[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
Romaji ! Help needed.... - UniLang

Romaji ! Help needed....

Moderator: hashi

abc_conlang_123

Romaji ! Help needed....

Postby abc_conlang_123 » 2014-06-16, 23:06

I am interested about Japanese and I know a very beginner level grammar , but I am confused about romaji.
I have few questions about it :
1) I know there are several ways to transliterate Japanese. Is there an "official" one ?
2) Is romaji important to learn ? Does it have a practical usage in Japan ?
3) Does romaji show pitch accent ?

By the way, if somebody would like to help me with japanese, i would return the favour by teaching some italian :) .
Native :  (it)  (egl) Fluent :  (en) A2 :  (es)  (la) Curious about :  (fi)  (ja)

Ciarán12
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Romaji ! Help needed....

Postby Ciarán12 » 2014-06-16, 23:29

abc_conlang_123 wrote:I am interested about Japanese and I know a very beginner level grammar , but I am confused about romaji.
I have few questions about it :
1) I know there are several ways to transliterate Japanese. Is there an "official" one ?

The (Revised) Hepburn system is more or less official, I have only seen other systems in used very
rarely.

abc_conlang_123 wrote:2) Is romaji important to learn ? Does it have a practical usage in Japan ?

Reasonably important, yes. Most Japanese people know it and if ever you are stuck on kana or kanji and need to rely on the Latin script it is very useful. Certainly, I think the usefulness well outweighs the difficulty of learning it (which is extremely minimal for most IE language natives).

abc_conlang_123 wrote:3) Does romaji show pitch accent ?

Not in any of the systems I'm aware of, no. But then again, pitch accent differs so much from dialect to dialtect (even from microdialect to microdialect) that learning it is, essentially, pointless unless you are learning to speak the Japanese of a very, very localised area.

abc_conlang_123 wrote:By the way, if somebody would like to help me with japanese, i would return the favour by teaching some italian :) .

Puede que acepte tu oferta, hablas italiano estándar y un idioma regional de italia, muy interesante ;)
Beidh Gaeilge líofa chruinn bhlasta agam nó go bhfaighe mé bás san iarracht!

abc_conlang_123

Re: Romaji ! Help needed....

Postby abc_conlang_123 » 2014-06-16, 23:34

Thanks for the helpful answers ! And if you are interested, send me a pm. Irish gaelic sounds interesting too !
Native :  (it)  (egl) Fluent :  (en) A2 :  (es)  (la) Curious about :  (fi)  (ja)

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”