[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Portuguese colonialism - UniLang

Portuguese colonialism

Moderator: Luís

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Portuguese colonialism

Postby vijayjohn » 2013-12-04, 1:51

This topic came up in the translations thread, where we started basically discussing it. I thought I might as well make a separate thread for it instead of requiring the entirety of a lengthy discussion about it to be bilingual. (Well, OK, I wanted to say more than I'd want to say in that thread). :P

So, we can use this thread to talk about Portuguese influence (particularly in non-lusophone countries) in general, but I thought I'd start out with Kerala as a case study.

The Portuguese seem to have been in control over Kerala for at least a hundred years. Vasco da Gama visited Kerala on all three of his voyages and died and was even buried there (in St. Francis Church), although his remains were subsequently moved to Portugal.

The Portuguese set up three forts in Kerala and, in the naval Battle of Diu, defeated an alliance of the Gujarat Sultanate, the Mamluk Sultanate, the Ottoman Empire, and one of the Malayalee kingdoms, even though this already large, multinational alliance (led by a Malayalee, a Kurdish Mamluk governor, and a Russian Christian who was converted to Islam and served the Gujarat Sultanate) was backed up with support from Venice and Ragusa. :o :lol:

Anyway, Malayalam has a number of loanwords from Portuguese. The ones I'm familiar with are (listed out in Malayalam alphabetical order :P):

അലമാരി [ələˈmaːɾi] 'wardrobe' < armário (compare Hindi/Urdu [əlˈmaɾi] and English almirah, which is probably used more frequently in India than elsewhere)
ആത്ത [ˈaːt̪a] 'custard-apple tree' < ata 'soursop' (a closely related fruit)
ഇസ്തിരി [jisˈt̪iɾi] 'iron (for clothes; noun)' < estirar 'to iron'
ഒലന്ത [oˈlə̃n̪d̪a] or ലന്ത [ˈlə̃n̪d̪a] 'Dutch' < Holanda 'Holland, Netherlands'
കശു [kəˈɕu]* 'cashew' < caju (compare Hindi/Urdu [ˈkadʒu])
കസേര** 'chair' < cadeira
കുരിശ് [kuˈriɕɯ] 'cross' < cruz
ചാക്ക് [ˈtʃaːkɯ] 'bag, sack' < saco
ജനൽ [dʒɛˈnəl] 'window' < janela
തുവ്വാല [t̪ʊʋˈʋaːla] 'handkerchief' < toalha 'towel, table cloth'
പട്ടാളം [pəˈʈaːɭə̃m] 'army, regiment, battalion' < batalhão 'battalion'
പപ്പയ്ക്ക [pəpɛˈkʲa] 'papaya' < papaia***
പേന [ˈpeːna] 'pen' < pena 'feather'
പേര [ˈpeːɾa] 'guava tree' < pera 'pear' (the Hindi/Urdu word for 'guava' similarly comes from the Persian word for 'pear')
ബത്തേരി [bəˈt̪eːɾi] '(army) battery' < bateria
ബോര്മ [ˈboːrma] 'baking oven, bakery' < formo 'oven'
മേശ [ˈmeːɕa] 'table' < mesa
വിനാഗിരി [ʋĩˈnaːgiɾi] 'vinegar' < vinagre
വീഞ്ഞ് [ˈʋĩːɲɲɯ] 'wine' < vinho
വീപ്പ [ˈʋiːpa] 'wooden cask, barrel' < pipa 'large wooden barrel for wine'
റാന്തൽ [ˈrãːn̪d̪əl] 'lantern' < lanterna

*Usually occurs in the form കശുവണ്ടി [kəɕuˈʋə̃ɳɖi] 'cashew nut'; അണ്ടി [ˈə̃ɳɖi] means 'nut'. The word I'm familiar with for 'cashew fruit' is പറങ്കിപ്പഴം [pəˈrə̃ŋgipəɻə̃m], literally 'Portuguese fruit'. In northern Kerala, apparently, they say പറങ്ങാണ്ടി [pərə̃ŋˈŋaːɳɖi] for 'cashew nut'; literally, that means 'Portuguese nut'.
**Written as if it's supposed to be pronounced [kəˈseːɾa], but in my family, I always hear [kəˈsaːre]
***Combined with Malayalam morpheme /ka:/ 'fruit, seed'; occurs alongside native ഓമയ്ക്ക [ˈoːmɛkʲa]

Luís
Forum Administrator

Re: Portuguese colonialism

Postby Luís » 2013-12-07, 23:34

Ah, thanks for the information! That's quite interesting. I knew that there were lots of Portuguese loanwords in several Asian languages (particularly Malay/Indonesian), but I had never read about them in Malayalam! :D
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2013-12-12, 7:02

No problem! Yeah, Malayalam is not exactly a language you hear about every day. :P

I actually forgot to include 1-2 words that I specifically meant to include in that post. :lol: It's the word സവോള [səˈʋoːɭa] or സവാള [səˈʋaːɭa], from cebola.

