[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
What is your favourite anime - Page 2 - UniLang

What is your favourite anime

Moderator: hashi

Bijlee

Re: What is your favourite anime

Postby Bijlee » 2013-06-24, 0:33

mōdgethanc wrote:Warning: Gore.

Everyone seems to think it's super gore-y, but I didn't think it was that bad.

mōdgethanc wrote:You forgot Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, by the way.

Oh yeah! Nausicaä too!
I only watched parts of Grave of the Fireflies and Porco Rosso though.

I've always wanted to go through and watch all the Ghibli movies. I'll get to it some day.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2013-06-24, 0:52

Karavinka wrote:Animes that I have watched in the last three months:

Anything good in there?
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-06-24, 3:33

Bijlee wrote:Everyone seems to think it's super gore-y, but I didn't think it was that bad.
I think it's just the first episode that turns people off. I'm not really bothered by gore myself (see avatar) but it was a little over the top.
I only watched parts of Grave of the Fireflies and Porco Rosso though.

I've always wanted to go through and watch all the Ghibli movies. I'll get to it some day.
Watch them!

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-06-24, 6:50

gyrus wrote:If you want to really learn, you'll have to watch without subtitles.

That's only true past a certain point of knowledge. If you don't know the language very well, being submerged in a show with no subtitles to tell you what's happening won't really teach you anything but that you're a failure.

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2013-06-24, 7:37

Yasna wrote:
Karavinka wrote:Animes that I have watched in the last three months:

Anything good in there?

Depends on what genre you like!

Some random remarks:

おれの妹がこんなに可愛いわけがない (Ore no imouto ga konna ni kawaii wake ga nai) would be (unfortunately) the most "representative" among recent anime scene. It's a romantic comedy about a guy whose younger sister is a serious otaku. The original novel series was finished recently, and it caused a huge scandal since the "heroine" who ends up with the protagonist.... turned out to be the sister herself. The anime doesn't show that ending (yet) but you might want to avoid it if that makes you feel uncomfortable.

There's been a trend de-emphasizing storylie and focusing on characters. けいおん! (K-on!) and 生徒会の一存 (Seitokai no ichizon) don't tell any story, where the former just tells scenes of charaters' life (girls-only highschool band group) and the latter little more than just characters talking to each other. I find some merits in it, that I sometimes don't feel like watching a serious drama but something light to snack on without thinking too much, but at the same time I'm kind of sad that this type of no-brainer series are getting mainstream.

僕は友達が少ない (Boku wa tomodachi ga sukunai) is a bit more "traditional" romantic comedy, with the heroines generally a bit more weird than, say, Love Hina. The first season had an overarching storylie at least; the second didn't.

神のみ知るセカイ (Kami nomi shiru sekai) if you are familiar with the cliches of "galge." You could be either laughing out loud or stare at the screen with blank "wtf" expression. Another worrisome trend... too many comedy series are relying on insider jokes among the anime fans/otakus to make it funny, making them hard to recommend to casual viewers.

げんしけん (Genshiken) is a bit old, though a new series is coming this July so I just "reviewed" it. Although it's somewhat idealized, it's a relatively more realistic depiction of college life in Japan, without too much "moe" elements.

I'd recommend 狼と香辛料 (Ookami to koushinryo). It's a medieval fantasy, but the protagonist is not a warrior hero but a common merchant. The story evolves around the economic activities of the protagonist.

I'm currently watching 図書館戦争 (Toshokan sensou), whose premise is that libraries form an organized paramilitary forces to resist invasive censorship in the near future. The premise is unrealistic, but the story progression itself is pretty good and mature, with some amount of action involved. I'd recommend it.
Last edited by Karavinka on 2013-06-24, 7:56, edited 2 times in total.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2013-06-24, 7:50

Bijlee wrote:I don't watch anime very often, but there are some that I like. I'm stealing the Japanese names from Wikipedia, so don't be upset at me if they're wrong :P

My reactions to some of them...

I felt like "when the hell is it going to be over?" with Inuyasha. The story lagged quite a bit without much progression for a long time... until it started speeding up and concluding almost as if they just wanted to get the thing done as soon as possible. The first 167 episodes tell the stories of mangas volume 1-36, and the remaining 20 volumes worth of story was told in the last 26 episodes, which should give you some idea why the fans found it not quite satisfactory. I actually stopped watching it for a long time and picked up the end parts just to see how it ends... and it was honestly disappointing. The pace could have been better managed.

There's been a large following of Code Geass, but I personally couldn't really get into it. I guess it's more like you either love it or hate it.

I can't watch Elfen Lied. I can't even watch regular horror films, and I have near zero tolerance for gore.... some of you might find it light-hearted enough, I guess.

I've got a somewhat mixed feeling about Full Metal Alchemist. I don't like the Shonen genre as a whole, where the protagonist just keeps fighting stronger enemies and getting stronger himself. In a way, I'm glad that at least it didn't drag on like Naruto, Hunter x Hunter or Inuyasha. I generally don't feel like watching something that's way too long.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Golv

Postby Golv » 2013-06-24, 13:34

Haven't watched any anime in a long time and never was a big fan in the first place, but I can enjoy a good animation with a decent plot. Some of those I have are:

Ergo Proxy - Visually beautiful and intricate. As is typically Japanese, the plot cannot just be presented to the viewer as is and unravels in the vaguest way possible to achieve maximum brainfuck effect.
Monster - Good psychological thriller. The pace can get slow at times, but the show is overall satisfying.
Basilisk - Romeo and Juliet, but with ninjas. Cool fight scenes.
Fantastic Children - Moving.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2013-06-24, 14:26

Karavinka wrote:Some random remarks:

Thanks! I'm gonna try out at least a few of those.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-06-24, 15:52

Karavinka wrote:I felt like "when the hell is it going to be over?" with Inuyasha. The story lagged quite a bit without much progression for a long time... until it started speeding up and concluding almost as if they just wanted to get the thing done as soon as possible. The first 167 episodes tell the stories of mangas volume 1-36, and the remaining 20 volumes worth of story was told in the last 26 episodes, which should give you some idea why the fans found it not quite satisfactory. I actually stopped watching it for a long time and picked up the end parts just to see how it ends... and it was honestly disappointing. The pace could have been better managed.

