[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
The Dutch right periphery - UniLang

The Dutch right periphery

Moderator: Aurinĭa

cataphor

The Dutch right periphery

Postby cataphor » 2013-03-24, 17:54

Hei-hei,

as far as I know, you can say something like (1) in Dutch:

(1) Ik heb toen een man gezien, gisteren.

Would it also be possible to say (2) or (3), or would that be odd, and to what extent?

(2) Ik heb gisteren een man gezien, toen.

(3) Ik heb gisteren een man gezien, gisteren.

Thanks for your judgements in advance!

Best regards,
Andreas

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Re: The Dutch right periphery

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-03-24, 20:04

I think they all sound quite odd! But when you speak of course word order is less strict than normal.
Interests: lots.
Motivation: little.

Corrections appreciated.

Plaas

Postby Plaas » 2013-03-29, 17:16

I would say both (1) and (3) are possible. (2) doesn't make sense to me. (1) is the most natural one, "toen" being specified in a second statement ("gisteren"). (3) is just saying the same word twice, as it is normal in colloquial speech.
- Plaas' vermannen

Lidmaatschap beëindigd 30-11-2014.

Muisje

Postby Muisje » 2013-03-30, 13:14

I think (1) is pretty normal in spoken language. (2) is weird. (3) is, uhm, possible.. but redundant. (obviously :P ) The situation that arises in my head is when you've mispronounced the first 'gisteren', or you're not sure the other person heard it for some reason, or you suddenly forgot whether or not you actually said it and decide to repeat it just in case.. something like that.
you either lose your fear
or spend your life
with one foot in the grave
over the rhine - spark

Return to “Dutch (Nederlands)”