[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Got EARS? Prick 'em UP! (Listening) - UniLang

Got EARS? Prick 'em UP! (Listening)

Moderators: Lada, voron

fireyez

Got EARS? Prick 'em UP! (Listening)

Postby fireyez » 2007-05-27, 20:13

Greetings,
We (native Russian speakers of this forum) have been having lots of issues concerning the listening activities, which could make learning Russian as a foreign language easier. That’s why we decided to put up this thread and make some sound exercises, cuz seems like we didn’t have any on this forum.

Here goes our first one.

Mini Sound Exercises

http://fireyez.unilang.org/russian_foru ... ening.html

1.Choose one of the exercises (there are 20 short recordings)
2.Listen to the recording and try to remember what you’ve heard.
3.write down what you’ve heard and check if that was right. (You don’t have to write or type anything actually – you’ll have a set of scrambled words, which you’ll have to drag and drop to the lines in the center of the exercise to form the sentence that you heard in the recordings. (we did not use punctuation like commas, periods or question marks in this activity – only plain words)
4.Click CHECK when you’re done.
5.Click HINT if you don’t know which word should be used.

We do hope you like it.

Please let us know if you have any problems viewing this activity – we are not computer geeks, that’s why there’s a possibility that we could make some mistakes in scripting, sorry if we did.

darkina

Re: Got EARS? Prick 'em UP! (Listening)

Postby darkina » 2007-05-27, 21:59

fireyez wrote:we are not computer geeks

No? ;)

Well, this is really great. And difficult :shock: :oops: I'm doing 7, it's really fast, seems like a film or something and I can't really watch films and such because they speak too fast for me :roll: (while I can read books well enough, that's why this thingy seems extremely useful to me :P :praise: ) I listened to it twice already and I got most of it, another couple of tries would make me manage I guess.

Oh and again it didn't work properly on my Fire(eyez)fox ;), I could hear but it didn't show the word selection, while it works on IE, though the hearing gets more complicated that way but I know the problem here is the firewall or something, well anyway I'm managing :P

Edit: my score is - 23% :biglol:
век живи, век учись, а дураком помрешь

Pleasures remain, so does the pain

Robin

Postby Robin » 2007-06-02, 7:11

ah it's great! how did you make it? we want to set up one in chinese
Je pense, donc je suis
I think, therefore I am
我思, 故我在
Я мыслю поэтому существую
Cogito, ergo sum

fireyez

Postby fireyez » 2007-06-04, 21:38

@darkina

whoa! At least I managed to do something that you really liked. :lol:
Oh and again it didn't work properly on my Fire(eyez)fox , I could hear but it didn't show the word selection, while it works on IE, though the hearing gets more complicated that way but I know the problem here is the firewall or something, well anyway I'm managing

:lol: Check the Settings or the Preferences in Firefox browser. Java n Java Script should be enabled. :yep:
Edit: my score is - 23%

Must be a mistake in scorage scripting. I'm sure that in reality your score was much lower. :lol:

@Robin
ah it's great! how did you make it? we want to set up one in Chinese

well that’s great you guys want to do it too. Unilang definitely needs more sound stuff. What exactly are you interested in? Sound processing or Java Script. Feel free to PM me any time. I’ll be glad to help out.

Ok, another exercise.

Agent XXX

http://fireyez.unilang.org/russian_foru ... ogues.html

there are three dialogues from the movie. all you have to do is listen to the recording and type in the missing words in the dialogue. It’s really easy, dull, and boring.

Good luck!

P.S. if you don’t have high speed internet, then go grab some coffee or beer, cuz you’ll hafta wait till the sound files get loaded. But no worries they’re no more than one Mb each.

dorenda

Postby dorenda » 2007-06-05, 17:55

The background and the check and hint buttons don't work if I view it in Firefox. In IE it works fine though.
нехай мій гаманець порожній
моя дорога невідома
я стану вільним, подорожнім
найголовніше вийти з дому

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2007-06-06, 18:05

Это замечательные упражения. Достаточно трудные...мне нравится. :D
Диалог 1: 65%

О, а здесь, всё работает нормально с firefox-ом
Native: Nederlands; C2: Deutsch; C1: English;
B1: русский, français, 日本語;
A2: norsk, svenska; A1: português, italiano, español, čeština, polski

dorenda

Postby dorenda » 2007-06-07, 18:19

Now it works here too. Strange. Well, the buttons work, I still don't see the background, but that doesn't really matter.
моя дорога невідома

fireyez

Postby fireyez » 2007-06-08, 9:25

<<<<The background and the check and hint buttons don't work if I view it in Firefox. In IE it works fine though.