I've never seen/read it myself, but that's what I've heard. It's why I don't like the various Dragon Ball incarnations.

There's been a large following of Code Geass, but I personally couldn't really get into it. I guess it's more like you either love it or hate it.

I don't know anyone who hates it. Like you, I tried watching it once and just didn't care.

I can't watch Elfen Lied. I can't even watch regular horror films, and I have near zero tolerance for gore.... some of you might find it light-hearted enough, I guess.

I wouldn't say it's light-hearted, exactly; it's more like something that your mom said was incredibly inappropriate and you would never be allowed to watch as long as you lived, so you're intrigued.

I've got a somewhat mixed feeling about Full Metal Alchemist. I don't like the Shonen genre as a whole, where the protagonist just keeps fighting stronger enemies and getting stronger himself. In a way, I'm glad that at least it didn't drag on like Naruto, Hunter x Hunter or Inuyasha. I generally don't feel like watching something that's way too long.

I can only watch/read shonen if it has a ton of humor or an interesting storyline. Most doesn't.

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Ciarán12 » 2013-07-03, 10:59

Dragonball
Dragonball Z
Rurouni Kenshin
All the Ghibli films
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Hellsing
Outlaw Star

I haven't watched GTO yet, but the manga was great.
Beidh Gaeilge líofa chruinn bhlasta agam nó go bhfaighe mé bás san iarracht!

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-03, 14:36

Rurouni Kenshin
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Death Note
Trigun

I have a feeling I'm forgetting one/some . . .
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

pauro36

Postby pauro36 » 2013-07-04, 11:41

oreimo! xD Kirino looks like my gf.. xD

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-07-07, 22:21

Anyone like Attack on Titan (進撃の巨人 Shingeki no Kyojin)? It's set in a sort of medieval-y world in a place that is surrounded by a series of walls protecting people from giants. The the giants manage to break through(or else how would there be a story? :P) after 100 years of safety. It's centered about a boy(and his adopted sister and their friend) who's determined to kill the giants and explore the world outside the walls.
So far there's 13 episodes(plus a recap). It's still going on, so there's more to come...

I've been watching it lately. I didn't like it at first, but I'm getting into it now.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-08, 11:18

I saw that. I almost started watching it a few weeks back when it first started coming out, but I decided to wait. I'll probably check it out in a day or two, I like to try a few episodes usually.
From what I can tell, it looks good.
þūhte mē þæt ic gesāwe syllicre trēow on lyft lædan lēohte bewunden bēama beorhtost.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-07-11, 3:33

[flag]ja[/flag] 僕のが遠く「デス・ノート」だ。たくさん面白いキャラと話の可能さがあるとは、理由だ。みんなが明白にLを好むけど、僕はワタリと夜神総一郎も好きよ。反対には、駄目な事はたいていの女性のキャラの頭の悪さだ。
[flag]en-us[/flag] My clear favorite is Death Note. The reason is that it has lots of interesting characters and a realistic story. Obviously, everyone adores L, but I also like Watari and Soichiro Yagami. On the other hand, something lousy about it is the stupidity of most of the female characters.

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2013-07-11, 11:19

johnklepac wrote:[flag]ja[/flag] 僕のが遠く「デス・ノート」だ。たくさん面白いキャラと話の可能さがあるとは、理由だ。みんなが明白にLを好むけど、僕はワタリと夜神総一郎も好きよ。反対には、駄目な事はたいていの女性のキャラの頭の悪さだ。
[flag]en-us[/flag] My clear favorite is Death Note. The reason is that it has lots of interesting characters and a realistic story. Obviously, everyone adores L, but I also like Watari and Soichiro Yagami. On the other hand, something lousy about it is the stupidity of most of the female characters.

キラこそが正義だ!救世主キラ伝説は続ける…なんてね♪
Kira is the justice! The legend of the savior Kira continues...or not♪
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Golv

Postby Golv » 2013-07-12, 18:50

Death Note had some of the most intense moments I've ever experienced in an anime (up to around episode 5, from which the pace slows a bit) , but the second arc really ruined it for me.

I was personally rooting for Light, but I always tend to sympathize more with the underdog, which is, by nature of the Story, usually the villain.

Hydrosoul

Postby Hydrosoul » 2013-07-17, 7:23

I watched No. 6 not too long ago and really liked it. It's set in a science fiction-style utopia city.

I've heard of a lot of the shows mentioned, but I still need to check them out. x3
[flag]fr-QC[/flag][flag]he[/flag][flag]ru[/flag][flag]ja[/flag][flag]ko[/flag]

Raminta from LT

Postby Raminta from LT » 2013-09-20, 17:32

Pokemon :D
FullMetal Alchemist
A Channel :ohwell:
LT

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-09-20, 17:58

My friend showed me some clips from 日常Nichijō the other day to show me how stupid it was. I thought it was freaking hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm7JaNb-ERs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ypDDYDl70
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp3cM2wA7yE
This one is my favorite. How annoying that it was split up into three one-minute parts. The funny part is in the other two clips, you can click them yourself: Part 2 Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2p5LU28NHQ

Bahahaha. Anyway, I like this show.

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”