[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
What are you currently reading? (part 2) - Page 10 - UniLang

What are you currently reading? (part 2)

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

linguoboy

Re: What are you currently reading? (part 2)

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-09, 15:43

Fabiano wrote:I first need to tackle the classics before I waste my time with modern literature.
What makes you consider modern literature a "waste of time"?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

loqu
Language Forum Moderator
Location: Sevilla (Andalucía) and València (País Valencià), but originally from Cádiz (Andalucía)

Postby loqu » 2015-03-09, 16:31

There are lots of modern literature that would be less of a waste of time than Don Quijote.
De tant que et vull, et trac un ull.
Qui no vulga pols, que no vaja a l'era.

Fabiano

Postby Fabiano » 2015-03-09, 18:41

Lol, guess I should have said "spend my time" instead of "waste my time"...

loqu wrote:There are lots of modern literature that would be less of a waste of time than Don Quijote.

Having desperately fallen in love with this book, I cannot possibly understand the meaning of this statement.

And you are from Spain... :hmm:

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-03-09, 18:43

Fabiano wrote:And you are from Spain... :hmm:

So what?

Fabiano

Postby Fabiano » 2015-03-09, 20:02

Spain is the land of Cervantes.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-09, 20:12

Fabiano wrote:Spain is the land of Cervantes.
All the more reason. I never had to grow up hearing that Cervantes was the greatest writer ever or be force-fed any of his prose.

After a couple other false starts, I'm reading David Marcus' A land not theirs, a fictionalised account of the Jewish community in Cork. Still only about halfway through the Fuentes. I really hope it goes somewhere interesting enough to make up for all the casual racism and sexism.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Fabiano

Postby Fabiano » 2015-03-09, 21:05

I tended to think like that.

Untill I started to read the damn thing...and immediately understood the "hype".

But it's surely not the kind of literature which will please "everyone"...

loqu
Language Forum Moderator
Location: Sevilla (Andalucía) and València (País Valencià), but originally from Cádiz (Andalucía)

Postby loqu » 2015-03-10, 14:56

linguoboy wrote:
Fabiano wrote:Spain is the land of Cervantes.
All the more reason. I never had to grow up hearing that Cervantes was the greatest writer ever or be force-fed any of his prose.

Eeeexactly.

I am lucky I wasn't forced to read the whole book in high school, but most Spanish teenagers are. I think it's quite dull and Spanish literature has lots of better works than that one.

And having a Spanish citizenship doesn't mean I will praise everything that's taken for Spanish.

Fabiano

Postby Fabiano » 2015-03-10, 17:10

If you find the opus "dull", what can I say? I will not 'force' you to like it.

All in all, what are the Spanish books you'd rank higher than Don Quijote?

loqu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby loqu » 2015-03-10, 19:13

Fabiano wrote:If you find the opus "dull", what can I say? I will not 'force' you to like it.

Given that you don't want modern literature, I'd root for La Regenta (19th century).

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2015-03-11, 9:11

loqu wrote:
Fabiano wrote:If you find the opus "dull", what can I say? I will not 'force' you to like it.

Given that you don't want modern literature, I'd root for La Regenta (19th century).

(en) And what do you prefer in modern literature?

(es) ¿Y qué prefieres como literatura moderna?
Please correct my mistakes!

Fabiano

Postby Fabiano » 2015-03-11, 18:24

I'm sure that Vicente Blasco Ibanez is going to be mentioned in this topic.

loqu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby loqu » 2015-03-11, 21:12

Car wrote: (en) And what do you prefer in modern literature?

(es) ¿Y qué prefieres como literatura moderna?

No he leído tanta literatura moderna en español, pero por ejemplo, puedo recomendar Crónica de una muerte anunciada de Gabriel García Márquez.

I haven't read that much modern literature in Spanish, but for example, I can recommend Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2015-03-12, 8:26

loqu wrote:No he leído tanta literatura moderna en español, pero por ejemplo, puedo recomendar Crónica de una muerte anunciada de Gabriel García Márquez.

I haven't read that much modern literature in Spanish, but for example, I can recommend Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez.

¡Gracias! / Thank you!
Please correct my mistakes!

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2015-03-16, 7:10

I finished 風林火山, an historical novel about the famous strategist Yamamoto Kansuke. Several years ago I watched the excellent Taiga drama which is based on the novel. Kansuke was a real handyman, not only crafting strategies for the clan, but also managing the concubine and succession situation for his lord.

I also finished Pride and Prejudice. Not a bad book, but the endless navel-gazing of the characters got old quick. I don't like reading about people who wish to accomplish nothing more in life than to marry well.

I'm currently reading 盛世 by Chan Koonchung. Banned in China.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-16, 14:26

Yasna wrote:I finished 風林火山, an historical novel about the famous strategist Yamamoto Kansuke.
When I saw the words "historical drama", my reaction was, "By Inoue Yasushi?" What a boring writer. I barely finished his 敦煌 even though the translation is only 200 pages. I attempted his 天平の甍 twice and never made it more than a chapter in. I really don't get his appeal.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2015-03-16, 16:15

linguoboy wrote:When I saw the words "historical drama", my reaction was, "By Inoue Yasushi?" What a boring writer. I barely finished his 敦煌 even though the translation is only 200 pages. I attempted his 天平の甍 twice and never made it more than a chapter in. I really don't get his appeal.

This was my first book by Inoue, and I was well entertained. It was full of geopolitical intrigue writ small and with a feudal Japanese flavor. I can well imagine how that sort of thing doesn't appeal to everyone though. It was interesting to me how the concubines influenced state affairs, and how Kansuke schemed to get his lord to become a monk so that he could take no more concubines, to avoid destabilizing the clan any further. I also plan to try 猟銃 from the same author.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-16, 16:28

Yasna wrote:I also plan to try 猟銃 from the same author.
Seems like that's the place to start with Inoue. We have translations of it not only into English (as part of the UNESCO Representative Works series) but also German and French.

I like political intrigue, but I read for style as much as for plot and Inoue's style doesn't grab me (at least not in translation and there's no way I'll ever have enough Japanese to read him in the original).

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2015-03-16, 17:06

linguoboy wrote:I like political intrigue, but I read for style as much as for plot and Inoue's style doesn't grab me (at least not in translation and there's no way I'll ever have enough Japanese to read him in the original).

I think translation is at least partly to blame. His style is really quite vibrant and appealing. I think the flavor of his writing might not translate well. For example, if you faithfully translate the manner of speech that the samurais used towards their lord, it would be so deferential that it would sound almost like a joke. But if you leave out some of their extremely deferential manners of speaking in exchange for more natural sounding English, then you lose much of the flavor of the writing.

Fabiano

Postby Fabiano » 2015-03-16, 17:20

Yasna wrote:I also finished Pride and Prejudice. Not a bad book, but the endless navel-gazing of the characters got old quick. I don't like reading about people who wish to accomplish nothing more in life than to marry well.

I'm no Jane Austen fan, but this was the reality of that time.

Return to “Literature”