<<<<О, а здесь, всё работает нормально с firefox-ом

<<<<Now it works here too. Strange. Well, the buttons work, I still don't see the background, but that doesn't really matter.

Dammmmn I don’t really know what that could be. I never used Firefox before, but I just installed it and everything’s ok, I can see everything.

Dorenda, you sure you didn’t change anything in the browser settings?

65% - way to go! Congretz! 8)
Btw, them soundclips are really difficult, cuz there are some words and expressions which you will probably never find in the dictionary, but they’re pretty common in the colloquial speech, that’s why if you happen to have any probs with translation or understanding, then post you questions here, that’s what this thread is for.

ok, another one.

LEVEL: BEGINNERS
Russian Vocabulary: ANIMALS
Special thanks go to Axiom for recording all the soundclips. Thanks a bunch, Axi, you have a heart of gold. :flowers: Ok here we go.

http://fireyez.unilang.org/russian_foru ... lsvoc.html

that’s pretty easy – click the pic and you will see the spelling of the word + sound of course.

When you’re done with learning the vocabulary, you might want to test yourself, that’s where our next exercise goes.

ANIMALS. TEST

http://fireyez.unilang.org/russian_foru ... nimals.htm

Hope y’all can see it, but im not sure you will. :ohwell:

Good luck, anyways.

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2007-06-08, 18:11

fireyez wrote:Thanks a bunch, Axi, you have a heart of gold. :flowers:

Yeah, and you do a really good imitation of sheep in the animal test, too. :P

Anyway...продолжаю. :)

Edit: 99%. 8) Misspelled the russian words for monkey and penguin. :?

Axiom

Postby Axiom » 2007-06-08, 19:13

You're welcome 8)

Axystos wrote:
fireyez wrote:Thanks a bunch, Axi, you have a heart of gold. :flowers:

Yeah, and you do a really good imitation of sheep in the animal test, too. :P

Me?! :shock: :lol:

dorenda

Postby dorenda » 2007-06-09, 12:47

fireyez wrote:Dorenda, you sure you didn’t change anything in the browser settings?
No, not that I know of. But if it shows right on your and Axystos' computer, there can't be anything wrong with the exercise, so never mind.

That animal test was really funny, by the way. :lol:
моя дорога невідома

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2007-06-14, 11:45

fireyez wrote:Agent XXX

Doesn’t work in Opera at all. :ohno: I had to fall back on Firefox and managed to reach 71% in the first dialog. I did test some words on Google though. ;)

Egyáltalán nem működik Operával. :ohno: A Firefoxra kellett hagyatkoznom, és sikerült 71%-ot elérnem az első párbeszéden. Pár szót azért megnéztem a google-lal. ;)
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

fireyez

Postby fireyez » 2007-06-20, 13:30

Sup yall, long time no see!

@Axystos
Misspelled the russian words for monkey and penguin.

Unforgivable :tomato:

@dorenda
That animal test was really funny, by the way.

Why did you take that test? :huh: That was meant for beginners. :lol: But still thanx for enjoying it. :wink:

@CoBB
Doesn’t work in Opera at all.

Opera’s my fav browser. Been using it like for three or four years n never had any probs with it cept for the menu on Unilang homepage. I always test these exercises on Opera first and they work alright. Make sure your settings look like this
I did test some words on Google though.

Whoa! You Hungarians are an inventive bunch. :lol:

I'm at my wits end atm, can’t think of any decent sound exercise right now, that’s why in the next exercise you’re guna hafta fill out the gaps again. For all Harry Potter fans – the dialogue from

Image Harry Potter n the Prisoner of Azkaban
(there’s a spelling mistake – Recourses – should be resources I guess, but I'm too lazy to correct it right now, sorry bout that)

http://fireyez.unilang.org/russian_foru ... /snape.htm

hope that works

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2007-06-20, 20:24

Это работает. :)

I got 60%. Not bad, actually, considering the fact that I've been neglecting my Russian greatly. :oops:

dorenda

Postby dorenda » 2007-06-21, 8:53

fireyez wrote:Why did you take that test? :huh: That was meant for beginners. :lol: But still thanx for enjoying it. :wink:
Because I was to curious to see what it was like to not take it. :)
моя дорога невідома

fireyez

Postby fireyez » 2007-06-22, 22:38

@Axystos
actually, considering the fact that I've been neglecting my Russian greatly.