Like the Portuguese word they come from, these two Malayalam words mean 'onion', although they're actually slightly more specific. The default word for 'onion' in Malayalam is the native word [ˈʊɭɭi], but the type of onion that is typical of Kerala is the very small shallot ((e)chalota), so that's what [ˈʊɭɭi] is usually assumed to mean. The Portuguese-derived words specifically refer to the larger onion that's more common worldwide.

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2014-03-03, 13:54

And here are some Portuguese loanwords in Macau Cantonese:

阿囡薯 aa3 naam4 syu4 'rice' < arroz
煲沙 bou1 saa1 'scholarship' < bolsa
碧架 bik1 gaa3 < bica
甲必单 gaap3 bit1 daan1 '(ship) captain' < capitan
大孖地 daai6 ma1 dei6 'tomato' < tomate
嘟嘟 dou1 dou1 'all, everything' < tudo
骨度 gwat1 dou6 'die' < quaro (???)
加沙 gaa1 sa1 'home' < casa
科假 fo1 gaa3 'pause from work' < folga
啦打 laa1 daa1 'cheeky, shameless' < lata
妈啦 maa1 laa1 'handbag' < mala
妹路檬 mui6 lou6 mung4 'very good' < muito bom
欧拿 au1 naa4 'class' < aula
司打 si1 daa1 'counsil, senate' < senado
沙巴度 saa1 baa1 dou6 'leather shoe' < sapato
梳把 so1 baa2 'thick soup' < sopa
司沙 si1 saa1 'real estate transfer tax' < sisa
问打 man6 daa1 'command, order' < mandar
些菲 se1 fei1 'superior, boss' < chefe
葡萄牙 pou4 tou4 ngaa4 'Portugal' < Portugal
马介休 maa5 gaa3 jau1 < bacalhau

Calques from Portuguese:
割头发 'to cut hair' < cortar cabelo (to cut hair, Chinese uses 剪发)
前地 'front ground' < largo (square, Chinese uses 广场)
综合体 'complex body' < complexo (block of apartments, not used in Chinese)

Portmeanteau:
阿丢 aa2 diu1 < tio (uncle)

The strange thing about the phonetic loans is that Portuguese g is often rendered with /ŋ/, b with /m/ and d with /l/; rather than their unvoiced counterparts /k, p, t/, as it's usual in Chinese dialects.
Or maybe were they trying to use /m/ to represent [β], /l/ for [ð], and /ŋ/ for [ɣ]?
And we the confusion with /n/ and /l/ (found in present Macau & Hong Kong Cantonese as well).

Furthermore, Macau's Cantonese romanization while being 90% the same as the one used in Hong Kong, has some differences, partially caused by Portuguese influence.
E.g. it uses initial "i" instead of "y" for /j/. In early transliteration, "v" was used instead of "w". Sometimes the final "-k" is written '-c'.
And acute accents may be used, such as 黑沙 hec-sá.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-03-03, 17:21

And mandar is, supposedly, where the name "Mandarin" comes from.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2014-03-03, 22:23

Really interesting stuff, hāozigǎnr. Thanks for sharing! :D

hāozigǎnr wrote:骨度 gwat1 dou6 'die' < quaro (???)

Not sure what this is supposed to mean.... "die" (the object) is dado.

mōdgethanc wrote:
And mandar is, supposedly, where the name "Mandarin" comes from.

Probably a myth. Both my dictionaries say it comes from Malay. Wikipedia seems to confirm.

