[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Best beginner's textbook - UniLang

Best beginner's textbook

Moderator: Varislintu

flickers1

Best beginner's textbook

Postby flickers1 » 2015-03-18, 15:12

Colloquial vs. Hippocrene vs. Teach Yourself vs. Start to Finnish

Gavril

Re: Best beginner's textbook

Postby Gavril » 2015-03-20, 9:02

Hi Flickers,

flickers1 wrote:Colloquial vs. Hippocrene vs. Teach Yourself vs. Start to Finnish

Teach Yourself is the only one I have read from cover to cover (I think I used the 2004 edition). It gives you the basics of vocabulary, noun cases and verb conjugation, although the edition I used (2004, I think) seemed to be lacking in certain basic details -- e.g., I never saw an explanation for how to form genitive plurals.

I read small portions of Start to Finnish when I first started studying the language, but I don't remember much about it. The edition I used gave the currency amounts in marks (this was just before Finland started using the Euro), but I imagine that the book has been updated since then.

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”