[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 402: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 423: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Practicing Greek - Page 2 - UniLang

Practicing Greek

Moderator: Aóristos

Aberine

Postby Aberine » 2007-01-12, 19:31

:shy: I feel embarrassed now and I am sure his is better. I am going to e-mail you, instead.

Ioannes

Postby Ioannes » 2007-01-12, 19:51

Aberine wrote::shy: I feel embarrassed now and I am sure his is better. I am going to e-mail you, instead.

Don't be! We all, with few exceptions, make mistakes when learning a new language. Besides, I'm sure the Greeks you're trying to impress hardly knows anything about Greek grammar :lol:

HaggenKennedy

Postby HaggenKennedy » 2007-01-12, 20:21

Ioannes wrote:What kinda world are we living in anyway? Girls learning Greek in order to impress boys? It should be the other way around :x

Well, if a girl learned Portuguese I'd be quite impressed. :p And that's not a bad thing. :lol:

Ioannes wrote:
Aberine wrote:Well, smart girls are trendy nowadays. :shh:

I don't see any connection to what I originally wrote and your post :?

I think he meant we live in modern times, so girls are allowed to impress us. :)

EDIT: I thought, just now, that maybe Aberine is a she? :p If so... well, sorry, Aberine. :)

Aberine

Postby Aberine » 2007-01-12, 23:11

Ioannes wrote:What kinda world are we living in anyway? Girls learning Greek in order to impress boys? It should be the other way around Mad
-> You are blond!

Aberine wrote:Well, smart girls are trendy nowadays. Don't tell

In your post you express your surprise at the fact that some girls are learning a certain language in order to impress guys. In my post I further develop your idea by generalizing that nowadays girls are smart and capable enough to have other positive qualities than looks to impress guys with. That, together with the development of the attitude to both sexes in the society has led to the so popular "equality" in everything, which also includes girls doing things to impress guys. Furthermore my post implies that because many girls have the necessary qualities it has turned into something common for girls to be smart and that is why smart girls are more and more looked after. I hope I made it clearer now. Is it so Blondie?

Ioannes wrote:
Aberine wrote::shy: I feel embarrassed now and I am sure his is better. I am going to e-mail you, instead.

Don't be! We all, with few exceptions, make mistakes when learning a new language. Besides, I'm sure the Greeks you're trying to impress hardly knows anything about Greek grammar :lol:
->

Well I am sure eggo does know something about Greek grammar and as for the other Greek guys, I am not trying to impress them with my language skills at all... (Not to mention the fact that I am currently not trying to impress any Greek guys at all.)

HaggenKennedy wrote:I think he meant we live in modern times, so girls are allowed to impress us. Smile
-> :evil:

HaggenKennedy wrote:EDIT: I thought, just now, that maybe Aberine is a she? :p If so... well, sorry, Aberine. Smile
:laser:
:preach: Of course I am a girl! :evil:
Last edited by Aberine on 2007-01-12, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

Aberine

Postby Aberine » 2007-01-12, 23:32

Είναι η πρωτεύουσα της Γαλλίας εδώ και τουλάχιστον χίλια χρόνια, ταυτόχρονα ελέγχει το μεγαλύτερο μέρος της οικονομίας της χώρας, ενώ για πολλούς είναι, απλώς, η ομορφότερη πόλη του κόσμου...

Το ξέρατε πως...
• Το Παρίσι έχει μείνει στην ιστορία ως Πόλη του Φωτός από το 1828 που φωτίστηκαν οι κύριες λεωφόροι του με φανούς γκαζιού.
• Ο Πύργος του Άιφελ δέχεται πάνω από 6.000.000 επισκέπτες ετησίως, ενώ το 2002 συμπλήρωσε συνολικά 200.000.000 τουρίστες από τότε που κατασκευάστηκε (1889).
• Η Σορβόννη είναι το αρχαιότερο πανεπιστήμιο βόρεια των Άλπεων. Κτίστηκε τον 13ο αιώνα

It has been a capital of France for at least a thousand years, parallel it keeps the greatest place in the economy of the country, at the same time for many, simply the most beautiful city in the world...

Did you know that...
• Paris remained in the history as The City of the Light since 1828 when they lighted its main boulevard with gas lamps.
• The Eifel Tower accepts above 6,000,000 visitors per year, and in 2002 exceeded a total of 200,000,000 tourists since it was constructed (in 1889)
• The Sorbonne is the oldest university northern from the Alps. [It was] built during the 13th century.

