[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
班门弄斧 - UniLang

班门弄斧

Moderator: Youngfun

schnaz

班门弄斧

Postby schnaz » 2014-11-24, 3:56

Hello to all,
I was trying to memorize the Chinese word for""hatchet" when I came across the following idiom:

班门弄斧
Bān​mén​nòng​fǔ​

meaning: " to show one´s slight skill before an expert". I´d be grateful if someone could explain to me how these characters have this English meaning.
"What a revoltin´ development this is." Daffy Duck

Pangu

Re: 班门弄斧

Postby Pangu » 2014-11-24, 4:38

schnaz wrote:Hello to all,
I was trying to memorize the Chinese word for""hatchet" when I came across the following idiom:

班门弄斧
Bān​mén​nòng​fǔ​

meaning: " to show one´s slight skill before an expert". I´d be grateful if someone could explain to me how these characters have this English meaning.

There was a famous carpenter in ancient China called Lu Ban who lived in the Lu Kingdom during the Spring and Autumn Period.

So in this idiom, the Ban refers to Lu Ban.

Men in this case doesn't literally mean "door" but instead gate, or better yet, front gate.

So the idiom is describing someone is trying to show off his ax or hatchet (fu) skills at the front gate of a master carpenter, Lu Ban.

schnaz

Re: 班门弄斧

Postby schnaz » 2014-11-25, 10:32

Thank you Pangu I am indeed grateful.
"What a revoltin´ development this is." Daffy Duck

Return to “Chinese (中文)”