[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Can anyone let me know your opinion for Bible - Page 17 - UniLang

Can anyone let me know your opinion for Bible

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

sa wulfs

Re: Can anyone let me know your opinion for Bible

Postby sa wulfs » 2011-01-03, 0:43

It's official doctrine and the standard belief of most Catholics.
http://ungelicisus.blogspot.com
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-01-03, 0:54

I am a big fan of the Church, but anyway, yes, the Big Bang is official Catholic dogma (as is evolution for that matter).

Talib wrote:Is that official Vatican policy or just a piece of fanon?
I really don't see what about Aristotle is outdated
How relevant are his thoughts on politics, ethics and poetry today?

I think a better question would be what do you think are out of date about his thoughts on these subjects (I presume, for example, most people don't think of the concept of a tragic flaw as an out of date concept).

You're still talking about his minor works (I haven't read his Politics anyway, so I don't know what he has to say about the subject), though, why not bring up the Categories, Posterior Analytics, or the Metaphysics? I mean, if you wanted to think of Aristotle as just the author of the Physics, he would occupy the same space as a Ptolemy - an interesting blip in the history of science, but no one's cared about the Physics (aside from interesting details like basically describing the mechanism of natural selection 2,500 years before Darwin and as ) for centuries.
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-01-03, 1:08

Politics is not really a minor work but okay.
Big Bang is official Catholic dogma (as is evolution for that matter).
I know they are. Where are the canonical statements that "God did it"?

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-01-03, 1:22

Talib wrote:Politics is not really a minor work but okay.

Do you think I mean not an important work as an absolute statement? I meant it as within Aristotle's oeuvre.

I know they are. Where are the canonical statements that "God did it"?

What? Do you want me to find the exact quotes from Papal encyclicals? I don't understand why you would even be suspicious of this being doctrine if you know that official Catholic dogma is both that God created the universe and that the Big Bang happened.
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-01-03, 1:28

That's the sort of inference I don't like to make.

You're mighty pissy tonight. Did that comment about your degree touch a nerve?

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-01-03, 1:35

I didn't know how I'm being pissy, though I'm pretty perplexed how you think it requires any sort of inference to connect those two thoughts (afterall, it's not like it was originally devised by a Catholic priest and decried for years as a papal invasion of science).
-A.E. Housman

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-01-03, 1:37

"The Catholic Church supports the Big Bang."
"The Catholic Church believes in God."

Logically speaking, to draw "the Catholic Church believes God made the Big Bang" is actually quite a leap based on those premises. I wanted to know if you had some sort of confirmation for that since while I don't really doubt it, I've never heard it explicitly stated before.

And who says logic is outmoded!

sa wulfs

Postby sa wulfs » 2011-01-03, 1:40

It's more like
"The Catholic Church believes the Big Bang was how the universe came into being"
"The Catholic Church believes God created the universe"
http://ungelicisus.blogspot.com
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-01-03, 1:52

Yes, it rather helps if you use the two premises I used instead of making up what I said.

I mean, do you actually think that there's a chance that the Catholic Church's official doctrine isn't that God created the universe?
-A.E. Housman

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-01-03, 3:23

I don't have any idea where you got that one from. Who's making stuff up now?

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-01-03, 3:41

KingHarvest wrote: I don't understand why you would even be suspicious of this being doctrine if you know that official Catholic dogma is both that God created the universe and that the Big Bang happened.

Talib wrote:That's the sort of inference I don't like to make.

KingHarvest wrote:I'm pretty perplexed how you think it requires any sort of inference to connect those two thoughts (afterall, it's not like it was originally devised by a Catholic priest and decried for years as a papal invasion of science).

Talib wrote:"The Catholic Church supports the Big Bang."
"The Catholic Church believes in God."

Logically speaking, to draw "the Catholic Church believes God made the Big Bang" is actually quite a leap based on those premises.

Was how the conversation was going in my mind. It seemed to me that you were changing my premises rather than just presenting entirely different ones.
-A.E. Housman

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-01-03, 4:15

Well, an inductive leap is also required to get from "God created the universe" to "God made the Big Bang" but it's not as great and besides I'm bored of this and I don't even believe God exists so what's the point.

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2011-01-03, 4:23

I was under the impression that a Catholic priest was the one who proposed the theory of the Big Bang. And according to Catholic doctrine, whatever the Pope says is infallible, and I think that in general the Catholic church sees its priests as close to infallible. (I forget the term right now). I have in my hand the "Catechism of the Catholic Church"(dusty, but I found it, next to The Book of Mormon :) ), and I'm trying to find the Origin of Life section. I also think this was a Vatican II decision. If I find it, I'll repost.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-01-03, 4:30

Yeah, looks like you learned a lot from your Masters of Divinity.

The pope is only considered infallible when he speaks ex cathedra, i.e. in encyclicals and such, not all the time (and even then, it's only in matters of dogma, not everything), and priests certainly aren't considered anything like infallible.

The Big Bang has been accepted by the Church since at least the '50s.
-A.E. Housman

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2011-01-03, 6:30

KingHarvest wrote:Yeah, looks like you learned a lot from your Masters of Divinity.

I didn't go to a Catholic seminary. I went to a Protestant seminary, and "comparative faiths" was only one class. I learned about Catholicism on my own. My wife was raised Catholic.
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

ILuvEire
Link Moderator

Postby ILuvEire » 2011-01-03, 11:46

Formiko wrote:I was under the impression that a Catholic priest was the one who proposed the theory of the Big Bang. And according to Catholic doctrine, whatever the Pope says is infallible, and I think that in general the Catholic church sees its priests as close to infallible. (I forget the term right now). I have in my hand the "Catechism of the Catholic Church"(dusty, but I found it, next to The Book of Mormon :) ), and I'm trying to find the Origin of Life section. I also think this was a Vatican II decision. If I find it, I'll repost.

It was accepted by Pope Pius XII in '51, quite a while before Vatican II. And an interesting place to keep it.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2011-01-03, 16:46

KingHarvest wrote:Yeah, looks like you learned a lot from your Masters of Divinity.

Formiko wrote:I went to a Protestant seminary, and "comparative faiths" was only one class. I learned about Catholicism on my own.

Q.E.D.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2011-01-03, 21:05

linguoboy wrote:Q.E.D.

So you're saying that because I didn't learn about the Catholic Catechism (which ISN'T the Bible BTW), that proves that sarcastic remark?
In no particular order

ILuvEire
Link Moderator

Postby ILuvEire » 2011-01-04, 2:37

KH said, essentially, that you didn't learn much in your Masters of Divinity. Then you essentially said you didn't learn much in your Masters of Divinity about other kinds of religion. So, yes, he is.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2011-01-04, 2:41

ILuvEire wrote:KH said, essentially, that you didn't learn much in your Masters of Divinity. Then you essentially said you didn't learn much in your Masters of Divinity about other kinds of religion. So, yes, he is.

Since it's already been amply demonstrate upthread how very little he learned about Biblical criticism and exegesis. But I suppose there's something to be said for being able to name all the minor prophets in order.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Literature”