HaggenKennedy

Postby HaggenKennedy » 2007-01-13, 1:27

Aberine wrote::laser:
:preach: Of course I am a girl! :evil:

Erm... sorry. :oops:

Aberine wrote:
HaggenKennedy wrote:I think he meant we live in modern times, so girls are allowed to impress us. Smile
-> :evil:

Why the angry face there? :/ From what you told him in your previous post, I think I basically said the same thing you did, only in fewer words? Or maybe it was because I said you were a he? :-p If so, sorry about that. :)

Aberine

Postby Aberine » 2007-01-13, 1:32

grrr :D
i haven`t been called a *he* since i was 5 and i had short hair like a boy! lol

HaggenKennedy

Postby HaggenKennedy » 2007-01-13, 1:36

Aberine wrote:grrr :D

Oh ho! Now that's something we need pictures of! When will you be uploading them? :lol:

Aberine

Postby Aberine » 2007-01-13, 1:40

HaggenKennedy wrote:
Aberine wrote:grrr :D

Oh ho! Now that's something we need pictures of! When will you be uploading them? :lol:

Is never soon enough ? :P

HaggenKennedy

Postby HaggenKennedy » 2007-01-13, 1:53

I think ego's already asleep, so I'll help you out with the translation (so you won't need to wait until tomorrow). Ego will add whatever comments or corrections later, if he so desires. :)

Aberine wrote:It has been [s]a[/s] the capital of France for at least a thousand years; parallelly, it [s]keeps[/s] controls the greatest [s]place in[/s] part of the economy of the country, [s]at the same time[/s] while, for many, it is simply the most beautiful city in the world...

Did you know that...
• Paris remained in the history as The City of the Light since 1828 when they lighted its main boulevards with gas lamps.
• The Eifel Tower accepts above 6,000,000 visitors per year, and in 2002 [s]exceeded[/s] reached [literally: completed] a total of 200,000,000 tourists since it was constructed (in 1889)
• [s]The[/s] Sorbonne is the oldest university north[s]ern from[/s] of the Alps. [s][[/s]It was[s]][/s] built during the 13th century.

Personally, I think it was very good. "μέρος" can be a tricky word, so I understand why you translated it as "place" (since it does mean 'place', 'locality'). But in this case, it means "part" (or percentage). There's also the expression "εκ μέρους μου (του, σου etc;)", which means "on my (his, yours etc.) behalf". Apart from that, there were just a few things like a/the (as in "a capital"), plural/singular (as in boulevard, boulevards) and adjectives instead of adverbs ("parallel" for "parallely"). So, overall I'd say it was great. :)

Aberine wrote:Is never soon enough ? :P

Lol. That's really a lot of waiting. :p That's too much even for someone as lazy as I am. :lol:

ego

Postby ego » 2007-01-13, 9:45

Great job Aberine. You always surprise me. I don't have anything to add to Kennedy's correction and comments.
Don't listen to the blondie, he is just jealous you are so close and you can come and practice your Greek any time.

As Kennedy said "μέρος" means both "place" and "part". It's a very common word.

I'll try to find new texts soon

Babelfish
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Babelfish » 2007-01-13, 10:36

Έχετε γράφει πολύ από χθες :shock: Δεν πειράζει, Aberine, όταν ήμουν εγώ νέος, είχα μακριά μαλλιά και με συνήθως πέρασαν για μια κορίτσι :x Πραγματικά αυτό συμβαίνει μέχρι σήμερα, αν και έχω αγριότριχες... Χαζοί :roll:

Σχετικά με την μετάφρασή μου, η μάλλον με τα σχόλιά μου μετά την:
- Με "βολιά στην λίστα" εννοούσα "bullets in the list" :?
- Ήθελα να γράψω "the origin" της εβραϊκής λέξεως, όχι "the root" της. Οι ρίζες των εβραϊκων λέξεων είναι εβραϊκά σύμφωνα, όπως ξέρεις :)

ego

Postby ego » 2007-01-13, 11:03

Babelfish wrote:Έχετε γράψει πολύ από χθες :shock: Δεν πειράζει, Aberine, όταν ήμουν εγώ νέος, είχα μακριά μαλλιά και συνήθως με περνούσαν για [s]μια[/s] κορίτσι :x Πραγματικά αυτό συμβαίνει μέχρι σήμερα, αν και έχω αγριότριχες... Τι χαζοί :roll:

Σχετικά με την μετάφρασή μου, ή μάλλον με τα σχόλιά μου μετά την:
- Με "βολιά στην λίστα" εννοούσα "bullets in the list" :?
- Ήθελα να γράψω "the origin" της εβραϊκής λέξεως, όχι "the root" της. Οι ρίζες των εβραϊκων λέξεων είναι εβραϊκά σύμφωνα, όπως ξέρεις :)

Έχεις δίκιο, πάντα ξεχνάω αυτό το χαρακτηριστικό της σημιτικής γλωσσολογίας.

"bullets" = σφαίρες. Λέμε και "βόλια" αλλά σπάνια

Aberine

Postby Aberine » 2007-01-13, 14:06

HaggenKennedy wrote:So, overall I'd say it was great. :)
-> Thanks :)
ego wrote:Great job Aberine. You always surprise me.
->:ohwell: I am trying ;)

ego wrote:I'll try to find new texts soon
-> I look forward to that. :burning:

HaggenKennedy

Postby HaggenKennedy » 2007-01-13, 14:39

ego wrote:I'll try to find new texts soon

Aberine wrote: I look forward to that.

