[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Racism - Page 3 - UniLang

Racism

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderators: Car, Luís, Johanna, Aurinĭa, Yserenhart, kibo, Global Moderators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
IpseDixit

Re: Racism

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-12-29, 16:00

Saim wrote:The charter's a joke anyway because you can pick and choose which articles you want to apply to which language. It's nice that it exists but it would be great to revise it and make a new one with some more input from sociolinguists and with more focus on normalization than just vague "promotion" and "protection".

Had it been a serious thing, I guess nobody would have signed and ratified it. :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-08, 3:21

A friend of mine who is white is really interested in India but has certain preconceived notions about us Indians and really doesn't seem to understand the concept of white privilege. I wonder how to explain it to her. Trying to do that sure is a painful process. :|

Johanna

Postby Johanna » 2015-01-08, 5:53

vijayjohn wrote:A friend of mine who is white is really interested in India but has certain preconceived notions about us Indians and really doesn't seem to understand the concept of white privilege. I wonder how to explain it to her. Trying to do that sure is a painful process. :|

Maybe you could start with an area where she is the disadvantaged one, like male privilege, and then go on to other types?
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-08, 5:57

Yeah, maybe, and that's good to know.

Thanks! :)

loqu
Language Forum Moderator
Location: Sevilla (Andalucía) and València (País Valencià), but originally from Cádiz (Andalucía)

Postby loqu » 2015-01-14, 16:14

Ludwig Whitby wrote:And I'd like to end this post on a funny and typically Balkanic absurdist note. The Croatian Party of Rights that was founded by Ante Starčević and that is extremely nationalistic and serbophobic is currently lead by a person called Daniel Srb.

:lol: oh, I love that kind of irony.

In Valencia there's something similar going on. The Valencian Ministress of Culture, member of the anti-Catalan party PP, and who is trying hard to eliminate any reference to Catalonia or the fact that the native language is shared with Catalonia from the educational system, is called María José Català. :lol:

IpseDixit wrote:For an outsider it's always difficult to understand who hates whom in Eastern Europe. My general impression though is that everybody hates everybody.

I have the same impression. I still don't quite understand how everyone can make a distinction based on 'race' between Serbs and Croats. Aren't the differences between them plainly cultural? I often wonder how similar that problem is to the nation clashes in Spain.
De tant que et vull, et trac un ull.
Qui no vulga pols, que no vaja a l'era.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-14, 16:31

loqu wrote:I still don't quite understand how everyone can make a distinction based on 'race' between Serbs and Croats. Aren't the differences between them plainly cultural?
Well, "race" is a multivalent word whose meaning has fluctuated and evolved over time. The use of it to denote a subclass of humans based on shared physical characteristics dates only to the 18th century in English, but the word had been in use for centuries before that to refer to "a tribe, nation, or people, regarded as of common stock" or "a group of several tribes or peoples, regarded as forming a distinct ethnic set".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Politics and Religion”