[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
St. Petersburg (Russia) Dutch etymology question - UniLang

St. Petersburg (Russia) Dutch etymology question

Moderator: Aurinĭa

Larry G

St. Petersburg (Russia) Dutch etymology question

Postby Larry G » 2010-11-29, 3:37

Hi everyone,

I have an etymology question about the city of St. Petersburg, Russia. I'm new to the forums. So, even though this question is in English and involves some other languages, it particularly concerns Dutch. I have always read that the city's etymology was after Dutch. But the city name in Russian is: Санкт-Петербург, which transliterates to "Sankt-Peterburg". However, in modern Dutch, the city is "Sint-Petersburg". Coincidentally in Swedish, the city name is "Sankt-Petersburg", which looks a whole lot like the transliteration of the Russian. Given that the city area was taken from the Swedish Empire, it almost seems like a slam dunk, that the etymology is in fact Swedish.

Does anyone know the facts concerning this? Was the word "sint" originally "sankt" in older forms or dialects of Dutch or Lower Saxon? I can't find anything specific about the etymology, except that it credits Dutch as the originating language and oddly looks nothing like modern Dutch. Are there any sources online that concern the language etymology of the city name?

Thanks for your answers. Bedankt. :)

Larry

Grytolle

Re: St. Petersburg (Russia) Dutch etymology question

Postby Grytolle » 2010-11-29, 14:30

I'd say that Swedish "sankt(-/0/-er/-a)" comes from Latin "sanctus" and Dutch "sint" (-0, -e, -er) from French "saint" (which of course comes from Latin sanctus)

Muisje

Postby Muisje » 2010-11-29, 15:57

According to this, 'sint' came from French but there was an alternative form in Middle Dutch 'san(c)t' that did come from Latin. It seems to be more common without the c, though.
you either lose your fear
or spend your life
with one foot in the grave
over the rhine - spark

Grytolle

Postby Grytolle » 2010-11-29, 18:41

I think that the name is german btw. Peter the Great imported tons of German workers and so on to make Russia catch up with Europe

Return to “Dutch (Nederlands)”