[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
Hebrew Dictionary and Vocab Learning - UniLang

Hebrew Dictionary and Vocab Learning

Moderator: Babelfish

MisterE

Hebrew Dictionary and Vocab Learning

Postby MisterE » 2015-01-06, 13:14

Hi Guys,
I bought Webster's New World Hebrew dictionary and it doesn't have nikkud. It does have the plural and construct forms for the nouns etc, and I do have the 501 Hebrew Verbs book. So what I'm trying to get at is this, is it still practical to try build vocab without knowing the correct nikkud? The author does have his own transliteration method that he explains, so I think that part is pretty okay. I'm just a little nervous I suppose in investing so much time without nikkud. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Hebrew Dictionary and Vocab Learning

Postby Babelfish » 2015-01-10, 13:18

If the dictionary has transliterations with vowels, then you should be perfectly fine. The difficulty with nikkud today is that most vowels have at least two or more representations, differing most often in vowel length - which we don't distinguish any more in speech. We also hardly ever write nikkud; it's used in the Bible, poetry, dictionaries (most of them...) and rarely in order to distinguish homographs.
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-01-15, 20:23

Personally, I think that dictionary is a joke, especially the Hebrew-English part of it. As far as niqqud is concerned, I would't do without it. I mean, unless you plan to study Hebrew by immersing yourself in a Hebrew speaking environment, than I think it's best to have words vocalized. I just find it more easier to learn new words, noun and verb paterns when I see how the niqqud works there. But that's just my preference, you should try for yourself and see what's the best way for you. :)
Native:  (sk)  (cs)
Advanced (C1):  (us)
Intermediate(B1): (fr)
Level Bet:  (he)

MisterE

Postby MisterE » 2015-02-20, 16:40

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I think until I get hold of the Oxford dictionary I have no other alternative. Hebrew just doesn't seem very well catered for as far as dictionaries go. What I really like about the one I got is that it gives you the plural and construct form of every njoun as well as the gender, also something for adjectives and other parts of speech too. It takes alot of grammar work off your shoulders so with my 501 verb book I was confident that in the long run it would compensate for the lack of nikkud and given that Hebrew vowels are predictable in sound it wouldn't be very difficult to pronounce them with the authors notation.

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”