron's Hebrew Verbs book, which does much the same. Giving tables for about 500 of the most common verbs in Modern Hebrew. It does generally give other binyanim of the same root if they are used.
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

jdmhotness

Postby jdmhotness » 2014-06-25, 19:35

I just ordered the 501 verbs, thanks! What is the website you are referring to?

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2014-06-25, 21:04

501 has been a great help, I trust you'll find it just as helpful.

The website I was refering to was:
http://www.hebrew-verbs.co.il/
Which goes the opposite way, English -> Hebrew.

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”