[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 403: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_data::$country_names_en
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Undefined property: unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions::$regionsdata
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/ext/unilang/languages/includes/lang_functions.php on line 424: Trying to get property of non-object
Definite articles in Kozani Greek - UniLang

Definite articles in Kozani Greek

Moderator: Aóristos

linsky522

Definite articles in Kozani Greek

Postby linsky522 » 2013-08-03, 0:19

I now figured out that the examples in (1-3) are from Kozani Greek!!!

I cannot find any resource about the grammar of Kozani Greek. Does any of you speak Kozani GreeK?

=====================================================================================
I am looking for a Northern Greek dialect in which you say:

(1) u skilus
(2) i Yanis
(3) u skilus aftos (NOT: i skilus aftos)

Can anyone identify such a dialect?

Also, would it be possible to get a full paradigm of the definite article?

Many thanks!!!
Last edited by linsky522 on 2013-08-04, 20:50, edited 2 times in total.

dimos

Re: Definite articles in Northern Greek dialect

Postby dimos » 2013-08-03, 15:49

The variant "ου" can be found mostly in Central Greece, Epirus and Western Macedonia.
Thessaly, Central and Eastern Macedonia, and Thrace are areas where "ι" can be found.
In my village in Epirus old people say "ου Γιανν'ς".
"ου Γιάνν'ς κι ου Γιώργους είνι φίλj' "

linsky522

Postby linsky522 » 2013-08-03, 20:34

Thanks for your reply, dimos. Then, what form of definite article would be used to say "the dog" in Epirus area?

dimos

Postby dimos » 2013-08-04, 9:46

ου σκύλους :D

linsky522

Postby linsky522 » 2013-08-04, 16:39

Hmm... apparently, your dialect is not what I was lookin' for. Thanks, though! :-)

ego

Re: Definite articles in Kozani Greek

Postby ego » 2013-10-20, 13:28

In my Thessalian dialect we simply don't use the articles. We say "Ποιος ήρθι;" - "Γιάνντς".

I've read that in some areas of east Thessaly they use ι as the masculine article. I come from west Thessaly and I've never heard this. It's believed that this has evolved from the final -[i] of verbs. For instance in sentences like "ήρθι Γιάνντς" which is article-less, some speakers who need an article there, would reanalyse it as "ήρθι ι Γιάνντς". If this is indeed the case, then the ι article is an innovation and originated in dialects like mine that have no article at all.

I'm not sure what goes on in Kozani. It seems from your examples that they have one article for proper nouns and one for common nouns. It could be that but it might also be that your data reflects different speakers from different areas/villages? Or perhaps there is free variation in Kozani, with some speakers preferring an ου and some an ι article? The former may actually be an influence from the Standard Greek, since ου is basically just the ο article which is pronounced as [u] because it is unstressed.

By coincidence, one of my mentors at the uni has worked on Kozani Greek phonology. She is not originally from Kozani though so I don't know if she knows about the article. I will ask her

ego

Re: Definite articles in Kozani Greek

Postby ego » 2013-10-20, 13:37

In your example with ου σκύλους αυτός I believe we may retain the article even in my dialect :hmm: . Not always though; you could omit the article. Actually we'd probably say "αυτός ου σκύλους".

As for the article paradigm:

Nom ου η του

Gen (τ') (τ'ς) -

Acc του(ν) τ'/'ν του

The genitive articles are in parentheses because in northern dialects the genitive is eradicated. We only use it with proper names; never with common names. For common names we use από + acc. Ηence I did not give a neuter article at all.

In the accusative the fem. article is τ' before fricatives and liquids and 'ν before stops and vowels:

τ' γυναίκα
τ' Βάσω

'ν κουπέλα (pronounced [ŋgupela])
'ν όμουρφην

Return to “Greek (Ελληνικά)”