[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
Pronunciation dictionary - UniLang

Pronunciation dictionary

Moderator: kibo

Grytolle

Pronunciation dictionary

Postby Grytolle » 2013-05-01, 17:36

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is any place online where I can look up the pronunciation of words. Currently I only use wiktionary, which works, but only as far as it knows the words.

At the moment I am trying to figure out how to pronounce:

-perilica (rublja)
-sušlica (rublja)
-sudoper (judging by forvo, it's "sùdoper")

I'm also wondering if the stress changes in the oblique cases of "umivaonik" (do I say "u umivaònīku, or "u umivaoníku"?) - I was told that it does in "novčànīk", to "novčānìku", so that's why I'm wondering.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lalaith en Noldor

Re: Pronunciation dictionary

Postby Lalaith en Noldor » 2013-05-01, 19:09

Hmm, you can try this site, they seem to have accents marked on words in nominative case (sometimes in the genitive and nominative plural as well, probably because it changes there). I'd really like to help you with the change of the accents, just that I know how they are pronounced, but I'm never sure which of the accents marks should I use as the right one.
 (hr) - native,  (en) - proficient,  (hu) - advanced,  (dk) /  (ca)- dabbling in

Grytolle

Postby Grytolle » 2013-05-01, 19:38

Thanks a lot! That really helped. :D

Grytolle wrote:-perilica (rublja)
-sušlica (rublja)
-sudoper (judging by forvo, it's "sùdoper")

I'm also wondering if the stress changes in the oblique cases of "umivaonik" (do I say "u umivaònīku, or "u umivaoníku"?) - I was told that it does in "novčànīk", to "novčānìku", so that's why I'm wondering

pèrilica (short rising) rublja (long falling)
sušlica (not available in that dictionary)
sùdoper (short rising)

novčànīk m 〈G novčaníka, N mn novčaníci, G novčaníkā〉
umivaònīk m 〈G umivaoníka, N mn umivaoníci〉
-umivaonik does indeed behave like novčanik then

Thanks again, that site will be really useful for me!

Would you say that "sušlica" has the same accentual pattern as "perilica"? I am guessing it's a dimunitive of "sùšilo"?

Edit:
If I have a noun with an accent shift, like "đâk" (falling), which becomes "đàk-" (rising) in oblique cases, what accent does the nominative get if I hook on a clitic to it? Do I say "đàk je..." (rising) or "đâk je...." (falling)?

Is it ok if I assimilate š to ś (the same difference as between č and ć, but without the t-element) at times, seeing as this language doesn't have any ś-phoneme? I noticed that I automatically say śkôljka instead of škôljka :hmm:

Lalaith en Noldor

Postby Lalaith en Noldor » 2013-05-02, 19:30

It's sušilica :)

You would be understood if you pronounce it as śkoljka, although yes, we don't use ś at all, and I'm just guessing how soft you say it.
 (hr) - native,  (en) - proficient,  (hu) - advanced,  (dk) /  (ca)- dabbling in

Grytolle

Postby Grytolle » 2013-06-21, 17:33

I was wondering what happens to accentuation in the case of vowel deletion :hmm:

Say you have a word with a rising accent, for example pítao or an inflected form of vèlik (two examples I have come across):

(roughly outlining the tonality using - for higher and _ for a lower tone)

Code: Select all

p i i t a o
  _ -   - _

v e l i k o
  -   -   _

Let's say these forms are then contracted to pito and velko. What happens then? Is the high tone in question simply deleted (yielding a falling accent in the case of a short rising accent, and something somewhat ambiguous in the case of a long rising accent), or is a new high tone assigned to the previously low segment (keeping everything rising)?

Alternative 1 (deleted things marked with an x), compared to a word with normal falling/rising accents and the same amount of syllables:

3 syllabic rising   contracted      2 syllabic falling      2 syllabic rising

p i i t x o      =>   p i i t o   <>   d a a n u      <>      g l a a v a
  _ -   x _      =>     _ -   _   <>     - _   _      <>          _ -   -

v e l x k o      =>   v e l k o   <>   m o ž e         <>      k r e v e t
  -   x   _      =>     -     _   <>     -   _         <>         -   -

Alternative 2:

p i i t a o      =>   p i i t o
  _ -   - _      =>     _ -   -

v e l i k o      =>   v e l k o
  -   -   _      =>     -     -

I had been wondering this for a while, but today I found a way to visualize my question.

Thanks!

Return to “Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian (Bosanski/Hrvatski/Српски)”