Didn’t really get whether you were being sorry by saying you’d been neglecting your Russian or whether you were angling for a compliment I mean like *hey ive been neglecting it n still I got 60 percent, I'm so smart, yay!* :lol: good job in either case. 8)

@dorenda
Because I was to curious to see what it was like to not take it.

Whoa, I always thought the dutch ppl were kind of *I don’t give a damn* kind of ppl. :lol: Not really curious of things at all. Dammmn you’re ruining all my dutch stereotypes. :evil: :lol:

Guys, help needed!
We’ve been thinking of making a short pronunciation course – tongue-twisters n stuff, but we really don’t like the idea that those exercises can be practiced online only, we want something that can be downloaded n practiced without getting online, here’s the link of the first tongue-twister read by Axiom. It should work in full-screen mode like Counter-strike game :lol: (yupppp i wanted it that way :lol: )

IMPORTANT: to exit the application you have to press ESC

http://fireyez.unilang.org/russian_foru ... er_One.rar

Thanks in advance! I mean thanks for testing it.

dorenda

Postby dorenda » 2007-06-24, 20:43

fireyez wrote:
Because I was to curious to see what it was like to not take it.

Whoa, I always thought the dutch ppl were kind of *I don’t give a damn* kind of ppl. :lol: Not really curious of things at all. Dammmn you’re ruining all my dutch stereotypes. :evil: :lol:
Good, good :lol: So what other stereotypes do you have about the Dutch? Just so I can try to ruin them... :P

I don't know if that exercise is supposed to have the possibility to listen to each line separately, like the online version has (if I remember correctly), but that doesn't work. Otherwise, everything works fine here.
моя дорога невідома

fireyez

Postby fireyez » 2007-06-25, 19:43

Good, good So what other stereotypes do you have about the Dutch? Just so I can try to ruin them...

Well I don’t think I remember them all. Ok just a couple of them. :ohwell:

1. if you ain't dutch, you ain't much (myth busted)
2. dull, boring, not curious ppl (busted)
3. the dutch eat raw fish :?
4. the dutch eat french fries with mayonnaise :shock: :shock: :shock: instead of ketchup :?
5. dutch women are obsessed with cleaning their house or apt that's why that have to get up like at five am every day to wash the windows and stuff. washing windows every day is abit too much, don't you think? :lol:
6. every dutch family has cannabis as a house plant 8) , so do I btw :D , and that makes me feel myself soooooooo dutch 8) :lol:

I don't know if that exercise is supposed to have the possibility to listen to each line separately, like the online version has (if I remember correctly), but that doesn't work. Otherwise, everything works fine here.

Dammmn I thought I’d have no probs with that. :? Each line is supposed to have sound when clicked, otherwise there’s no point in making such an exercise if you can’t listen each line separately. Dammn I don’t even know what the prob is, cuz as usual it works alright on my pc. Axiom downloaded it too n as far as I understood she had no probs with it either. Are you sure you clicked each line very well? :lol: What about the small button at the bottom? Did it have sound?

thanks for testing it, anyways :wink:

Edit:
dayum, ive clean forgotten, all dutch ppl are blond n pale like hell :lol: you're pale, arentcha? :lol:

dorenda

Postby dorenda » 2007-06-26, 20:57

fireyez wrote:3. the dutch eat raw fish :?
You mean herring? Bah... I wouldn't eat it. But you are right, it is eaten raw.

fireyez wrote:4. the dutch eat french fries with mayonnaise :shock: :shock: :shock: instead of ketchup :?
Of course we do! It's the best. :) But we sometimes eat it with ketchup too. Or with ketchup, mayonaise and raw cut up onions. Or with some other strange things, like peanut sauce.

fireyez wrote:5. dutch women are obsessed with cleaning their house or apt that's why that have to get up like at five am every day to wash the windows and stuff. washing windows every day is abit too much, don't you think? :lol:
No way. Only some of the 50+ generation still clean everything once a week (but usually not the windows). Nowadays it seems like many people don't even learn how to properly clean their house... So: busted.

