[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
The last thing you read - Page 5 - UniLang

The last thing you read

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Re: The last thing you read

Postby Aurinĭa » 2015-03-09, 22:25

A bunch of webcomics. The last thing on paper was either Spiegelingen 1-3 by Valérie Mangin and a different illustrator for each part, or Kenya (integraal) by Léo and Rodolphe, or De onschuldige schuldigen by Laurent Galandon and Anlor. I'm a mass consumer. Or I would be, if I had time to go to the library every other day. :P

The last book you read which had drawings without being a comic book.
I te tīmetanga e putanga mai ana he whakaahua, a, he aroha.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-10, 3:05

The last non-graphic novel I read with illustrations was The Nickronomicon by Nick Mamatas, a compilation of his Lovecraft-inspired fiction. GMB Chomichuk did the artwork, but I'm not sure you could call the illos "drawings" per se. So if you want to be really strict about it, it might be The finer points of sausage dogs by Alexander McCall-Smith. Iain Mcintosh did the line drawings for that.

The last thing you read that attempted something ambitious without succeeding at it.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-03-10, 3:30

vijayjohn wrote:The last thing you read that was set in a community you identify with strongly on a personal level.

Looking back on this, did I reply appropriately? I took it as the setting being a place or something that has affected me strongly. But now I think I misinterpreted it :| .
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

Sectori

Postby Sectori » 2015-03-10, 10:29

linguoboy wrote:The last thing you read that attempted something ambitious without succeeding at it.

Air Cuan Dubh Drilseach, le Tim Armstrong, gun teagamh — b’ e a’ chiad leabhar saidheans-ficsean do dh’inbhich sa’ Ghàidhlig a bh’ ann, agus bha cuid de bheachdan làidir gu leòr ann, ach bha e a’ feuchainn ri cus a chur ann an leabhar beagan ro ghoirid.

Air Cuan Dubh Drilseach, by Tim Armstrong, definitely — it was the first science fiction novel for adults in Gaelic, and there were some reasonably strong ideas behind it, but he was trying to fit too many things into a book that was slightly too short.

The last book you read that included a foreign language (beyond just a word or two) without a translation.
tha dannsa nad ghluasadan,
’s bàrdachd neònach air cùl do bhruidhinn,
anns na faclan nach abair thu idir.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-03-10, 10:42

L prum che me vegn tel cef l'é L'inom de la resa de U. Eco olache l'é n muion de frases per latin zenza traslazion (amancol te la verscïon talièna).
The first one that comes to my mind is The Name of The Rose by U.Eco where there are a lot of sentences in Latin without a translation (at least in the Italian version).

L'ùltim liber che no t'es stat bon de fenir.
The last book that you wasn't able to finish.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-10, 13:03

IpseDixit wrote:The last book that you weren't able to finish.
The story of Zahra (حكاية زهرة) by Hanan al-Shaykh (حنان الشيخ). It's interesting and well-written overall, by the chapter on how the uncle of the protagonist became a revolutionary feels very familiar, so I put it aside for a while and haven't come back to it yet.

The last thing you read to mention physical locations you have visited before.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-03-10, 13:24

linguoboy wrote: The last thing you read to mention physical locations you have visited before.

I might be wrong, but I think it was Budapest Noir, a crime novel, where they not only were in Budapest, Hungary (although in the '30s), but also visited Lillafüred, Hungary, which I've also been to.

The last fiction you read that somehow featured chemistry, the science.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-11, 7:49

"Miracle in a Lake," a cartoon based on a story sent in by Azhar Hussain, in Tinkle Holiday Special No. 16.

The last thing you read in which a tube of toothpaste was mentioned.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-11, 15:58

La cabeza de la hidra by Carlos Fuentes. The protagonist is searching a hotel room for something very small and in the process exprimió la pasta de dientes. So although the word "tube" isn't stated explicitly, it's pretty clear one was involved.

And I realise I never answered Yasna's question about poetry. If I'm honest, I think the truth is I just got lazy. To really get something out of poetry, you have to give it more attention than you would ordinary prose and I no longer make time to really focus on reading something difficult like I used to. I mostly read for pleasure during my commute or when I'm trying to get to sleep, and those just aren't optimal conditions for devoting your full attention to something.

The last thing you read that really required your complete concentration.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-13, 6:44

linguoboy wrote:And I realise I never answered Yasna's question about poetry.

I also never answered Koko's question. Koko, do you identify personally with the setting in Dante's Inferno? If you did, then I think your reply was appropriate. :)
The last thing you read that really required your complete concentration.

That must be a February 1997 National Geographic article called "The Great Khans" by Mike Edwards.

The last thing you read in the language it was originally written in.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-03-14, 2:49

vijayjohn wrote:
linguoboy wrote:And I realise I never answered Yasna's question about poetry.

I also never answered Koko's question. Koko, do you identify personally with the setting in Dante's Inferno? If you did, then I think your reply was appropriate. :)

Hmm, :twisted: then indeed I identify with hell :twisted: Mwahaha!! Bow on your knees to Hades! not Satin, because Hades is by far the better god… the Hob isn't even a god.

The last thing you read in the language it was originally written in.

Night of the Soulstealer by Joseph Delany: read in English; written in written. I've only ever read English books :whistle: .

The last adaptation you read; ie, book based on a movie.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-15, 22:32

:lol: Well...I just remembered that I had a copy of Disney's അലാദ്ദീൻ (Aladdin) in Malayalam. (So, a book adaptation of the Disney movie. There is no information on who the author is. All it says is that it was published by Indian Express Egmont Publications Ltd. lol). So I found it and read it just now. :P It's kind of funny to read that story in Malayalam since they're basically trying to describe the movie scene by scene. :lol: I always thought it was kind of funny that the word they use for 'bread' (when Aladdin steals a loaf of bread) is അപ്പം, which is actually this, even though there's another word for 'bread' in Malayalam. Maybe they were inspired by the Lord's Prayer, where "bread" as in "give us this day our daily bread" is translated the same way since we eat that way more often than we eat bread. :P

Anyway!

The last thing you read that was based on the local mythology of the place the author came from.

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-03-16, 10:26

vijayjohn wrote:The last thing you read that was based on the local mythology of the place the author came from.

The last thing was a Finnish novel, but I don't want to mention something Finnish, so I'll mention instead The Wizard of the Crow, by the Kenyan author Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o. It's a political satire fantasy set in an imaginary country, but I'm sure it had some actual Kenyan elements in it, too, if nothing else then the belief in witchcraft.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-17, 21:25

No last thing you read this time? :P

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-03-18, 21:39

vijayjohn wrote:No last thing you read this time? :P

Oh dear, sorry about that.

The last thing you read that made you feel squeamish.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-20, 0:41

Varislintu wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:No last thing you read this time? :P

Oh dear, sorry about that.

Np. :)
The last thing you read that made you feel squeamish.

Hmm...Babel No More by Mike Erard. I just couldn't stand having to read about people who I can identify with an awful lot from the perspective of someone who was making it increasingly clear that he was an outsider looking in.

The last thing you read that was narrated in first person.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-20, 1:00

The Guards by Ken Bruen.

The last thing you read narrated in second person.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-20, 1:45

I haven't read all of it, but I think that would be a poem in Malayalam called വീണപൂവ് [ˈʋiːɳəbuːʋɯ] 'The Falling Flower' by N. Kumaran Asan.

The last thing you read in which the main character had an affair.

Return to “Literature”