[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Pronunciation of <ця, цю, цё> - UniLang

Pronunciation of <ця, цю, цё>

Moderators: Lada, voron

gfl87

Pronunciation of <ця, цю, цё>

Postby gfl87 » 2015-02-10, 16:25

Hello everybody!
I read that in some words the (rare) sequences <ця, цю, цё> are better pronounced with palatalisation. What's the best realisation in such cases, then? I've myself found some few instances of [t̻ʲsʲ] (thus = /tʲ/). Is it a recommendable pronunciation?
And where can I find a complete list of words having this peculiar pronunciation? So far I've found <Пацюк, фрицёнок, хуацяо, Цюрих, Цюрупа, Цявловский, шпицята>.

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Pronunciation of <ця, цю, цё>

Postby Lada » 2015-02-11, 8:37

ця, цю, цё is a big rarity in Russian language, all the words containing these combinations are not of Russian origin and thus they are pronounced with hard ц.
However some words have a tradition to palatalise this letter. The only case I personally know is Цюрупа - there's such street in Moscow and it's pronounced soft, but all other words in your list I would say with hard ц.
http://ru.forvo.com/word/%D1%86%D1%8E%D1%80%D1%83%D0%BF%D0%B0/ - this is pronouciation of Цюрупа.

I think this is a minor feature in pronouciation of these words, so I would recommend you to use hard ц. The words are so rare, that I doubt you'll ever meet them even in articles.

gfl87

Re: Pronunciation of <ця, цю, цё>

Postby gfl87 » 2015-02-13, 18:07

Hey Lada,
that's ok, thank you for your help! :)

Return to “Russian (Русский)”