Well, if you guys don't mind, I got a piece that could be of use. Here you go:

Όταν ακόμη ήμουν έξη χρονών, είδα μια υπέροχη ζωγραφιά σ`ένα βιβλίο για το Άγριο Δάσος, που είχε τον τίτλο "Αληθινές Ιστορίες". Έδειχνε ένα τεράστιο φίδι, το βόα, που καταβρόχθιζε κάποιο αγρίμι.

Στο βιβλίο έγραφε: "Οι βόες καταπίνουν τη λεία τους ολόκληρη, χωρίς να τη μασήσουν. Ύστερα, καθώς δεν μπορούν μήτε να σαλέψουν, βυθίζονται σε ύπνο για έξη μήνες μέχρι να χωνέψουν".

Glossary:
Άγριο Δάσος: Primeval Forest
Βόα: Boa (the snake)
Καταβροχθίζω: to devour, to swallow

Aberine

Postby Aberine » 2007-01-13, 15:39

:wow: But I am afraid of snakes :bittercry:
When I was still six years old, I had one great picture in one book about the Wild Forest which had the title "Real Stories". _______ one enormous snake, a Boa, which devoured some beast.

It was written in the book: Boas swallow smoothly completely without chewing (?). Afterwards, since they cannot move, they immerse themselves in sleep for six months while they digest.

HaggenKennedy

Postby HaggenKennedy » 2007-01-13, 16:07

Aberine wrote::wow: But I am afraid of snakes :bittercry:

Aw! Not to worry, though. The Greeks are here to protect you. :D

Aberine wrote:When I was still six years old, I [s]had[/s] saw [s]one[/s] a great picture in one book about the Wild Forest which had the title "Real Stories". [s][_______][/s] It showed [s]one[/s] an enormous snake, a Boa, which devoured some beast.

It was written in the book: Boas swallow [s]smoothly[/s] their prey completely without chewing (?). Afterwards, since they cannot move, they immerse themselves in sleep for six months [s]while[/s] until they digest.

Your translation was really good, so congrats! I'll just make a few comments:
1. "Είδα" (past tense for "βλέπω" - which conjugates as "δω", "δεις", "δει"...) means "I saw".
2. "μία" (with an accent) is "one"; "μια" (without an accent) is "a(n)" (the article)
3. "(η) λεία" means "(the) prey" (it's a female noun as you can see). I noticed you mixed it up with the adjective "λείος". :)
4. "While they digest" would be ok, but I marked it so that you could learn that "μέχρι" means, literally, "until".

And that's it. Congrats again. It was a very good attempt. :-)

ego

Postby ego » 2007-01-13, 19:30

Just two notes on the text:

1. έξη is an old fashioned spelling although it's grammatically more correct. Today we mostly spell έξι.

2. Βόας is a masculine word.

Here you have another text:

Ο κυβερνήτης της Καλιφόρνιας Άρνολντ Σβαρτσενέγκερ έσπασε το Σάββατο το δεξί του πόδι, κάνοντας σκι με την οικογένειά του στη Σαν Βάλεϊ του Άινταχο, στις βορειοδυτικές ΗΠΑ, ανακοίνωσε χθες εκπρόσωπός του.
Μετά το επεισόδιο, ο 59χρονος κυβερνήτης μεταφέρθηκε σε τοπικό νοσοκομείο, όπου υποβλήθηκε σε ακτινοσκόπηση. Κατόπιν βγήκε από το νοσοκομείο κι επέστρεψε στην κατοικία της οικογένειάς του στο Σαν Βάλεϊ.

Glossary:

κυβερνήτης - governor
βορειοδυτικός - NW (north-western)
ΗΠΑ - Ηνωμένες Πολιτείες της Αμερικής - USA
υποβλήθηκε - aorist of the verb υποβάλλομαι
ακτινοσκόπηση - X-ray examination

Aberine

Postby Aberine » 2007-01-20, 16:06

I'm back to the Greek forum :)

This Saturday the governor of California, Arnold Schwartzeneger* broke his right leg while skiing with his family at San Valley, Aidaho*, in north-western USA, his representative announced yesterday. After the accident, the 59-year-old governor was transported to a local hospital, where
he was given an X-ray examination.** Afterwards he left the hospital and returned to the home of his family in San Valley.

*No idea how those should be spelled.
** I know you would rave if i paraphrased it and that's why i translate it literally but it just sounds stupid.

ego

Postby ego » 2007-01-20, 18:43

:congrats:

Δεν έχω τίποτα να διορθώσω. Ίσως μόνο τα Idaho, Sun Valley :lol: :P .

Just a hint: Υποβάλλομαι (σε) means more like "to submit (to)"

Return to “Greek (Ελληνικά)”