[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Questions about Chinese - Page 29 - UniLang

Questions about Chinese

Moderator: Youngfun

linguoboy

Re: Questions about Chinese

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-03, 15:25

Youngfun wrote:Yea, I'm always reluctant to explain 们 as the plural, because for example you don't say 两个孩子们 for "two kids".

To be fair, though, even languages with grammaticalised plurals often use an unmarked form after numbers, e.g. Hungarian két gyerek "two children" (not *két gyerekek). It's more evident from expressions like "五岁或未满五岁的孩子免费入场", since obviously it's not just one child under 5 wholl be allowed in without paying.

Youngfun wrote:More food for though about the etymology of 们:http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2267572&p=11422635#post11422635

That stuff about a "oblique Altaic ending" is nonsense. The polite forms are transparently derived from contraction of -men, e.g. tāmen > tām [still found in some dialects] > tān. And there's nothing "ungrammatical" about "double plurals". You find these frequently in other languages. In fact, children is one such example.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Pangu

Postby Pangu » 2015-01-03, 17:14

linguoboy wrote:To be fair, though, even languages with grammaticalised plurals often use an unmarked form after numbers, e.g. Hungarian két gyerek "two children" (not *két gyerekek). It's more evident from expressions like "五岁或未满五岁的孩子免费入场", since obviously it's not just one child under 5 wholl be allowed in without paying.

That's only "incorrect" if you use the English grammatical standard, something you were against a few posts ago.

In the case of the Chinese example, it means moe like "ANY child under 5 will be free".

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-04, 4:26

Pangu wrote:
linguoboy wrote:To be fair, though, even languages with grammaticalised plurals often use an unmarked form after numbers, e.g. Hungarian két gyerek "two children" (not *két gyerekek). It's more evident from expressions like "五岁或未满五岁的孩子免费入场", since obviously it's not just one child under 5 wholl be allowed in without paying.

That's only "incorrect" if you use the English grammatical standard, something you were against a few posts ago.

In the case of the Chinese example, it means moe like "ANY child under 5 will be free".

My question for you is: Would you accept 孩子们 here and, if so, would it alter the meaning of the sentence?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Pangu

Postby Pangu » 2015-01-04, 5:15

linguoboy wrote:
Pangu wrote:

My question for you is: Would you accept 孩子们 here and, if so, would it alter the meaning of the sentence?

Not for a sign (formal), but if it was part of a conversation (colloquial), yes, but not necessary.

Example: 這裡五歲和以下的孩子們可以免費入場。

But the point is, in Chinese, it's a different concept than say in English. In the example YOU gave, it was never meant as "CHILDREN" (plural), but simply "ANY CHILD" or "A CHILD (that is)".

Dr. House

Postby Dr. House » 2015-01-04, 21:00

Thank you. And what is the difference between 工作 and 上班?

This time I should probably use it within some context.

她不在家她在工作。vs 她不在家她在上班。
Language experimenter

Pangu

Postby Pangu » 2015-01-04, 22:12

Dr. House wrote:Thank you. And what is the difference between 工作 and 上班?

她不在家她在工作。vs 她不在家她在上班。

Both can be roughly translated as the verb "work". However, 工作 generally implies it's more active and perhaps even more laborious. 上班 generally implies one is in his or her "shift" and may not be constantly actively doing something. It also implies some kind of employment. If I were to "work" in the backyard, like mowing the lawn, trimming trees... etc. I would only use 工作. They usually can be used interchangeably though.

ling

Postby ling » 2015-01-08, 13:07

Dr. House wrote:Thank you. And what is the difference between 工作 and 上班?

她不在家她在工作。vs 她不在家她在上班。

上班 implies going to or being at one's regular place of work and working.

工作 is just plain old work.
Native:  (en) Advanced:  (zh) Actively studying:  (th) (id) Passively dabbling:  (lkt)

Linguist

Postby Linguist » 2015-02-15, 20:48

Can anyone translate this sentnce? Some guy sent it to me, I’m afraid it’s an insult :|

我是中国人汪杈嗯。
Sometimes I’ll start a sentence in English y termino en español.

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2015-02-20, 22:21

Doesn't seem so, since the first five characters translate into "I am a Chinese person". The last three I couldn't make sense of, unless they're that person's name (Cha En Wang).
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2015-02-21, 6:53

Yea, it' a badly written sentence. I'm not sure if he means "I am Chinese, Wang Chaen" or "I am Chinese and my name is Wang Chaen".

Return to “Chinese (中文)”