[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Turning a statement into questions - UniLang

Turning a statement into questions

Moderator: Youngfun

paul_a_j

Turning a statement into questions

Postby paul_a_j » 2014-11-15, 20:26

你们好。
My homework involves taking a statement and making questions around it.
你看, 这是张教授 的名片 。
这是张教授的名片吗?
这是不是张教授的名片?
这 是张教授的什么?
这是 谁的名片?
这是谁的什么?
The last one is my attempt at "This is what and who does it belong to?"
Sort of "This is whose what?"
Any thoughts please?

Pangu

Re: Turning a statement into questions

Postby Pangu » 2014-11-16, 2:33

paul_a_j wrote:你们好。
My homework involves taking a statement and making questions around it.
你看, 这是张教授 的名片 。
这是张教授的名片吗?
这是不是张教授的名片?
这 是张教授的什么?
这是 谁的名片?
这是谁的什么?
The last one is my attempt at "This is what and who does it belong to?"
Sort of "This is whose what?"
Any thoughts please?

Sentence 4 & 6 seem weird to me out of context. But of course they make perfect sense grammatically.

The only context I can think of where they make sense is the person didn't hear clearly what the subject is. So it's kind of like:

A: This is Professor Zhang's <loud noise> business card. </loud noise>
B: This is Professor Zhang's WHAT?

paul_a_j

Postby paul_a_j » 2014-11-16, 11:00

That's great, thanks very much.
The "This is Professor Zhang's what?" sounds fine to me :-),
Agree the last one sounds strange except I remember it from when our teacher found something which he knew we shouldn't have had but didn't know who it belonged to.
Example

This is whose and what is it?
It's my chocolate bar Sir!
Don't you know you are not allowed chocolate bars at school Johnston!

Ah school days were such fun :rotfl:

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2014-11-22, 13:40

So 这是谁的什么? is OK in Chinese, asking two questions in one sentence?
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

Serafín

Postby Serafín » 2014-11-22, 18:20

你什么时候去哪儿?

Is there a language that doesn't accept two question words in the same sentence?

Pangu

Postby Pangu » 2014-11-22, 20:26

Serafín wrote:你什么时候去哪儿?

Is there a language that doesn't accept two question words in the same sentence?

No one ever said it's not acceptable. I simply stated that it seems weird out of context, but still makes sense grammatically.

I personally can't remember the last time I've heard someone in real life said something similar to that, if ever.

Return to “Chinese (中文)”