[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Questions about Chinese - Page 25 - UniLang

Questions about Chinese

Moderator: Youngfun

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Questions about Chinese

Postby Youngfun » 2014-05-14, 15:47

Junesun wrote:好搬

Easy to move / to transfer
不好修正

Not easy to correct.

着 indicates a static action, or rather describes a state, e.g. that man is standing, the car is parked in the road.
In such sentences with intransitive verb, it's common to put the verb before the subject.

Junesun

Postby Junesun » 2014-05-14, 19:21

Thank you everyone for your help! I understand this much better now!

linguistixx
Country: CH Switzerland (Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Svizra)

Re: language reform policy

Postby linguistixx » 2014-05-18, 18:16

hunxue wrote:Are there any governamental policy for a future orthographical reform of chinese language? Will roman alphabet replace hanzi in a near future?

This is definitely not going to happen. Chinese Characters are a very important part of the Chinese culture & heritage. I doubt that Chinese Characters will ever be replaced with a different Writing System. Long life the 漢字 :)
One forum to learn them ALL : http://www.linguaholic.com

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2014-05-20, 15:44

Thank you for your contribution, linguistixx. But there is no need to answer a question of years ago, made by a user not active anymore.

But since you brought the topic, there were some governmental policies to adopt the roman alphabet instead of hanzi. E.g. Sinwenz Latinhua.
The writer Lu Xun was also a supporter of this reform. The pinyin (and the simplified character) was initially wanted by Mao as an intermediate step through the Latinization of the Chinese language.

linguoboy

Re: language reform policy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-05-20, 15:56

linguistixx wrote:
hunxue wrote:Are there any governamental policy for a future orthographical reform of chinese language? Will roman alphabet replace hanzi in a near future?

This is definitely not going to happen. Chinese Characters are a very important part of the Chinese culture & heritage.

It's hard to make predictions, particularly about the future. Characters have been extremely resilient, but that doesn't mean their general use is guaranteed forever. I think that--even more so than pronunciation features (such as tones)--they are the major obstacle to the acceptance of Chinese as a true global lingua franca.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2014-05-21, 15:26

mod

Discussions about the obstacles of Chinese being the next lingua franca have been moved to a new thread.

linguistixx
Country: CH Switzerland (Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Svizra)

Postby linguistixx » 2014-05-31, 19:35

Youngfun wrote:Thank you for your contribution, linguistixx. But there is no need to answer a question of years ago, made by a user not active anymore.

But since you brought the topic, there were some governmental policies to adopt the roman alphabet instead of hanzi. E.g. Sinwenz Latinhua.
The writer Lu Xun was also a supporter of this reform. The pinyin (and the simplified character) was initially wanted by Mao as an intermediate step through the Latinization of the Chinese language.

I am sorry about that. I haven't seen that I quoted a post which has been written years ago :(
One forum to learn them ALL : http://www.linguaholic.com

Wolf to the Bees

Postby Wolf to the Bees » 2014-06-23, 10:14

你们好, 我有一个问题: 我下围棋, 但是我只认识日语的围棋词, 例如: Sente, Gote, Tenuki. 我找汉语的围棋词在哪儿?

That was my attempt at asking in Mandarin, please tell me if I got that wrong! :) Here's the translation:

Hello all, I have a question: I play Go, but I only know the Japanese Go words, for example: Sente, Gote, Tenuki. Where should I look for the Mandarin words?

谢谢你们!
Thank you!

Edit: maybe this isn't the right place to ask, if so then 对不起。 However in that case I would still ask for advice as to whether my above Mandarin was correct. :)
Last edited by Wolf to the Bees on 2014-06-24, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2014-06-24, 6:18

Wolf to the Bees wrote:你们好, 我有一个问题: 我下围棋, 但是我只认识知道日语的围棋词, 例如: Sente, Gote, Tenuki. 在哪儿能汉语的围棋词在哪儿

Try Baidu Baike or Wikipedia. But I can only find websites in Chinese.

Edit: Maybe this isn't the right place to ask, if so then 对不起。 However in that case I would still ask for advice as to whether my above Mandarin was correct. :)

Please, do not use 全角 to type English.
It looks ugly.

Wolf to the Bees

Postby Wolf to the Bees » 2014-06-24, 11:43

Thank you for the corrections. :) And sorry about the text; I didn't realise. I'm not fully 'integrated' with my IME currently.. :| I have edited it out.

And thanks very much for the links! The all-Chinese pages are good practice.

Momaxox

Postby Momaxox » 2014-08-22, 14:19

A new question; Are Chinese people using 在 (zài) as much as much as English people are using the verb "to be", for indicating something you are doing?