Wikipedia wrote:The English word "mandarin" (from Portuguese mandarim, from Malay menteri, from Sanskrit mantrin, meaning "minister or counsellor") originally meant an official of the Chinese empire.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-03-08, 16:13

Portuguese colonialism has been negatively depicted in Malayalam movie Urumi (the most expensive Malayalam movie ever), it's entitled: Urumi (the boy who wanted to kill Vasco da Gama):

It seems that the Malayalis have negative perception of those times,
the whole movie [dubbed in Telugu] w/English subtitles is available here:

http://youtu.be/8iUK5fj2cbE
learning:  (ne)  (sv)  (es-ar)  (hi) (Assamese, Gujarati, Hindi, Telugu)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2014-03-08, 21:29

I should watch that when I have some free time... :P
(no original Malayalam version?)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2014-03-09, 21:14

I watched the movie this afternoon (it's a bit too long, but I guess that's normal when it comes to Indian cinema). Ok, I know Portuguese explorers are far from being saints, but the movie makes it seem as if they're some evil sadistic madmen who enjoy dismembering people just for fun, while Indians are portrayed as peace-loving people who would never harm a woman or a child until the evil foreigners arrived.

The Portuguese dialog is mostly correct though (even if some phrases are somewhat weird), but the actors seem to be native English-speakers, so the pronunciation is a bit off. Estêvão da Gama is not that bad, but Vasco da Gama's pronunciation is awful.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-03-10, 19:11

Luís wrote:I watched the movie this afternoon (it's a bit too long, but I guess that's normal when it comes to Indian cinema). Ok, I know Portuguese explorers are far from being saints, but the movie makes it seem as if they're some evil sadistic madmen who enjoy dismembering people just for fun, while Indians are portrayed as peace-loving people who would never harm a woman or a child until the evil foreigners arrived.

The Portuguese dialog is mostly correct though (even if some phrases are somewhat weird), but the actors seem to be native English-speakers, so the pronunciation is a bit off. Estêvão da Gama is not that bad, but Vasco da Gama's pronunciation is awful.

I only watched it for like 15 minutes,
I found it boring. :para:

I watch Indian movies mainly for the song videos,
not for the screenplay. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-03-16, 21:58

Luís wrote:I should watch that when I have some free time... :P
(no original Malayalam version?)

Of course there is a Malayalam version with subtitles! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M53RSi-4_Lc

TeneReef wrote:
I watched the movie this afternoon (it's a bit too long, but I guess that's normal when it comes to Indian cinema).

I only watched it for like 15 minutes,
I found it boring. :para:

I watch Indian movies mainly for the song videos,
not for the screenplay. :P

Yeah, Luís, I'm impressed that you managed to watch the whole thing! :D I think my patience with most Indian movies is pretty limited, and there are at most three Malayalam movies I have watched from this century that I feel were actually worth watching. I don't think I've ever even seen any Indian movies from this century with original songs that I particularly liked.

Ok, I know Portuguese explorers are far from being saints, but the movie makes it seem as if they're some evil sadistic madmen who enjoy dismembering people just for fun, while Indians are portrayed as peace-loving people who would never harm a woman or a child until the evil foreigners arrived.

I'll admit that I didn't watch the whole movie, but I tried to find all the scenes with Portuguese characters in them. Don't get me wrong; what you say makes sense. But TBH, from what I could find, I think maybe it's just that villains in Malayalam movies are usually portrayed as these unquestionably evil people who just show up out of nowhere and very often have no clear motives for engaging in extreme violence. :lol: I swear I've seen Indian villains in Malayalam movies who were worse.

Yeah, the guy who played Estêvão da Gama is an American actor based in India. I suspect the guy who played Vasco da Gama is also American (his name is Robin Pratt).

The Malayalam dialogs seem a bit over the top to me, but then that's probably just typical of Malayalam movies, especially these days (and especially in movies that are based on either mythology or actual historical events).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-10-25, 21:02

Just remembered another Portuguese loanword in Malayalam :D

കോപ്പ [ˈkoːpa] 'large cup, bowl' < copa 'cup'

Also, just learned a new word that happens to be a Portuguese loanword :P

വാര [ˈʋaːɾa] 'yard (measurement)' < vara

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-10-26, 1:27

More new Malayalam words haha:

പാതിരി [ˈpaːd̪iɾi] 'Christian priest, padre (and also the trumpet flower tree? :hmm: :lol:) < padre
മേസ്തിരി [ˈmeːst̪iri] 'mason, headman of gang of workmen, headman of masons or carpenters' < mestre 'master'

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-10-26, 7:57

Why does mean come instead of go? :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-10-26, 8:04

Because it's not a Portuguese loanword

Return to “Portuguese (Português)”