[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
What are the things you think you must do if you travel to - UniLang

What are the things you think you must do if you travel to

Moderator: Youngfun

Tara

What are the things you think you must do if you travel to

Postby Tara » 2014-09-17, 11:25

Just very curious about what are the things if think you must do when travel to China ? And what is the reason. For me I think I will go the metro and see how crowed it is in the rush hours. Because I know that China has a huge population, so I wanna get a chance to see how is the feeling living with this big amount of people. Curious for other people’s answers.

linguoboy

Re: What are the things you think you must do if you travel to

Postby linguoboy » 2014-09-17, 13:11

Tara wrote:Just very curious about what are the things if think you must do when travel to China ? And what is the reason. For me I think I will go the metro and see how crowed it is in the rush hours. Because I know that China has a huge population, so I wanna get a chance to see how is the feeling living with this big amount of people. Curious for other people’s answers.

I don't understand. Aren't you in China already?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

ling

Postby ling » 2014-09-17, 14:18

You must get a good proxy, otherwise you can't get on Facebook, YouTube and even Google sometimes.
Native:  (en) Advanced:  (zh) Actively studying:  (th) (id) Passively dabbling:  (lkt)

Tara

Postby Tara » 2014-09-18, 2:28

linguoboy wrote:
Tara wrote:Just very curious about what are the things if think you must do when travel to China ? And what is the reason. For me I think I will go the metro and see how crowed it is in the rush hours. Because I know that China has a huge population, so I wanna get a chance to see how is the feeling living with this big amount of people. Curious for other people’s answers.

I don't understand. Aren't you in China already?

I am in China and actually i am Chinese, so i wanna know what is foreigners' opinion about this question.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-09-18, 15:58

Okay, I was confused because you asked the question and then answered it yourself. Personally, I have no interest at all in being in a crowded metro anywhere. We avoided all public transportation when we were in China and either walked or took cabs.

Before I went, I was most interested in the street food. I love to eat, and I love to see what other people eat. We had some great restaurant meals, but some of the most memorable things we found were from street vendors, like the grilled chicken hearts we bought from a chuānr seller in Beijing. In Xi'an, I was fascinated to see them serving roast meat on flatbread that looked almost identical to the kind of shwarma/döner/gyros you find on the other side of Asia and something that was the spitting image of halwa, only made with mung bean instead of sesame seed.

We actually had a falling out with the tour company we contracted with because of the mediocre restaurants and bland meals they kept supplying us with. One night I stormed right out of a near-empty Cantonese place that was bad even by American standard and demanded to be taken to a snack street. The food I got there was ten times better than the slop they tried to feed us. I guess they're used to accommodating much less adventurous diners.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2014-09-18, 18:39

- travel on the high-speed trains, especially the Beijing-Shanghai line
- visit the nicest bookstores China has to offer
- go to the ice festival in Harbin
- take a stroll through the scenic areas of Hangzhou
- relax by the ocean on Hainan
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2014-09-21, 11:52

I'm tired of living in Beijing. Haven't travelled much to other places of China. :(

Seconded linguoboy about the street food, except scorpions, stinky tofu and malatang. I hate those things.

Checked all the Yasna's items, except the 3rd one. :D

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-09-21, 13:20

Youngfun wrote:Seconded linguoboy about the street food, except scorpions, stinky tofu and malatang. I hate those things.

We were disappointed not to find scorpions anywhere, only centipedes. Not because we wanted to eat them but because my spouse just wanted his picture taken with them. (At lot of tourists seemed to be buying the more exotic offerings just for the photo op.)

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Youngfun » 2014-09-21, 13:30

Not even in Wangfujing?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-09-21, 15:11

Youngfun wrote:Not even in Wangfujing?

Didn't see 'em there on any of my visits. Maybe it just wasn't scorpion season.

Perkwunos

Postby Perkwunos » 2014-11-25, 4:22

Personally I think the real China is in the western regions, Yunnan, Sichuan provinces I'd even go so far as recommend people not to go to Shanghai or any other big city apart from Beijing and get stuck into the Chinese countryside. Gansu, XInjiang and Inner Mongolia are very interesting places though you would need some level of Chinese to be able to travel around there. I still haven't been to Guilin, or other parts of the south yet however.
Native:  (en-gb)
University Major:  (zh)
A long story....:  (fr)
Having a crack at:  (wuu) 上海闲话

Pangu

Postby Pangu » 2014-11-25, 16:17

Perkwunos wrote:Personally I think the real China is in the western regions, Yunnan, Sichuan provinces I'd even go so far as recommend people not to go to Shanghai or any other big city apart from Beijing and get stuck into the Chinese countryside. Gansu, XInjiang and Inner Mongolia are very interesting places though you would need some level of Chinese to be able to travel around there. I still haven't been to Guilin, or other parts of the south yet however.

"Real" China? So the rest of China is "fake"? :roll:

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2014-11-25, 16:55

That kind of sentiment irks me too. One part of a country is just as real as the other, regardless of whether it fits the idealized image in your mind.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Perkwunos

Postby Perkwunos » 2014-11-26, 4:59

Pangu wrote: "Real" China? So the rest of China is "fake"? :roll:

Actually, to put it quite bluntly yes most of China is pretty fake. You have to go off the beaten track to places like 平遥 and 凤凰 to actually see original buildings and even then it's mega touristy.

Not saying that places in eastern China are not worth a visit but my point was if I was advising people on where to travel to in China I would tell them to go to the western regions SIMPLY because most people will only make one trip to China and I'd rather they got to see something interesting. What I get from most people who have visited China is that they were disappointed with just seeing modern smoggy cities and reconstructed temples, and having travelled around both the west and east I have to agree. Therefore I always tell them about my experience in the west in the hope that they'll give China a second chance.

Yasna wrote:That kind of sentiment irks me too. One part of a country is just as real as the other, regardless of whether it fits the idealized image in your mind.

Just like Rotherham is as real as any other part of the UK, I still wouldn't advise tourists to go there.
Native:  (en-gb)
University Major:  (zh)
A long story....:  (fr)
Having a crack at:  (wuu) 上海闲话

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-12, 21:23

Before I even left to go to China, I think I would probably try to make a lot of arrangements beforehand. I know that that's pretty much something you have to do when you go to India, so I would think it was necessary in China as well, although maybe I'm wrong about that. Once I got there, I think ideally, I would just stay in Beijing for at least three weeks. Sure, I'm curious about the rest of China, too, but I really would like to be able to stay in just one place for three weeks straight (and by that, I mean anywhere, not just within China), Beijing Mandarin is probably the one variety of Mandarin I'm most familiar with, and since my sister-in-law's family is from near New Delhi, being in Beijing should be good practice for dealing with the heavy smog and weird stuff in the air (and perhaps even stomach bugs) that I'm bound to encounter there, too. :P Besides, our beloved moderator lives there. :lol:

Return to “Chinese (中文)”