[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Automation of labour - UniLang

Automation of labour

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
meidei

Automation of labour

Postby meidei » 2014-09-07, 19:51

So a couple of weeks ago CGP Grey this overdramatic video about the approaching and near-total replacement of human labour (manual or mental) by automation.
The creator of this video is quite biased and hyperbolic (he's known to have said that foreign language requirement in schools should be one of the first subjects to be axed because Google Translate is getting better by the day [while classes fail to actually teach languages]), and probably full automation won't come so soon, but still:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

I basically just want to hear other people's opinions about such a future.

My main reaction is that this is good and that we should want this to happen. Ideally, we should create a future were you aren't forced to work just for survival, but you instead spend your energy on things you actually want to do - even if it's doing a task normally done by robots in the future. It maximises freedom.

But as long as we have to earn money to satisfy our human needs and wants, then a future were less and less jobs are available is certainly not something to look forward to.
Knows:Cypriot Standard Greek & Cypriot Spoken Greek (el-cy)| (en)|Standard Greek - Greece's Written Standard (el)
Attempting:  (tr) (sgn-CY)
Resuming shorty: (fr)
Forgetting: (ja)

IpseDixit

Re: Automation of labour

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-02-03, 16:29

Allow me to spare 15min of my life and not watch that video (after all you've already skimmed it off for us). I basically agree with you, I think that's the usual fear-mongering against technology and science in general.
Permita-me de não gastar 15min da minha vida para ver aquele video (afinal de contas o sintetizaste tu para nós). Basicamente estou de acordo contigo, acho que isso é o usual terrorismo psicológico contra a tecnologia e a ciência em geral.

I totally support the advancement of robotics because I think anything that alleviates the burden of work should be welcomed, and being against it would be like being the 21st century Luddites.
Eu apoio totalmente o avanço da robótica por que acho que qualquer coisa que pode aliviar o fardo do trabalho deveria ser bem-vinda, e estar contra isso é como ser os ludistas deste século.

I also think that robotics is more likely to open up a lot of new opportunities for humankind rather than make us useless.
Eu acho tambem que há mais probabilidades que a robótica abra novas oportunidades pela humanidade em vez de fazer-nos inúteis.

But as long as we have to earn money to satisfy our human needs and wants, then a future were less and less jobs are available is certainly not something to look forward to.

That's true but I believe such a widespread use of robotics would probably oblige society to a change of paradigm.
É verdade, mas creio que uma difução tão estendida da robótica probablemente obrigará a sociedade a uma mudança de paradigma.

And as for google translate: to my knowledge we still study math even thought thanks to computers that would be absolutely useless.
E quanto ao gogle translate: parece-me que ainda estudamos a matemática mesmo que isso é completamente inútil graças aos computadores.
Last edited by IpseDixit on 2015-02-03, 17:06, edited 4 times in total.

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2015-02-03, 16:42

There is a cool Swedish series which deals with, among other things, this problematic.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2180271/

I totally support the advancement of robotics because I think anything that alleviates the burden of work should be welcomed, and being against it would be like being the 21st century Luddites.

Yeah, but then many would have to re-train themselves. What if you're 50 and suddenly everything you're able to do is done by machines? You'd have to take, say, a programming course to get a job. It'd be a real pain in the ass and many wouldn't be able to complete it. Those are real concerns that, I think, shouldn't be taken lightly if we don't want to see 21st century Luddites appearing.

Marah
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Marah » 2015-02-03, 17:15

IpseDixit wrote:That's true but I believe such a widespread use of robotics would probably oblige society to a change of paradigm.

I wonder what kind of paradigm that would be.
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-02-03, 17:16

Ludwig Whitby wrote:Yeah, but then many would have to re-train themselves. What if you're 50 and suddenly everything you're able to do is done by machines? You'd have to take, say, a programming course to get a job. It'd be a real pain in the ass and many wouldn't be able to complete it. Those are real concerns that, I think, shouldn't be taken lightly if we don't want to see 21st century Luddites appearing.

A transition to a roboticized society should be well-planned by gov'ts in order to avoid or minimize that kinds of problems.
Uma transição para uma sociedade robotiçada deveria ser bem planejada pelos governos para evitar ou minimizar esses tipos de problemas.

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2015-02-03, 18:21

IpseDixit wrote:
Ludwig Whitby wrote:Yeah, but then many would have to re-train themselves. What if you're 50 and suddenly everything you're able to do is done by machines? You'd have to take, say, a programming course to get a job. It'd be a real pain in the ass and many wouldn't be able to complete it. Those are real concerns that, I think, shouldn't be taken lightly if we don't want to see 21st century Luddites appearing.

A transition to a roboticized society should be well-planned by gov'ts in order to avoid or minimize that kinds of problems.
Uma transição para uma sociedade robotiçada deveria ser bem planejada pelos governos para evitar ou minimizar esses tipos de problemas.

Do you think your government would be able to do that?

Varislintu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Varislintu » 2015-02-03, 18:22

It's not like whatever we think about it is going to have any effect on it, though. It's one of those things that will just happen, due to economical forces.

And I guess it's going to bring with it an economical model that we can't even conceive of right now (or well, some people probably make good predictions). Kind of ironic.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Return to “Politics and Religion”