[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
The last thing you read - Page 4 - UniLang

The last thing you read

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

IpseDixit

Re: The last thing you read

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-02-03, 22:12

I have a question. Do we necessarily have to give a title or can we also say "I've never read anything of the kind"?
É na domana. Él pa de òbligh dèr n titol o podone ence dir "no é mai let nia de chesta sfera"?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-03, 23:00

Personally, I think it's best if we do give a title. Otherwise, this game could end up being pretty boring with the first person to see the last post always replying with "I've never read anything of the kind." :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-09, 1:09

Uh-oh. Did I kill this game with that last post? Sorry. :(

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-02-09, 1:42

IpseDixit wrote:I have a question. Do we necessarily have to give a title or can we also say "I've never read anything of the kind"?
How about if you answer with a variation instead? Like, "I've never read something narrated from the point of view of a housecat, but I have read something narrated from the point of view of a pig" or "I've never read anything set in Wales but I have read something set in New South Wales."

Last postmodern thing I read was Nick Mamatas' Sensation, which I think I may have used as an answer before.

The last thing you read that was one in a series.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-09, 1:54

Oh, good, so I didn't kill this game after all! :D
linguoboy wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:I have a question. Do we necessarily have to give a title or can we also say "I've never read anything of the kind"?
How about if you answer with a variation instead? Like, "I've never read something narrated from the point of view of a housecat, but I have read something narrated from the point of view of a pig"?

I agree, that sounds like an interesting idea.
The last thing you read that was one in a series.

Hmm...that would probably be an Indian comic book entitled "Chandragupta Maurya" by Subba Rao from the Amar Chitra Katha series (in English, though it's available in various other (mostly Indian) languages as well). The version in that particular comic book is based on a work of Kannada prose called Mudra Manjusha (1823), which is based on two 17th-century introductory essays to a 9th-century play about Chandragupta Maurya.

The last thing you read with somebody else.

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-02-15, 20:30

vijayjohn wrote:The last thing you read with somebody else.

Well, if it counts that we bought the book together and then read it one after the other, then me and my boyfriend read Dark Eden (Chris Beckett) in that kind of fashion last. :)

The last book you read in which food of some sort featured prominently.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-15, 22:24

"Lunch," a short story by the Malayalee author VKN from the collection Payyan Kathakal.

The last thing you read that was set in a country that was occupied by another at the time (but is now independent).

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Lada » 2015-02-16, 10:52

I suppose it was something written by Erich Maria Remarque. I've read most of his books but I'm not sure if any of them is set in an occupied country. Maybe Im Westen nichts Neues or Zeit zu leben und Zeit zu sterben?

The last horror book you've read.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-22, 5:49

I'm not a big fan of horror, tbh, and I don't think I've ever read a horror book per se (at least, I can't remember one), but the last short story in that genre I read must have been "The Pit and the Pendulum" by Edgar Allan Poe.

The last poem you read. (I count song lyrics as poems, too. After all, every poem in Malayalam is supposed to have a tune, and songs are poetry, too, so... ;) :lol:)
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2015-03-02, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-02, 22:51

It's sad how little I read poetry anymore. It used to be one of my favourite things, but now about the only time I deal with it is when my husband buys a new Chinese poetry scroll that he needs deciphered and he hasn't been acquiring much of anything lately. So the last time I can remember with certainty reading poetry is November, 2013 when I finished Genji monogatari. (There are poems in every chapter.) I can't remember what poem that was, but I can look it up easily enough.

ETA: Actually it's good that you mention songs because that reminds me that I read "Táim Sínte ar do Thuama" ("I am stretched out on your grave"), a poem that's been set to music and recorded by various artists. My favourite version is a sean-nós one sung by Diarmuid Ó Súilleabháin.

The last thing you read which dealt with the Holocaust.
Last edited by linguoboy on 2015-03-03, 2:47, edited 1 time in total.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-02, 23:31

Chapter 4 "O Baro Porrajmos - The Holocaust" in We Are the Romani people/Ame sam e Rromane džene by Ian Hancock.

The last thing you read that you remember learning something interesting from.

Sectori

Postby Sectori » 2015-03-02, 23:39

A-rèir Air Mo Chuairt, le Ealasaid Chaimbeul, ’s coltach nach robh luchan ann am Bhatarsaigh gus uaireigin às dèidh 1966 (chan eil i ag ràdh dìreach cuin), nuair a thàinig luch throm dhan eilean air a’ bhàt’-aiseig.
Apparently, according to Ealasaid Chaimbeul's Air Mo Chuairt, there were no mice on Vatersay until sometime after 1966 (she doesn't specify when exactly), when a pregnant mouse made its way to the island on the ferry.

The last thing you read in translation.
tha dannsa nad ghluasadan,
’s bàrdachd neònach air cùl do bhruidhinn,
anns na faclan nach abair thu idir.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-03, 2:53

"The death of Marinese", an English translation of "'La fine del Marinese", Primo Levi's first published short story.

The last thing you read that you didn't really understand.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2015-03-03, 2:58

linguoboy wrote:It's sad how little I read poetry anymore.

Did you lose interest or is there some other reason for it?
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-03, 5:54

linguoboy wrote:The last thing you read that you didn't really understand.

Well, unless the book that I'm reading now counts (Pithaamahan by VKN), that would have to be the last thing I read before that (and in my case, by "didn't really understand," I (mostly) mean the language). :lol: In that case, it would be Malakal by E. M. Kovoor.
Yasna wrote:
linguoboy wrote:It's sad how little I read poetry anymore.

Did you lose interest or is there some other reason for it?

Eh, I can understand. I used to read poetry more often than I do now, but life gets in the way. Js.

The last thing you read that was set in a community you identify with strongly on a personal level.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-03-09, 4:52

The Inferno of Dante as translated by Robert Pinsky. Only that the nice ghouls are recurring and the demons exist together as one.

The last thing you read that left in an unresolved cliffhanger.
 (it) Correggimi per favore (se lo sbaglio è grave, sennò non correggermi perché potrei correggermelo da solo)  (bg) Българският не е руски  (cs) Jsem krásný jazyk. :D ^^

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-09, 6:12

Urgh, I hate it when that happens! :x I almost don't want to remember what the last thing I read like that was. :lol:

You know, come to think of it, I guess you could say Malakal is a bit like that. I mean...it's like you can imagine what the end must be like, but you don't really know either. It could end up being better than you expect, even if it's not very likely, but at least for me, it didn't really feel like a cliffhanger either, because I felt sure of what the outcome would be.

The last thing you read in a magazine.

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Lada » 2015-03-09, 13:44

I've read an article about spiritiual growth and KPIs in business, how they correlate with each other or rather how they don't.

The last thing you read with main character being gay.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-09, 14:39

Lada wrote:The last thing you read with [b]the main character being gay.[/b]
(Or "...with a gay main character".)

Edmund White's The married man. Despite his central importance to contemporary American gay male literature, I'd never really read him before. His style is terrific, but at different points I pretty much wanted to slap every single major character in this novel. I have higher hopes for his Hotel de Dream.

The last thing you read which featured an explicit sex scene.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-09, 21:04

I'd say there's a sex scene in Yakshi by Malayattoor Ramakrishnan, but the narrator suffers from ED, so it doesn't last long. It's a fairly bold description of what happens from his perspective, though (especially in a culture where sex just isn't talked about and people tend to hide their insecurities), so I suppose it's explicit in that sense.

The last comic book or cartoon you read.

Return to “Literature”