[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Is there a tool to add pronunciation to the ideograms? - UniLang

Is there a tool to add pronunciation to the ideograms?

Moderator: Youngfun

Rivaldo

Is there a tool to add pronunciation to the ideograms?

Postby Rivaldo » 2015-02-21, 6:27

Hi,

I wonder if there is any software that can automatically add pinyin to chinese ideograms... I wouldn't mind if part of the pinyin would be eventually wrong.

I'm trying to read chinese in a bilingual text online, and althought I can quite understand the going of the chinese text along with the translation, I have to look for another text with the pinyin to know the pronunciation of it, which is difficult to do. If there's some how to add, let's say, little pinyin to each chinese ideogram automatically, I could print it this way, and it would help a lot.

Is there maybe any tool of this kind available?

Regards.

Youngfun
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Is there a tool to add pronunciation to the ideograms?

Postby Youngfun » 2015-02-21, 7:00

I listed a tool for that purpose on the Resources thread under "Tools":
http://hanyu.iciba.com/pinyin.html (Youngfun)
Converts hanzi to pinyin.

Otherwise, Google Translate also displays automatically the pinyin when you translate from Chinese to any language.
The most convenient way is to use the Chinese edition of Microsoft Word, it comes with a built-in pinyin tool that automatically adds the pinyin on top of the Chinese characters.
I'm not sure if this tool can be installed separately in non-Chinese editions of Word, and I'm not sure if equivalent programs (such as OpenOffice, LibreOffice etc.) also have this tool.

P.S. I'm familiar with the word "ideogram" meaning "Chinese character" because in Italian this word is also used this way... but I'm not sure if it's used in English like this...

Serafín

Postby Serafín » 2015-02-24, 6:56

"logogram" is better, yes

meidei

Postby meidei » 2015-02-24, 9:58

I'm not sure if this tool can be installed separately in non-Chinese editions of Word, and I'm not sure if equivalent programs (such as OpenOffice, LibreOffice etc.) also have this tool.

There was definitely a tool to automatically add furigana to Japanese text for OO/LO, but it seems like the author dropped in when newer versions were incompatible. But it means that the tech is there, if someone wants to code a new plugin (there should be a Chinese sentence parser there, probably in a Firefox addon). LO has an 'Asian Phonetic Guide' option, that allows for manual pronunciation aid input (and the plugin was basically a script with a dictionary that used that option).
Knows:Cypriot Standard Greek & Cypriot Spoken Greek (el-cy)| (en)|Standard Greek - Greece's Written Standard (el)
Attempting:  (tr) (sgn-CY)
Resuming shorty: (fr)
Forgetting: (ja)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-16, 8:01

Youngfun wrote:P.S. I'm familiar with the word "ideogram" meaning "Chinese character" because in Italian this word is also used this way... but I'm not sure if it's used in English like this...

Ideograms (at least in English) are symbols that represent ideas without indicating the sequence of sounds used to pronounce it. Certainly some people at the very least consider Chinese characters to be ideograms, but not everybody, as you can see from this thread. ;)

Anyway, I remember seeing a website years ago where you could read news in Chinese, and if you hovered your cursor over a word, it would identify the word, give you the pinyin, and tell you what it meant. I forgot what the name and URL of that website were, though, unfortunately. :P

Return to “Chinese (中文)”