[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
books - UniLang

books

Moderator: hashi

MadHatter

books

Postby MadHatter » 2006-06-07, 18:45

I was wondering how many people here only rely on the internet to further their knowledge of Japanese?
I myself am a fan of books with CDs, as I have very limited time on the computer.

For those of you who do use books, are there any you would recommend to me? I'm looking for something that doesn't use romanji, and something (preferably) affordable to a 17 year old in highschool. :)

ladyskywalker

Postby ladyskywalker » 2006-06-08, 3:17

Japanese for Busy People (I) is an affordable book and does not use romaji, so it should really help make the hiragana and katakana stick. Not sure if you can find it in many bookstores but it should be available at Amazon. :)

<a href="http://aspiringpolyglotblog.wordpress.com/" target="_blank"><b>Aspiring Polyglot</b></a> - A blog devoted to languages and language learning

<b>Languages I'm Learning -</b> Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Dutch, Italian
<b>Languages I'd Like to Learn -</b> Ancient Egyptian, Romanian, Georgian, Modern Greek, Indonesian, Tibetan, Persian

Javier

Postby Javier » 2006-06-08, 6:35

But be careful - there is also another edition in romaji of Japanese for busy people (older I think). Unless you want to learn just some sentences in a hurry don't use romaji.
Ecuadorian | Native Spanish speaker. | Interested in these languages
Corrections appreciated -(Even in Spanish) ;)

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2006-06-08, 8:16

I don't know about affordable, since I bought my books in a secondhand bookshop, but "Situational Functional Japanese" doesn't use romaji either. Couldn't tell you if it's better than any other book, since it's the only book I've used so far.
Native: Nederlands; C2: Deutsch; C1: English;
B1: русский, français, 日本語;
A2: norsk, svenska; A1: português, italiano, español, čeština, polski

MadHatter

Postby MadHatter » 2006-06-08, 12:16

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate it.
Since my post, I've found a website and some books I'm interested in.
The website is really helpful (so far) with learning Kanji and Kana. If you're interested, you can find it here http://www.kanjisite.com.
The books that I've cast an eye upon can be found on http://www.jlist.com under 'Japanese Study Guides'. They're books titled "Genji" something... They look to be very thourough.

Rounin

Postby Rounin » 2006-06-08, 13:16

I'd recommend Genki 1 and 2, which use more colloquial language than Japanese for Busy People. As with a lot of Japanese books, its treatment of kanji is absolutely awful, so perhaps you could benefit from looking into a book such as "Remembering the Kanji" or something similar.

Ah, Genji, Genki, hehe... :)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2006-06-09, 11:15

Javier wrote:But be careful - there is also another edition in romaji of Japanese for busy people (older I think). Unless you want to learn just some sentences in a hurry don't use romaji.

I don't think they're older, just different versions. I have the German adaptation (called "Japanisch im Sauseschritt" which (also) uses Romaji (together with the Kana, no Kanji) and I agree with Javier. The problem is that bookshops only seem to have the Romaji version whereas e.g. Amazon.de only has the one using Kanji.
Please correct my mistakes!

Hyoga

Postby Hyoga » 2006-06-11, 4:30

"Welcome to Japanese" by kenneth Henshall with Junji Kawai, Tuttle pubslishing, is the best for me in the biggest bookstore in Tokyo and among books that I've been looking for.
I could learn Japanese from this book a lot..LOL

And Tuttle publishing has a lot of good books. It's different.

stiffanbond

Re: books

Postby stiffanbond » 2010-06-02, 10:55

Well I use Google translate to teach Japanese for vocabulary. I also Google search to learn Japanese language. Well I also some books and CD's Material to learn English language.

cumberbatch

Postby cumberbatch » 2013-06-22, 15:48

Aside from Genki, I would also like to recommend Minna no Nihongo but make sure you get the Kana edition and not the Romaji edition. It also comes with a CD because there are dialogues and listening activities for each chapter.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-08-09, 4:15

Genki I and II cover a pretty decent range of vocabulary and I don't remember seeing romaji in them. Kanji, as Rounin mentioned (years ago), don't get the best treatment.

Absolutely do not get the 5 Steps to a 5 AP Japanese book for any reason, and this goes to anyone who wants to take the AP test as well. It consists basically of a few newspaper clippings and tons of blank space.

locksleyu

Postby locksleyu » 2014-04-14, 2:32

I've studied Japanese mostly on my own and gotten somewhat fluent using a bunch of resources, but one of the first I used to seriously study is called "Yookoso! Invitation to Contemporary Japanese"

Thought its a bit expensive, its a great series that has companion workbooks and CDs.
Track your language learning goals (for any language) => http://languageontrack.com

Articles for people studying Japanese on their own - http://selftaughtjapanese.com

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”