[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Russian discussion group. - Page 117 - UniLang

Russian discussion group.

Moderators: Lada, voron

Linguist

Re: Russian discussion group.

Postby Linguist » 2014-06-23, 9:14

ChronoC wrote:I'm having a bit of trouble with the accent, and I realize that I just started with the language but are there any tips? I'm from the southern US and have noted that this makes developing an accent fairly difficult from any of the languages I've studied (not to mention I'm missing parts of my mouth due to cleft palate surgery) I have particular difficulty with the short e sounds Eg: Het

Sometimes grammatical knowledge can help you.

For example, thereʼs never an unstressed o after ж, ш, щ, ч and ц and the letter ë is always stressed. So if you see a world like “самолёт” or “мyжeм” (instrumental case of “муж”) you immediately know how to pronounce it. :wink: (an “o” after ж, ш, щ, ч and ц never can be stressed, if you have to stress it youʻd have to write the letter ë because it’s always stressed and an unstressed o after those letters turns to “e”, so as the o in the case ending -oм behind the stem муж- it has to be converted into e)

But unfortunately such cases are not very common and in my opinion it takes a long time to master :| And even I don’t know all stress rules. However, there only less rules and remembering the right pronounciation (especially in the case of nouns that change their stress in different noun cases) can be really hard.
Sometimes I’ll start a sentence in English y termino en español.

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2014-06-23, 12:10

Linguist wrote:(an “o” after ж, ш, щ, ч and ц never can be stressed, if you have to stress it youʻd have to write the letter ë because it’s always stressed and an unstressed o after those letters turns to “e”, so as the o in the case ending -oм behind the stem муж- it has to be converted into e)

Я говорил с врачом в больнице. По его мнению это чуть-чуть сложнее. :(
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto!
All corrections are welcome and appreciated.

Linguist

Postby Linguist » 2014-06-23, 15:23

Itikar wrote:Я говорил с врачом в больнице. По его мнению это чуть-чуть сложнее. :(

Yes but it doesnʼt apply in this case as the o in врачом is stressed anyway (as there are a few words changing their stress between the stem and the ending)

I really hope I don’t talk rubbish ^^ It’s what my grammar book says. :o
Last edited by Linguist on 2014-06-23, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I’ll start a sentence in English y termino en español.

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2014-06-23, 15:45

No, you don't talk rubbish.
It is Russian orthography that's a bit tricky in this regard.
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto!
All corrections are welcome and appreciated.

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-07-01, 11:36

Can someone translate this for me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJ1juNMaZA

Golv

Postby Golv » 2014-07-01, 13:03

There isn't much more to it than is already mentioned in the video description, but alright...

Christoph: President Putin, in 1914 part of Ukraine belonged to Austria.
Putin: What is that supposed to mean? What suggestions do you have?
Christoph: It means that today, 100 years later, Ukraine became a part...
Putin: I am already scared of what he is about to say.

Marah
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Marah » 2014-07-08, 18:40

Hi guys,
Does his accent sound native to you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuGJgPtbOsA
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-07-08, 21:20

He sounds native, with a regional touch (Ukrainian probably? I'm not sure).

Marah
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Marah » 2014-07-09, 9:58

Thanks for your answer Voron!
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Lada » 2014-07-09, 15:36

voron wrote:He sounds native, with a regional touch (Ukrainian probably? I'm not sure).

It seems to me that he's not Ukrainian, he probably lived outside of Russia for quite a lot of time. I would say he has touch of American English accent and his phrases are not too natural. Something foreign definitely exists in his language.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-07-09, 17:11

:hmm: Isn't it the way Russians speak in Brighton Beach? I think it's similar to the accent they have in Odessa. Idk it doesn't sound foreign to me, it sounds native enough.

dorenda

Postby dorenda » 2014-07-09, 19:04

And what do you think about his intonation? It struck me that in (almost?) all his question the intonation goes up in the end, while I learned that it should go down.
нехай мій гаманець порожній
моя дорога невідома
я стану вільним, подорожнім
найголовніше вийти з дому

Scarbo23

Postby Scarbo23 » 2014-07-10, 7:30

Anyone know where I can find complete transcripts of interviews in Russian? I'm interested mainly in interviews with Grigory Leps that are on youtube.

Marah
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Marah » 2014-07-10, 10:57

Lada wrote:
voron wrote:He sounds native, with a regional touch (Ukrainian probably? I'm not sure).

It seems to me that he's not Ukrainian, he probably lived outside of Russia for quite a lot of time. I would say he has touch of American English accent and his phrases are not too natural. Something foreign definitely exists in his language.

Apparently he was born in Russia and raised in Odessa.

Dr. House

Postby Dr. House » 2014-07-15, 12:33

What's the difference between сейчас and щас. A friend of mine is using the latter a lot. :)
Is it more vernacular?
Language experimenter

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Lada » 2014-07-15, 17:15

Dr. House wrote:What's the difference between сейчас and щас. A friend of mine is using the latter a lot. :)
Is it more vernacular?

щас - that's how you pronounce сейчас. Many people are lazy to write properly in the internet that's how щас was born... So, please write сейчас.

Dr. House

Postby Dr. House » 2014-07-21, 11:20

Конечно. :)
Language experimenter

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2014-08-12, 10:17

Lada wrote:
Dr. House wrote:What's the difference between сейчас and щас. A friend of mine is using the latter a lot. :)
Is it more vernacular?

щас - that's how you pronounce сейчас. Many people are lazy to write properly in the internet that's how щас was born... So, please write сейчас.

And many, including me, even pronounce it that way, or even ща.

Lada
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Lada » 2014-08-12, 19:12

Ща sounds kinda rude to me, though among friends I think it's ok. Btw older generations say this word as it's written - сейчас.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-08-17, 21:25

Я никогда не слышал это слово. Dr. House, Lada, и Lietmotiv, спасибо! :)

Return to “Russian (Русский)”