[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
When, where (etc.) did you start learning French? - UniLang

When, where (etc.) did you start learning French?

Moderators: JackFrost, Marah

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

When, where (etc.) did you start learning French?

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-09, 7:06

Inspired by a similar thread on the German forum: When and/or where did you start learning French? Why? How? And so on.

French was the first language I remember trying to learn very seriously. I think I started when I was about seven years old. My brother was taking French in school, and that simply was not an option for me in school at the time. FWIR, he also generally seemed to know languages a lot better than I did, so I was jealous and determined to outdo him. :P I had no idea where to find native speakers of French to use it with, but I read the very few textbooks I could get my hands on cover to cover (before I found other resources I could use) and practiced it mostly with myself. I talked to myself in it, I drew cartoons in it (even though my artwork has always seriously sucked), I wrote silly little plays in it - I did whatever I could think of, basically. I even tried to translate things I heard in English mentally into French. Eventually, it worked; I got to a point where I could demonstrate that I knew French better than my brother did. But of course I wasn't satisfied with just that. :lol:

It wasn't until I was twelve years old that I met a French teacher in school, who fortunately was a native speaker (and who I always talked to in French IIRC). The next year, I got to start taking classes with her and continued taking French classes as long as I could in school (which meant only five years' worth of classes in four years). Even then, though, I mostly relied on self-study.

OK, I'm finally done. :lol: Enough about me! What about you? What made you start learning French? What have your experiences been? :)

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Re: When, where (etc.) did you start learning French?

Postby Meera » 2015-02-09, 18:56

I started in Eighth Grade in Middle School but I didn't take it too seriously. I continued with it in High School but unfortunately again I didn't do much to help myself learning it, I was too preoccupied with Hindi. So I didn't really start learning it until Uni when I took some classes in it and really liked it.
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-09, 22:36

Meera wrote:So I didn't really start learning it until Uni when I took some classes in it and really liked it.

How recently did you start taking those classes? Like, last year, two years ago...? :)

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Lada » 2015-02-11, 16:19

My french story starts when I was 15. My parents took me to a very good school according to local standards and they taught 2 foreign languages. The first one was English and the second one was either French or German. Most pupils selected German being more useful as they said and I selected French because I thought it sounded more beautiful.

I learnt basic French I think, our teacher was very easy to influence on if we had tests on maths or Russian, or literature and these subjects were more important as we had to pass exams at the end of the year and French was not the subject most pupils cared about.
Then I continued learning French in university, but as it was second language too we had less lessons than English ones, however I learnt more than at school and was capable to read newspapers and translate articles.

After university the only place where I could practice French was France and Luxembourg. I visited France twice and could buy what I wanted, that's all. Now I just try not to forget what I still remember because that would be really sad to loose any command in French after years of learning it. And my current level has dropped dramatically, especially oral skills and understanding natives.

Meera
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Meera » 2015-02-11, 18:14

vijayjohn wrote:
Meera wrote:So I didn't really start learning it until Uni when I took some classes in it and really liked it.

How recently did you start taking those classes? Like, last year, two years ago...? :)

The first two I took in 2011 I think before I got my bachelors, when I was getting my bachelors I did tons of language classes for electives lol. And recently I started it again last semester. Last semester I was in Intermediate FRE II and this semester I am in advanced, but it is definitively NOT advanced in any sense of the word. It's kind of funny I have taken a lot of languages in college and for some reason to me it seems like the non-European language classes are much better. The French classes (all of of them) seem to rush you through. The structure is like learn something, test it, and move on with rarely reviewing it. The only time last semester that I practiced spoken French was when I had to present my final presentation, the whole semester there was like no speaking at all. We just listened to the teacher speak in French lol
अहिंसा
TAC 2015:  (hi) (ja) (ar) (fr)
Loves: (bn) (ta) (id) (tr) (ur)

lumisade

Postby lumisade » 2015-02-21, 1:34

I've had French in school for 7 years. It was actually my first real foreign language, or at least it felt so (I began learning English at a very young age so I don't really remember the beginning). First I really liked it, then in my second year I got a very shitty teacher who hated me for some reason. He kind of ruined my French learning experience, but in year 3 I got a new teacher and he was like the complete opposite, he was simply awesome. Only because of him I know when to use passé composé and imparfait :lol: Year 4-7 were kind of boring. Well it sounds like I blame the teachers for everything but this is because I wasn't the super ambitious language learner back then, French was just one subject like all the other ones.
Ok, some more teacher blaming: I hate how we never really talked in French. I would have loved a discussion, a debate or something like that and not just for 3 minutes like we did from time to time but for the whole lesson. Now I know all the grammar rules but can't really speak.
After school I didn't really continue studying but I really don't want to forget everything I learned. I already forgot so much, it's pretty sad. :( Especially because I really love that language but I'm so occupied with other languages important things right now. I think I'm gonna read a French book soon. I still have my copy of "Le petit prince", the only book we read in French class. :)
Vi e bare en fortelling
Hørar du!

native (de)fluent (en)read: good, understand: good, speak: terrible (pl)studying actively (no-bk)studying actively (nl-nl)intermediate (fr)forgetting (es)basics (eo)starting soon (is)maybe in my next life (fi)

ege

Postby ege » 2015-02-21, 9:58

It was about about the end of the first year at high school. My primary foreign language was English and we were supposed to claim our choices for second foreign language, for which we had only 2 options: French and German.
I chose French but school administration pushed me in a class where the second language was German, that I didn't really have any intention to learn.. Then I decided to teach myself. I bought my first French grammar book and dictionary.
Maths, English, chemistry, literature etc. classes were taking almost all my time and French had to be my hobby, like a spare time activity. These times, at the age of 15, I realized that I was really a language lover although my high school branch was science. I was really enjoying the time spent on learning French.
At the university, where I could have more spare time I focused more on French. Today I can say that my French level passed my English. Now I feel myself in a total ease when I speak French. Along with French, the language which aroused my interest and curiosity about learning foreign languages, I started to teach myself other foreign languages like Russian and Spanish.
German ? Well,after high school in university I had some attempts to reanimate my carved-and-forgotten German I had at high school but I couldn't really have an affection to this language even though I have a solid base.
Rien n'est comme le français ;)

Return to “French (Français)”