fireyez wrote:6. every dutch family has cannabis as a house plant 8) , so do I btw :D , and that makes me feel myself soooooooo dutch 8) :lol:
Ha, no, we're way too economical/frugal (? I hope that's what I actually mean ;) ) for that. Those plants need a lot of light, you know, so it costs a lot of electricity. ;) But we do have lots of other plants in our houses. busted

fireyez wrote:dayum, ive clean forgotten, all dutch ppl are blond n pale like hell :lol: you're pale, arentcha? :lol:
Sometimes I'm pale, but not always. But I do have a pretty light skin (unless I've been in the sun for a while, then it turns very red and everybody thinks I'm sunburnt, which is usually not the case :) ). And I'm blond. But blonds are in the minority. I did a quick count for you when I was out today and I think about a quarter of the people I saw was blond. But some of them had bleached their hair, of course. busted

Sorry, that was all really off-topic.

fireyez wrote:

Dammmn I thought I’d have no probs with that. :? Each line is supposed to have sound when clicked, otherwise there’s no point in making such an exercise if you can’t listen each line separately. Dammn I don’t even know what the prob is, cuz as usual it works alright on my pc. Axiom downloaded it too n as far as I understood she had no probs with it either. Are you sure you clicked each line very well? :lol: What about the small button at the bottom? Did it have sound?
Good news! I downloaded it again, and now it works fine. Sorry for scaring you. :)
моя дорога невідома

fireyez

Postby fireyez » 2007-06-27, 16:04

yeah herring, but still you cook it somehow, right? I mean it’s not like you bring it from the supermarket and start biting it while watching TV? I guess we also have a myth like that – most ppl believe that Russians living in the north all eat “Строганина”. However, I met a lot northerners and each of them claimed that they had never eaten it. I guess they were ashamed to say they had :lol: , because Строганина is cooked like this – take raw meat and put it into a warm place just so it goes off faster :lol: – when it has really nasty smell, put it into a freezer (or just put it someplace in the balcony – it’s always gawdamn cold up north in Russia :yep: – when the decaying meat turns into an ice brick, chop it up into really tiny slices ( a grater would be of good help here) – that’s it, Строганина’s ready, but you have to eat it before it starts melting because it starts smelling then again. :lol: (some ppl use fish instead of meat)

here we do love mayonnaise a lot, but French fries are probably the only thing that we don’t eat with mayonnaise (but I guess some ppl do)

raw cut up onions go good with salo, you’ve been to Ukraine, so you know what it is :lol:
No way. Only some of the 50+ generation still clean everything once a week (but usually not the windows). Nowadays it seems like many people don't even learn how to properly clean their house... So: busted.

Hmm now that’s weird cuz I definitely remember reading in some book that dutch ppl wash their windows every day, that’s why that seemed so weird to me. :?

Ha, no, we're way too economical/frugal (? I hope that's what I actually mean ) for that. Those plants need a lot of light, you know, so it costs a lot of electricity. But we do have lots of other plants in our houses. Busted

Oh c’mon, they don’t really need a lot of light – my canabie plant hardly gets the half of all the necessary light n still it grows alright. Here have a look, does it differ a lot from the dutch ones?

sorry for the pic quality, was taken by my cellphone, but i didn't bother to make the camera settings better

Sometimes I'm pale, but not always. But I do have a pretty light skin (unless I've been in the sun for a while, then it turns very red and everybody thinks I'm sunburnt, which is usually not the case ). And I'm blond. But blonds are in the minority. I did a quick count for you when I was out today and I think about a quarter of the people I saw was blond. But some of them had bleached their hair, of course. busted

You must have seen three quarters of immigrants then cuz all dutch ppl I ever met were blond or dirty blond. Looks like the dutch are in the minority in Netherlands :lol: *kidding*
Sorry, that was all really off-topic.

You shoudn’t be. Ive got the feeling that on Unilang all off-topics are awhole lot more interesting then the topics they were posted in. :lol:
Good news! I downloaded it again, and now it works fine. Sorry for scaring you.

Whoa! Great! 8) And I was already thinking of compiling a flash player into the application. Yeah that happens sometimes – the file can get corrupted while being downloaded. Anyways since everything seems to work I guess it’s high time to post them tongue-twisters in a different thread. Thanks one more time for testing it. :wink:

Return to “Russian (Русский)”