[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
How much written Chinese can Japanese speakers make out? - UniLang

How much written Chinese can Japanese speakers make out?

Moderator: hashi

Sternkrone

How much written Chinese can Japanese speakers make out?

Postby Sternkrone » 2010-03-14, 20:04

Hey all. :D

I've been really interested in Japanese for quite a while now and I think I'll finally have the opportunity to take it this summer. Anyway, I've felt a little bad for wanting to take Japanese instead of Chinese, since I live in Canada and there are Chinese people everywhere but hardly any Japanese. However, I think I'd still get some satisfaction from being able to figure out some signs in Chinatown and whatnot, and playing around with Google Translate a bit today it seemed to me like there was a lot of overlap between written Japanese and Chinese.

So my question is: how much Chinese text can Japanese speakers understand? Does a Chinese sentence appear to you as raw kanji that you can mostly get the gist of, or not really?

Thanks, just curious. :)
:D Please don't hesitate to correct my errors! :D

Nukalurk

Re: How much written Chinese can Japanese speakers make out?

Postby Nukalurk » 2010-03-14, 20:10

Many Chinese living in such communities speak Cantonese and not Mandarin which is the Chinese variant that is normally taught, so Mandarin might not be that useful in Chinatowns anyway, unless you don't want to talk with them.

Lightning

Postby Lightning » 2010-03-14, 23:21

That's the same in my area, the amount of Cantonese/Hmong/Hokkien speakers is a lot more than there is Mandarin, but there's an abundance of Mandarin speakers on the net! :) And of course, you're bound to come across a few Mandarin speakers in your city.

I've experience in both Japanese and Chinese, though it mightn't be much, and I would say having a knowledge of either comes in handy when writing the characters. When it comes to meanings and readings, I could take a guess at the meaning, but I couldn't tell you how it was pronounced. :oops: But since I have a lot more knowledge of Japanese than I do Chinese, at times, yes, a Chinese sentence does just look like a wall of Kanji. :lol:
[flag]en[/flag][flag]ja[/flag][flag]zh[/flag][flag]ko[/flag][flag]sv[/flag][flag]tl[/flag]

cumberbatch

Postby cumberbatch » 2013-06-22, 15:10

My "understanding" of Chinese is only limited to the Kanji that I have studied and committed to memory, ie N1 level only :D Which is, compared to the number of characters that are used in Chinese texts, not very many :) Oh well.

chostakovitch

Postby chostakovitch » 2014-01-10, 11:39

Um, quite a lot?

I mean, if you know a lot of kanji, it'll help you figure out Mandarin writings. Most of them means the same thing and some of Japanese kanji are just the simplified version of Chinese characters. There are books in Japan that teach you how to read Mandarin based on your knowledge of Japanese kanji. I had one and I was doing so good in that!

However! Don't expect that you'll be able to read the newspaper or something of that level. At the very most, you'll be able to kind of make out what the signs say. But hey, that's something.
「下手糞の上級者への道のりは己が下手さを知りて一歩目

locksleyu

Postby locksleyu » 2014-04-14, 11:48

I know a few thousand Japanese Kanji and can sometimes pick out the meaning of Chinese signs, and occasionally parts of other Chinese text. But there are many characters in Chinese which are are either not used in Japanese, not used frequently, or have a different meaning, so often I have an incomplete understanding.

It's kind of neat to be able to understand Chinese signs sometimes (like bathroom signs) but it's a very, very minor perk of Japanese.
Track your language learning goals (for any language) => http://languageontrack.com

Articles for people studying Japanese on their own - http://selftaughtjapanese.com

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-04-14, 19:01

Sternkrone wrote:Hey all. :D

I've been really interested in Japanese for quite a while now and I think I'll finally have the opportunity to take it this summer. Anyway, I've felt a little bad for wanting to take Japanese instead of Chinese, since I live in Canada and there are Chinese people everywhere but hardly any Japanese.
Why should you feel bad about that? If you like Japanese, learn Japanese. There are hardly any German speakers where I live but that doesn't bother me.
However, I think I'd still get some satisfaction from being able to figure out some signs in Chinatown and whatnot, and playing around with Google Translate a bit today it seemed to me like there was a lot of overlap between written Japanese and Chinese.

So my question is: how much Chinese text can Japanese speakers understand? Does a Chinese sentence appear to you as raw kanji that you can mostly get the gist of, or not really?

Thanks, just curious. :)
I would say it's like reading a French text as a monolingual (but still linguistically aware) English speaker. You might not be able to read everything, but you'll get enough of the content words to have an idea of what it says. However, you also have to beware of false friends, which are a-plenty.

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2014-04-23, 8:59

As a fluent reader of Japanese, here's my response:

1. You'll be able to figure out a lot of individual Kanji/Hanzi, especially the traditional forms.
2. You'll be likely to be able to figure out quite a lot of signs in Chinatown.
3. You'll be unable to read menu in a Chinese restaurant.
4. You'll have some chance figuring out headlines of newspaper or magazine articles depending on the contents, but there will be a high chance of complete misunderstanding. Don't count on it.
5. Forget about reading actual texts of any kind.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”