For instance; 我吃。(I am eating)
Native:  (sv),  (fr)
Good:  (en)
Learning: (es),  (zh)
Basic knowledge: (zh)
Really basic knowledge: (la)

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2014-08-22, 15:09

Usualy, most cases yes. It mre or less means the same as the present continuous in English.

But now I can't think of cases when it does not match. I'm sorry but I have no experience in teaching Chinese to foreigners.

enricmm

Postby enricmm » 2014-08-24, 20:21

Could somebody tell me if these translations are ok?

No salt = 不放盐
No vegetables = 不放蔬菜
No soy sauce = 不放酱油
Few spicy sauce= 很少的麻辣酱

Bear in mind that the context are short written notes handed to a cook that can only speak Chinese and we want him to know how to cook the dishes according to the tastes of our customers.
Native:  (ca) Native against my will:  (es)
Advanced:  (de)  (us)
Intermediate:  (zh)
Beginner:  (ga)  (ja)
Interested:  (ar)  (br)  (cy)  (egy)  (el)  (eo)  (eu)  (fo)  (fr)  (gl)  (got)  (grc)  (he)  (hi)  (id)  (iu)  (is)  (it)  (km)  (ko)  (la)  (lt)  (nah)  (hz)(Khoekhoe)  (no)  (non)  (oc)  (pt)  (ru)  (sgn)  (sq)  (sv)  (sw)  (tr)  (zhc)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2014-08-31, 18:14

A:他长得没有我胖,比我瘦得多。他穿中号的小点儿。
B:他穿大号的比较合适。

I'm having some trouble trying to understand this conversation.

A is saying that compared to him, this other person is quite thin. So why is B suggesting a large size? I suppose I'm missing something here... :P
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Pangu

Postby Pangu » 2014-09-01, 5:01

enricmm wrote:Could somebody tell me if these translations are ok?

No salt = 不放盐
No vegetables = 不放蔬菜
No soy sauce = 不放酱油
Few spicy sauce= 很少的麻辣酱

Bear in mind that the context are short written notes handed to a cook that can only speak Chinese and we want him to know how to cook the dishes according to the tastes of our customers.

Those all look correct.

With the last one though, did you specifically mean the Chinese "numbing and spicy sauce" with flower pepper? Because if not then you can just say 辣酱, 麻辣 is a very specific kind of spicy in Chinese cuisine.

Pangu

Postby Pangu » 2014-09-01, 5:03

Luís wrote:A:他长得没有我胖,比我瘦得多。他穿中号的小点儿。
B:他穿大号的比较合适。

I'm having some trouble trying to understand this conversation.

A is saying that compared to him, this other person is quite thin. So why is B suggesting a large size? I suppose I'm missing something here... :P

The conversation is a bit misleading... lol

But B is responding to A's second sentence. A said medium is a bit small for "him", therefore B suggested a large for "him".

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2014-09-01, 20:29

在 before a verb corresponds to the continuous tense in English.

我在喝茶。 I am drinking tea.

我不喝咖啡,我喝茶。 I don’t drink coffee, I drink tea.

When not before a verb, it means “to be” in the sense of “to be in a particular place” (cf estar in Spanish).

你在哪儿? Where are you?

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2014-09-02, 10:57

Luís wrote:他穿中号的小点儿。

I understood this the same way as Pangu, but the phrasing is weird.
I would have said: "他穿中号小了点儿" or "他穿中号有点儿小" -> if he wear M size, then it's a bit too small.

Pangu wrote:
enricmm wrote:Could somebody tell me if these translations are ok?

No salt = 不放盐
No vegetables = 不放蔬菜
No soy sauce = 不放酱油
Few spicy sauce= 很少的麻辣酱

Those all look correct.

With the last one though, did you specifically mean the Chinese "numbing and spicy sauce" with flower pepper? Because if not then you can just say 辣酱, 麻辣 is a very specific kind of spicy in Chinese cuisine.

Yeah, and it doesn't usually come in the form of a sauce in China.
I would say: 少放辣(椒)酱, or 少辣/微辣。

Pangu

Postby Pangu » 2014-09-03, 2:58

Youngfun wrote:Yeah, and it doesn't usually come in the form of a sauce in China.

麻辣醬 isn't common in China? It's very common in Taiwan and in Chinese supermarkets oversea.

Man I am salivating... :D

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2014-09-03, 12:39

No, because 麻辣 is usually cooked at the moment, using a lot of ingredients, the most important ones being chili peppers and 花椒 and a looooot of oil. :lol:

Though I've never paid attention at the supermarket if they have made ready sauces.

Return to “Chinese (中文)”