[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
Tolstoy's Interlinear Translation for Language Learners - UniLang

Tolstoy's Interlinear Translation for Language Learners

Moderators: Lada, voron

lyzazel

Tolstoy's Interlinear Translation for Language Learners

Postby lyzazel » 2014-02-11, 2:57

Hello!

I have posted on Unilang for a while and contributed with a couple of language learning tools (most importantly - cooljugator.com), and, just like for the other few languages, I would now like to tell you about an Interlinear Russian book translation that I have recently released.

Interlinear translations are translations where the actual translation follows below each word or expression in the original text. They let you easily understand a book in a foreign language without a dictionary.

I have started InterlinearBooks.com and began releasing quality Interlinear translations since late last year. I have already released Swedish and Lithuanian, and recently, German translations.

Just today, I have also released a Russian one:

http://interlinearbooks.com/russian/

If you are interested in getting some Russian reading practice, check it out!

I want to grow the site and add a lot more translations to it, thus I'm trying to get the word out there as much as possible. If you have any ideas about how to get more people know about them, that would also be good! Any questions or ideas - I would happily answer!

Thanks!
Check out my project with interlinear translations at Interlinear Books

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Tolstoy's Interlinear Translation for Language Learners

Postby Lada » 2014-02-12, 13:39

Hi lyzazel!

I like your startup, you've made an awesome job!

However your idea is not unique, try to find information about Ilya Frank's reading method (it's quite popular in Russia and he started to develop his idea at the beginning of 2000s). According to wiki, he covered 33 languages.
Метод чтения Ильи Франка
He has even a page for English speakers: http://english.franklang.ru/ where you can download some texts for free.

The key to his success is that he's published by biggest Russian publish houses and he doesn't have any direct competitors.

In your case, I would develop Android and iPhone/iPad application with multilanguage description and try to make some PR. I haven't seen the product but your site and idea are really impressive!
My suggestion: make one page free to download or give free online access to this first page. I think this should boost your sales :)

Good luck!

lyzazel

Postby lyzazel » 2014-02-15, 17:08

Hi Lada,

Thanks for the kind words!

My Ukrainian friends have actually told me about Ilya Frank. Looks like he is doing a good job. Yet, the principles of his translations are a bit different to what Interlinear Books are doing. His translations work inside of the original text and they usually work on explaining grammar points. Interlinear Books only have translations below each word, thus, the reader is right from the start able to read the entire original text without even looking at the Interlinear translations once. Apart from that, as you have also noticed with your post, the main target markets for the translations also seem to be different: we translate directly to English, his translations are to Russian (although, apparently, he does retranslate some of the Russian translations to English).

Thanks for the suggestions! One actually does have free access to 'sort of' the first page of each translation in the form of an image, but, you're right: we should probably consider expanding that.

Thanks!
Check out my project with interlinear translations at Interlinear Books

Scarbo23

Postby Scarbo23 » 2014-06-15, 0:29

lyzazel, you don't have accent marks in the book?

It looks as though not. I want to be sure.

Return to “Russian (Русский)”